Supermicro H12SSL-NT no BMC light

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rosaage

Sep 25, 2019
Hi,

I put together a machine from used parts:
H12SSL-NT motherboard
Epyc 7f52 CPU
8x 32GB 2666 RAM (MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SI)

The motherboard and ram were sourced locally, while the CPU comes from ebay. The previous owner of the motherboard had an accident with the socket pins when getting it packed and ready for shipping. I have tried to make sure all pins look good before trying to boot it. I think the motherboard has been connected up and tested before but not been in active use.
When I turn it on the power light blinks a few times before staying solid green and the fans start spinning. I get no activity on the BMC light at all, according to the manual this is supposed to blink. The VGA output seems completely dead, I have tried with the jumper set for vga on and off in addition to a PCI-e GPU. The CMOS has been reset as well, and I think this is working as right after this it will auto-boot as soon as I connect the AC cable.

PSU is a brand new 600W with dual 8-pin CPU connectors, and I tried with a known good PSU I had as well (Only one 8-pin on this)

My initial test was done with all 8 sticks of RAM and after this I tried with 1 or 2 sticks in C1 and C1/C2 as per the manual. It seems unlikely to me that all 8 sticks of ram are dead so I would assume the CPU or Motherboard is dead. I get blinking lights on the IPMI network port when connected but my DHCP server is not giving it an IP. holding down the small id button near the rear I/O gives a blinking blue light (This should be controlled by the BMC?).
I tried running IPMIView and scanned from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254 which includes my entire DHCP range.

I used a torque screwdriver set to 1.6 Nm as per the manual (1.58 Nm in the manual)

Is there anything I could try to get this working with what I have or should I just buy a new H12SSL-i (no real need for the 10g) motherboard and try that? (Brand new from a retail shop)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

rosaage

Sep 25, 2019
there are 3 SMD voltage regs in the ASPEED (BMC) area. they brick easy
I think this might be it actually...
I searched around for info about these voltage regulators and found this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/h12ssl-i-stuck-at-bmc-initiating.38043/post-399832 where a user had noted down some voltages of a working board and looking closely my U6 seems to have a small chip in it and the voltage on L8 was 0.015 V instead of 1.15 V. I briefly touched it and it was really hot as well so I took out my thermal camera and took some shots of it.

Xinf_240414_213243_786.jpg4.jpg

Kerbys

Mar 12, 2015
I had the exact same from one i got off eBay. Had to have it replaced. These lil bare silicon die's are the fragile-ist things I've ever come across.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
These lil bare silicon die's are the fragile-ist things I've ever come across.
Careful - when I mentioned folks should be wary of getting the H12SSL and that it was >>fragile<< - I was set upon and with ad hominen attacks by folks who questioned what right I had to call it "fragile" :D:)

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
Check the U4 U5 U6 chips to see if theres been any damage. They get damaged easily when installing and removing any AOC. They fixed this on the board revision 1.02

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
they still brick, maybe overheating on the back of pcb ?
Is this revision 1.02? they moved those chips to the underside of the board
In your picture it just looks like some damage to the chips physically which might be why its overheating now

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is this revision 1.02? they moved those chips to the underside of the board
In your picture it just looks like some damage to the chips physically which might be why its overheating now
on revision 1.02 they are on the back of PCB. you can brick em by installing motherboard into chassis.
they get hot, maybe too hot on underside. there are some reports they bricked without physical touch to them.
at overheating they split because it only silicon sliced out of a wafer.

Last edited:

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
on revision 1.02 they are on the back of PCB. you can brick em by installing motherboard into chassis.
they get hot, maybe too hot on underside. they are some report they bricked without physical touch to them.
at overheating they split because it only silicon sliced out of a wafer.
Ahh i see your point now, good to know. Hopefully your board is still under warranty?