Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
You should be able to define the external gpu as the video output in BIOS instead of the built-in BMC video output.

WhyBe

Aug 31, 2023
do you use a real analog 15pin VGA monitor or a passive adapter to DVI ?
There is no adapter. This plug, direct on VGA from my motherboard.I was still using the screen a month ago, but with a VGA to DP adapter that time.

You should be able to define the external gpu as the video output in BIOS instead of the built-in BMC video output.
OK, thx, I'll see if I can find this option in the BIOS.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
There is no adapter. This plug, direct on VGA from my motherboard.I was still using the screen a month ago, but with a VGA to DP adapter that time.
OK, you should see a POST screen without any other GPU installed.
check jumper:
JPG1 VGA Enable/Disable Pins 1-2 (Enabled)

WhyBe

Aug 31, 2023
OK, you should see a POST screen without any other GPU installed.
check jumper:
JPG1 VGA Enable/Disable Pins 1-2 (Enabled)
Yes, the jumper is right, thanks for the idea.

Still nothing with the VGA, but somehow (I didn't do anything), I got signal from the graphic card but I've lost the BMC now ...

WhyBe

Aug 31, 2023
OK, the BMC interface is still not responding on my network, but I managed to solve the "dual screen" issue by using "windows + P" until "this screen only" been chose :p

Edit : It's weird, I can't access BMC or router interface on my laptop, but all is good on my cellphone !

Last edited:

American Geek

Sep 2, 2023
My gosh, i finally found people talking about this motherboard! I love SuperMicro, but they sure don't provide much info on their stuff.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the H12SSL-i vs. H12ssl-NTO? other than price I mean.

I can tell you that the H12ssl-i is officially certified to run Server 2022 via Microsoft's official compatibility site.

But Supermicro's site does NOT show 2022 support for either H12SSL-i nor H12SSL-NTO which really bothers a guy like me.

I'd like to add my 2 cents on the fans issue also... ran into this on a build last month using a SM board and in that case, I had a major over heat CPU reading during the memory test burn in and the fans did that full throttle up and down every 10 seconds.... The fix: removed the Noctua fans, and then the CPU fans (which were high spinners compared to Noctua) suddenly performed normally, and then my temps reported as they should. I did not mess with the IPMI fan settings, i just used a molex to fan adapter for my noctua fans....that particular server is running server 2019 with no issues. I do use add-in cards for my RAID 5 and not the mobo's raid option.

But I'd love to know if anyone has used the H12SSL-i or the -NTO version with Server 2022....i'm getting ready to build 2 servers and it really needs to be Server 2022 per the customer wants.

Thank you ...i'm late to the party but THIS motherboard really has potential in my mind, i'm glad i found this forum.

Ike

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
My gosh, i finally found people talking about this motherboard! I love SuperMicro, but they sure don't provide much info on their stuff.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the H12SSL-i vs. H12ssl-NTO? other than price I mean.

I can tell you that the H12ssl-i is officially certified to run Server 2022 via Microsoft's official compatibility site.

But Supermicro's site does NOT show 2022 support for either H12SSL-i nor H12SSL-NTO which really bothers a guy like me.

I'd like to add my 2 cents on the fans issue also... ran into this on a build last month using a SM board and in that case, I had a major over heat CPU reading during the memory test burn in and the fans did that full throttle up and down every 10 seconds.... The fix: removed the Noctua fans, and then the CPU fans (which were high spinners compared to Noctua) suddenly performed normally, and then my temps reported as they should. I did not mess with the IPMI fan settings, i just used a molex to fan adapter for my noctua fans....that particular server is running server 2019 with no issues. I do use add-in cards for my RAID 5 and not the mobo's raid option.

But I'd love to know if anyone has used the H12SSL-i or the -NTO version with Server 2022....i'm getting ready to build 2 servers and it really needs to be Server 2022 per the customer wants.

Thank you ...i'm late to the party but THIS motherboard really has potential in my mind, i'm glad i found this forum.

Ike
Simply the difference in LAN speeds. 1GB versus 10GB for the NTO board.

A friend asked me to look at the compatibility matrix from SM for his H11DSi board and it looks like the document was created before ANY 2022 OS was released.
Hasn't been updated since its creation.

American Geek

Sep 2, 2023
Simply the difference in LAN speeds. 1GB versus 10GB for the NTO board.

A friend asked me to look at the compatibility matrix from SM for his H11DSi board and it looks like the document was created before ANY 2022 OS was released.
Hasn't been updated since its creation.
Ty for the info.

AS for the H11DSi board, SM is clear it doesn't support 2022, but the H12SSLi is a bit confusing since Microsoft claims it's certified but SM doesn't on their site....If i thought the H12SSLNTO was compatible also I'd go with that one but MS site doesn't list that one at all....makes me nervous

WhyBe

Aug 31, 2023
Ty for the info.

AS for the H11DSi board, SM is clear it doesn't support 2022, but the H12SSLi is a bit confusing since Microsoft claims it's certified but SM doesn't on their site....If i thought the H12SSLNTO was compatible also I'd go with that one but MS site doesn't list that one at all....makes me nervous
Hi,

I have installed Microsoft Server 2022 on a H12SSL-i, it's working fine.

Reactions: American Geek

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Any specific reason you're looking for a "certified" board?

American Geek

Sep 2, 2023
Any specific reason you're looking for a "certified" board?
Yes, i will be building a DC and an exchange box for a customer.....and before you mention it, they want an on premise exchange and they do not want virtualized. lol

American Geek

Sep 2, 2023
Since the H12SSL-i is a hundred dollars cheaper and my customer is a small business of less than 10 users there is no need for the 10Gbit LAN ports, they are just a law office.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The T part (10GbaseT) isn't worth much; these boards have plenty of PCIe so you can always add a $20 SFP+ NIC later. But the N (NVMe in the form of 2x8654) is worth something if you planned on using a few U.2; plus, it doesn't take away from the PCIe lanes exposed in the slots.

It is generally easier to find the H12SSL-i, though.

thalin

Aug 15, 2023
Does anyone have any recommendations for cable to use for the Slimline connectors on this board? I would like to use the 8x on the H12SSL-i to attach 2 U.2 drives, but I'm a bit skeptical of the available cables. Even Supermicro's cable doesn't say it's certified for this board.

Kevin OH

Sep 21, 2023
I'm considering using the H12SSL-i for a home storage server. I have an older x99 based setup. I was planning on using the nice PCIe x16 slots to put NVMe drives in, using a card like the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 (HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD|Motherboards|ASUS USA). I had always thought that if your BIOS supported PCIe bifurcation, those cards would work.

Comments made in this thread make me question my assumptions on that.

Has anyone used a card like that in this board to attach 4 NVMe drives to a PCIe slot?

I have seen reference to the LRNV95NF. I'm only finding that card on AliExpress. It is a lot more money, and I like the cooling on the Asus better.

Thanks for any insight!