Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kevin OH

Sep 21, 2023
No, but I've had cheap AliExpress stuff just work.
Yeah, I was surprised to see anything that indicated anything different: I thought those boards literally just split the PCIe signals up to separate m.2 slots. I didn't think there was much active to them (although there are chips on them I guess...I've yet to actually buy one to look at it.)

Thanks.

HserHK

Oct 8, 2023
I'm considering using the H12SSL-i for a home storage server. I have an older x99 based setup. I was planning on using the nice PCIe x16 slots to put NVMe drives in, using a card like the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 (HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD|Motherboards|ASUS USA). I had always thought that if your BIOS supported PCIe bifurcation, those cards would work.

Comments made in this thread make me question my assumptions on that.

Has anyone used a card like that in this board to attach 4 NVMe drives to a PCIe slot?

I have seen reference to the LRNV95NF. I'm only finding that card on AliExpress. It is a lot more money, and I like the cooling on the Asus better.

Thanks for any insight!
I have this card and it works, make sure you have change the setting in BIOS to x4/x4/x4/x4 instead of Auto.

metebalci

Dec 27, 2022
Switzerland
I'm considering using the H12SSL-i for a home storage server. I have an older x99 based setup. I was planning on using the nice PCIe x16 slots to put NVMe drives in, using a card like the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 (HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD|Motherboards|ASUS USA). I had always thought that if your BIOS supported PCIe bifurcation, those cards would work.

Comments made in this thread make me question my assumptions on that.

Has anyone used a card like that in this board to attach 4 NVMe drives to a PCIe slot?
I have tested the mentioned Asus card briefly and it was working on H12SSL-NT.

HserHK

Oct 8, 2023
Did anyone try to use this board in gaming?

When I run 3Dmark on my PC, the score is much lower than expected, am I missing something?

AMD EPYC 7532
Supermicro H12SSL-i
8 x 32GB Samsung DDR-4 3200R
Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti WINDFORCE OC 12G
4 x WD SN850X 2TB SSD
Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card
Gigabyte UD1000GM PG5 (rev. 2.0)

gerome

Dec 29, 2018
Did anyone try to use this board in gaming?

When I run 3Dmark on my PC, the score is much lower than expected, am I missing something?

AMD EPYC 7532
Supermicro H12SSL-i
8 x 32GB Samsung DDR-4 3200R
Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti WINDFORCE OC 12G
4 x WD SN850X 2TB SSD
Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card
Gigabyte UD1000GM PG5 (rev. 2.0)
On the Epyc platform there are a lot of options to optimize the system performance.

The reason may be that the CPU is trying save energy too aggressively. On Windows by default the Collaborative Processor Performance Control CPPC is not enabled:
Chapter 4.1

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Single thread performance of Rome CPUs is just meh with the low turbo clocks. Switching to Milan should improve up to 20%.

I get "normal" scores with 12c/24t 7443p + A4000 virtual machine (ca. 11000 on Time Spy)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
We can't get this motherboard to work with EPYC 7773x. For some reason it doesn't allow us to upgrade the BIOS neither. We can uploaded, it states is successful, but it won't load it. Trying to get 2.5 version, but no luck. No VGA or POST on 2.4
you will see the new BIOS after successfull POST because the BIOS reports it to the BMC.
select update Firmware mediately, the Blue LED(UnitID) flashing indicates the update process.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
On my board I can't get the BMC to update the information on BIOS but the flash actually goes in and POST screens show the updated version and work as usual.

Have you tried reseating the CPU? What board revision are you on?

jnolla

Oct 18, 2023
Thanks everyone, it was the memory. Given the system would not boot up, it would have never applied the new bios. We had installed ECC non buffered. Once we swapped the memory it worked on all BIOS.

jnolla

Oct 18, 2023
It was a mistake, not intentionally. They were ECC, just not buffered. We used them on the Threadripper servers, and got mixed. :(

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It was a mistake, not intentionally. They were ECC, just not buffered. We used them on the Threadripper servers, and got mixed. :(
the OMG was more on:
why the f**k there is no POST code "incompatible memory found" or just mem.err like on Intel platforms.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Agreed, and IPMI showed memory as good, so we never thought it would be a memory issue. Took us all day to figure out.
IPMI shows you the last working config. no POST = old data.(not match CPU, not memory)