SuperMicro IPMI BIOS Updating - License needed?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I've never tried to update my SuperMicro motherboard BIOS's through IPMI before but it appears you need a license to use this feature? Can someone comment on how this license is obtained and if it's even worth it?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
It is a licensed feature that I think you'd need to get from a reseller or SM. I just use a DOS CD since that's easier.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
You can get a single license by reaching out to SM for a demo. I did this for a board that had a BIOS update freeze part way through. Once you have the feature it's great, but I wouldn't pay for it normally. As mentioned with iKVM and virtual media it's almost as easy and it's free.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Just out of interest does anyone know what it costs? I do use the workaround (boot cd image etc) but it would be nice to do it "properly" if the cost wasn't too bad.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
There are a few ways to do it. If you use the IPMI web interface you just need a license. You can also use their command line tool or a management app. Supermicro has a good video on the various options.

Mark Bradley

Feb 21, 2015
Virginia
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone tell me two things about this process:

1. Does the IPMI-based (i.e. licensed) need a CPU installed to use this BIOS update method? [Support alluded to the answer being "no".]
2. Some people use DOS and a virtual disk via IPMI. I assume this *does* need a CPU as it's a more traditional BIOS upgrade process?

Sorry for being dense on this. I want to be prepared if I get a new Supermicro board that needs a new BIOS for E5-26xx v4 CPUs. I don't have a spare v3 chip.

Thanks,
Brad

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
1. Not entirely sure, I guess the server would have to be off. However I wouldn't try it without a cpu myself
2. For sure you will need a cpu as you will basically be booting an OS. :)

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
For #1 no CPU is needed. That's half the value of it. Great if you've got an x10 board with an old BIOS and no V3 CPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Bradley

Feb 21, 2015
Virginia
Thanks, everyone, for the confirmation.

It's unfortunate Supermicro doesn't make method #1 free. Why have customers order a BMC MAC-specific SFT-OOB-LIC license from an authorized vendor just to use a product? Sure, it's < $20 USD but that's my point.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Because it's industry standard to pay for that, and usually more... SM already gives out more 'free' than others at the $0 cost/entry level management.

Reactions: StevenDTX

Mark Bradley

Feb 21, 2015
Virginia
Because it's industry standard to pay for that, and usually more... SM already gives out more 'free' than others at the $0 cost/entry level management.
Ahh. Guess I don't know this part of the industry well. My work keeps me above the hardware level. Home is where I pretend to be like you all. :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm not part of the industry either I just have paid $100 for Intels management port/cable/key and looked into other 'branded' management and then realized SM gives you most of what you need, esp. for a home user :) If you use iPMiView then you're really missing just the BIOS update and power management. I've been meaning to e-mail sales rep to find out what 'power management' does on a SM board as I've not seen anything visually I can't do so I'm thinking it may be an add-on to theier data center management app that also cost $$. Might be worthwhile to start another thread there's 3-4 SUperMicro 'licenses' you can get, the 4th may include the other 3 I forget but it's something I looked at.

$20 for OOB (bios update)
$40 iirc for power management
$120 iirc for 'manager app'
$20 for something else I forget lol

ALSO, SM does it by MAC so your used mobo MIGHT have it already... I think you won't know unless you try it, not 100% on this. May be worthwhile emailing asking if it needs changed/updated or someone here can provide some info.. I'm curious if any of my x9s have it too lol

Reactions: Mark Bradley