Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

killermojo

Feb 11, 2024
I purchased 4 sets of these 32gb sticks, but my new H12SSL-NT won't post with a 7302. Can anyone tell if this ram should be compatible with my board?

killermojo

Feb 11, 2024
Hmmm. LE1 blinks then shut off, BMC comes online and heartbeat blinks.

When I try to start via ipmi it fails, post code FF.

On PSU power cycle the fans start up and processor gets warm, ipmi reads power is on but it doesn't post.

Thought it must be ram but now I have no idea.

Board is brand new and tested from supermicro (previous board was actually defective)

EDIT: Turns out the CPU was also defective (both board and CPU were defective!). New one works great.

Last edited:

cacraig

Jun 19, 2024
Hello!

I bought a used MBD-H12SSL-CT-B off of ebay, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on with the LAN ports. I have a Ubiquiti Enterprise 24 port PoE switch. OS is Ubuntu 22.04.4 .

IPMI connected, and works great. Obtains IP address correctly from my router.

The onboard LAN ports show a green link status, but never any activity lights. Ethtool <interface> shows the link speed, and shows it's active. However, it never obtains an IP address. sudo dhclient <interface> hangs, and does nothing.

In the BIOS - Network stack is enabled, each network interfaces DHCP setting is enabled too. Both LAN 1/2 MAC addresses appear in IPMI dashboard.

I've tried the following:
(1) Connecting to 3 different switches/ports - 10 gbe Ubiquiti, 1 gbe Netgear, 1 gbe Ubituiti.
(2) Flashing BIOS to latest version.
(3) Trying different cat 6 cables.

On the router side it shows a port occupied, but it does not obtain the MAC address from the on board LAN.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is this board's onboard LAN toast?

Thank you!

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
If both ports are behaving that way, have you checked the physical jumpers on the motherboard that enable/disable the onboard lan? Also, poke around in the bios and make sure they’re enabled in there also.

cacraig

Jun 19, 2024
If both ports are behaving that way, have you checked the physical jumpers on the motherboard that enable/disable the onboard lan? Also, poke around in the bios and make sure they’re enabled in there also.
Thanks for the response - The jumper is on pins JPL1 1-2. Everything is enabled in the BIOS as far as I can tell.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
In the BIOS - Network stack is enabled, each network interfaces DHCP setting is enabled too. Both LAN 1/2 MAC addresses appear in IPMI dashboard.
Isn't the BIOS Network stack only for EFI boot and using network in EFI shell?

Also what happens when you assign a static IP address in whatever OS you are using (Linux/Windows) ? The LAN chipset is BCM57416, IIRC Ubuntu had problems with it but the later versions work fine

cacraig

Jun 19, 2024
Isn't the BIOS Network stack only for EFI boot and using network in EFI shell?

Also what happens when you assign a static IP address in whatever OS you are using (Linux/Windows) ? The LAN chipset is BCM57416, IIRC Ubuntu had problems with it but the later versions work fine

Thanks. I honestly had no idea what the Network stack option did, so I disabled it. I also tried manually setting up the static IP address in netplan - and still nothing.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Thanks. I honestly had no idea what the Network stack option did, so I disabled it. I also tried manually setting up the static IP address in netplan - and still nothing.
try lspci -vvv to check which driver is in use for the card. IIRC, Ubuntu needs the linux-modules-extra package for the bnxt kernel module

or then load windows to check if the OS is a problem

Both the intel 550 and the BCM 574xxx are quite sturdy but they are susceptible to heat. I’ve had my H12 and also my x550 chipset shut down because of cooling issues but they came back up after a reboot.

The LAN chipset on that motherboard definitely needs forced airflow. When I used Noctua fans in my 2U SM case, the LAN misbehaved often. Am wondering if the chipset on your board is somehow damaged

cacraig

Jun 19, 2024
try lspci -vvv to check which driver is in use for the card. IIRC, Ubuntu needs the linux-modules-extra package for the bnxt kernel module

or then load windows to check if the OS is a problem

Both the intel 550 and the BCM 574xxx are quite sturdy but they are susceptible to heat. I’ve had my H12 and also my x550 chipset shut down because of cooling issues but they came back up after a reboot.

The LAN chipset on that motherboard definitely needs forced airflow. When I used Noctua fans in my 2U SM case, the LAN misbehaved often. Am wondering if the chipset on your board is somehow damaged
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I gave up before I saw your troubleshooting advice. I ended up returning it, and getting a ROMED8-2T/BCM from ASRock (which has the same NIC), and it worked out of the box with no issues. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
I propose to compare IPMI sensors with real H12SSL devices. During tests (such as mprime, for example), the following sensors have the greatest heating:
  • SOC_VRM Temp
  • VRMABCD Temp
  • VRMEFGH Temp
Can anyone show the locations of these sensors directly on the board? At least approximately. Just circle them in the attached picture please. This is important for more efficient cooling settings inside the case.

Attachments

Last edited: