Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Depends on your workload in my experience. I have both a 7002 and a 7003 cpu and the 7002 is faster than the equivalent 7003 cpu just because of the base/boost clock differences and sku segmentation for market. The 7003 is slightly more efficient in watts/job for the same cTDP ratings between the two series. Probably would still gravitate toward the Zen 3 cpus because of efficiency gains.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
mb: H12SSL-i
drives: 24x NVMe
use case: fast storage for vm's

open ended question: what is the recommended sweet spot/$$ 7xxx CPU?
we need more info, what drives, what filesystem, what usecase etc? I've done most cpus from 1st to 4th gen in lab now, and ram/cpu vs workload vs $ is key

even 8 fast gen4 nvme, will max out with zfs on a 7763 or 75f3

we still deploy 2nd gen stuff because of price vs performance, and still decent watt (ceph), backup servers, backup hypervisors

for higher end storage, and compute, 3rd gen

and are now starting to replace the 3rd gen stuff, with 4th gen, but delviery times are long.. but! still deploy 2nd gen!

honestly ratio is like 80% 2nd to 20% 3/4th gen what gets put on datacenter

2nd gen is still surpringly good

ram has to match cpus, 7302, 7402 etc, no pint with 3200 ram, 7763? 75f3? yes you want that 3200, and of course, you want 8 sticks no matter what

Reactions: awedio

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
we need more info, what drives, what filesystem, what usecase etc? I've done most cpus from 1st to 4th gen in lab now, and ram/cpu vs workload vs $ is key

even 8 fast gen4 nvme, will max out with zfs on a 7763 or 75f3

we still deploy 2nd gen stuff because of price vs performance, and still decent watt (ceph), backup servers, backup hypervisors

for higher end storage, and compute, 3rd gen

and are now starting to replace the 3rd gen stuff, with 4th gen, but delviery times are long.. but! still deploy 2nd gen!

honestly ratio is like 80% 2nd to 20% 3/4th gen what gets put on datacenter

2nd gen is still surpringly good

ram has to match cpus, 7302, 7402 etc, no pint with 3200 ram, 7763? 75f3? yes you want that 3200, and of course, you want 8 sticks no matter what
I'm still just trying to gather information/do some research etc!

7642 + 2666 ram looks like a great value $$ for gen 2?

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Here I come to derail this thread, lol. I have a 7F52 cpu with 2133 ram right now and was pondering going up to 3200MHz. Any thoughts or links that show that it's not worth it? It's probably not worth it from the simple fact that this is only an unraid server running ZFS for plex/virtualized gaming, but I've seen lots of charts on the gaming said that show that the step up to 3200MHz seems to be worthwhile.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have a 7F52 cpu with 2133 ram right now and was pondering going up to 3200MHz. Any thoughts or links that show that it's not worth it?
afaik the IO-DIE Fabric clock is half of the memory clock and will get from 1066mhz to 1600mhz 1466mhz (2933/2=1466 is max.?)
this will make a difference but only on some workloads. the negative effect is the higher idle power usage.

Reactions: custom90gt

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Here I come to derail this thread, lol. I have a 7F52 cpu with 2133 ram right now and was pondering going up to 3200MHz. Any thoughts or links that show that it's not worth it? It's probably not worth it from the simple fact that this is only an unraid server running ZFS for plex/virtualized gaming, but I've seen lots of charts on the gaming said that show that the step up to 3200MHz seems to be worthwhile.
if your over 12-13GBs for 128k random writes on zfs, there is an improvement.... = no chance what so ever with a home load, so no you will not see any gains really.

we have managed to push zfs to 19.5GB/s on random writes 128k, then it matters, but of course thats a pretty heavy workload, requires fast nvme, and again not something you run at home ;)

its also going to be quite neglible for gaming imho, I assume you populate 8 slots of ram to the cpu? now THIS matters a LOT, but 8x2133 vs 4x 3200, the 8x 2133 will beat the 4 fast sticks, for any benchmark/load

rocking 7F52 at home is impressive

Reactions: custom90gt

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
if your over 12-13GBs for 128k random writes on zfs, there is an improvement.... = no chance what so ever with a home load, so no you will not see any gains really.

we have managed to push zfs to 19.5GB/s on random writes 128k, then it matters, but of course thats a pretty heavy workload, requires fast nvme, and again not something you run at home ;)

its also going to be quite neglible for gaming imho, I assume you populate 8 slots of ram to the cpu? now THIS matters a LOT, but 8x2133 vs 4x 3200, the 8x 2133 will beat the 4 fast sticks, for any benchmark/load

rocking 7F52 at home is impressive
Yeah currently I have 8x32GB and thankfully I got the 7F52 amazingly cheap because it was marked as "for parts." Lucky for me the gamble worked out and it works.

*on edit* guess it was high time to edit my signature, lol.

Last edited:

perpetualrabbit

Apr 2, 2023
Happy to report installed windows without plugging the Ethernet cable, installed all proper chipset drivers from Supermicro, reboot, plug in ethernet and everything went fine....

Now if there is a way to control the PWM fans, it spins up every 5 seconds and it's getting annoying
apparently this can be managed within the IPMI interface.

perpetualrabbit

Apr 2, 2023
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, not sure where else to go.

I purchased a "New" condition Supermicro H11SSL-i and 7551P combo from an eBay seller from China.

I installed it in a Meshify C case, using a Corsair TX850m PSU with an extra EPS 4pin CPU cable to populate the JPW1 connection.

Powering on the machine, the BMC light blinks steadily and the power LED is a solid green, however, I get no signal to any of my monitors.

In addition, after about a minute, all the fans will start ramping up for a few seconds, then back down and they will repeat this behaviour ad nauseam until I manually cut the power.

Finally, as soon as I turn power on the PSU the machine will turn on without having to press the power button. The front panel connectors don't seem to do anything (Power/Reset switch). I've studied the front panel connector layout extensively in the manual so I'm sure I've plugged them in correctly.

I'm out of ideas, I've checked all screws for any over-tightening, I've ensured the onboard VGA pins are enabled, I've also used a working GT 710 with a HDMI - HDMI but still no output. I've also tried my 8 sticks of 32GB 2133 MHz RAM individually and in all slots but no dice.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I just out of luck and need to return, I really want to avoid this as it's going to be a massive hassle.
Check the jumpers and the BIOS. There is a jumper setting to {dis,en}-able the onboard VGA. In the BIOS there is an option to prioritize off-board VGA (i.e. a graphics card in a PCIe slot). Via the IPMI network connection you should be able to get into the BIOS settings to set things right.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
My boards' IPMI never updates RAM tab in the system information section. It still shows my debug boot with 4 RAM sticks from earlier this year. It's not an issue as the RAM works, but something to be aware of.

perpetualrabbit

Apr 2, 2023
My boards' IPMI never updates RAM tab in the system information section. It still shows my debug boot with 4 RAM sticks from earlier this year. It's not an issue as the RAM works, but something to be aware of.
That is weird and should be fixed. Maybe restart or reset the BMC, powercycle the machine, or unplug the power to be sure and wait a while before powering up again. I do remember I had the same issue with a H11DSI-NT motherbeard.
Also updating the BMC firmware and possibly also the motherboard BIOS could set things straight. In a homelab environment setups are small so it does not really matter, but we have these labs to practice for the real thing, the datacenter, right? So actually it _does_ matter. You do not want a significant portion of your servers' IPMI reporting faulty information.

Is there anyone who had this problem and actually fixed it?

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
If you know anyone looking to buy SuperMicro H12SSL-i + EPYC 7302 + 8x 32G 2666 RAM - please send them my way!

jyavenard

Jun 28, 2023
Is there much advantage going for a H12SSL-i over a H11SSL-i rev 2.0 with a Epyc 7302?

My use case is a TrueNAS Core setup (with 12 SATA drives) running multiple VMs for home office.

The H11SSL-i is *much* cheaper and accessing the 16 SATA ports is much easier only needing miniSAS to 4 SATA adapter that can easily be found.
While the H12SSL-i uses the less common miniSAS x8 and the 8 ports SATA adapter appears to be out of stock wherever I looked.

My primary concern is power usage tbh.And I’m assuming that for what I do it which motherboard is used makes little difference.

Am I correct?
TIA

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Is there much advantage going for a H12SSL-i over a H11SSL-i rev 2.0 with a Epyc 7302?
h12 is newer -> longer support like firmware/bios updates
pcie 4.0 -> system can be used longer with newer hbas & nvme ssds
support for zen 3 epycs

happymac

Apr 19, 2023
Thank you for the reply, i assume your referring to the supermicro official cable? or are you referring to the amazon one? (i ask as , in my case, its a price difference of $68 shipped, vs $26 shipped)
Hi, did you buy the Diliving cable, and if so, does it work with your H12SSL? I just got an H12SSL-NT with an SF-8654 to 2x U.2 cable from an unidentified vendor, and I'm unable to make it work with an Intel P5520 NVMe SSD. I'm guessing either the cable is bad, or the drive, so I'd like to try another cable, but getting the official Supermicro CABL-SAST-0953 cable is difficult here in the UK. The Diliving, though, is available in the UK via the Amazon US store.

WhyBe

Aug 31, 2023
Hi everyone !

I have recently assembled my very first own server on those parts :

CPU : AMD Epyc 7282
Motherboard : Supermicro H12SSL-i
RAM : 2x Hynix RAM 32GB DDR4-3200 2Rx4 ECC REG DIMM (in D1 and C1 slots as recommended)
SSD : 2x Lexar NM790 2 TB on the two nvme slots on board
HDD : 4x WD Red Pro 8 TB plugged on the CSE-SAS733TQ of my case
Case : Supermicro 733TQ-668B

All the hardware assembling went well, except that the VGA is sending no signal, so I manage it through the BMC on my network. I was able to see everything seems to be working, and install Windows Server 2022 doing so.

Then, I tried to install a graphic card (PNY 2070 RTX). I got the BIOS launch sequence on screen, but it goes black when it comes to the OS log page. When I connect to the HTML5 console from my network, I got what seems to be a sort of "dual screen" (see pictures attached). I'm logging through the network console, and then I can see the desktop.

I'm sort of discovering this server world, so I may have done things wrong, or not seeing the obvious. Does someone had those issues before ? Is it a compatibility issue ? Is there anything that can be tried ?

I have written to the supermicro support about the VGA without signal, I'm waiting for their response.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help you can provide :)

Have a nice day !

Attachments