Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

felmyst

Mar 16, 2016
Nothing to report on verifying my giant order yet. I have the HBAs (Avago 9300-8e) in hand and have them identifying the drives and HP D2700 enclosures just fine. Windows Server 2012 R2 is not seeing the drives for some reason (I was going to use WinDFT to scan all of the drives).

I'm in a meeting right now, but once I get out I'll get back on it to figure out what's up. I just got everything hooked up yesterday afternoon.
Bad news for me then because I use Hyper-V 2012 R2. Really hope you'll figure that out.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Bad news for me then because I use Hyper-V 2012 R2. Really hope you'll figure that out.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the hard drives and everything to do with the HBA and storage chassis. As I've stated in my original thread post, I've test 30 drives for home via Badblocks with zero errors found. My VMWare VSAN has also been very happy with them for the past few weeks. You can also see that the hard drives showed up just fine in Windows with the HD Tune Pro screenshots I included.

Last edited:
Reactions: felmyst

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
mine came in today - unfortunately as posted previously box has had a bit of a blow unsure on effects on disks atm though.
hopefully all okay haha.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
That doesn't sound too good... I hope your drives are ok.
My order changed status yesterday to "returning to seller", I contacted westporter and he had sent it with the correct address. I have not yet reached through to USPS, dunno what they are up too.

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
Yeah I'm a little worried about the lower 10 disks but I haven't been able to check them out yet. :( they are packed in foam so I'm hoping it absorbed the force aha.
And unfortunately I don't have a chassis available to test these either, might have to get creative on an external caddy I have.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I'm betting they're fine. The shipping foam that these come in a really good at absorbing. Plus, if you were to drop a good condition box like that from above your head with the weight of the drives in it, I highly doubt you'd get damage like that (probably significantly less). If I had to guess, that box was crushed, not dropped (which means they probably weren't hit with a heavy physical shock. If they look good physically, you're probably in the clear.

@felmyst, the HBAs I bought are all junk and I'm in the process of returning them. I picked up a bunch of new LSI 9200-8e HBAs that should do the job. Those should be here sometime next week, so I'll try to get you some results on my large set of drives before next week ends.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Would the
Net app firmware affect them. How come so cheap? I purchased before sas drives with netapp firmware and was unable to use them with any raid card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Would the
Net app firmware affect them. How come so cheap? I purchased before sas drives with netapp firmware and was unable to use them with any raid card

The NetApp firmware appears to have no bearing on the drives. They're cheap because the seller literally has thousands of them. They work just fine with any standard RAID or HBA card and this has been proven by multiple people.

felmyst

Mar 16, 2016
@felmyst, the HBAs I bought are all junk and I'm in the process of returning them. I picked up a bunch of new LSI 9200-8e HBAs that should do the job. Those should be here sometime next week, so I'll try to get you some results on my large set of drives before next week ends.
What HBAs have you used? I'm designing SOFS powered by refurbished Dell hardware, so I'm not sure whether go with stock LSI 9200-8e or look for some Dell branded HBA ("Dell SAS 6Gb/s HBA" or h200e). Some have reported that third-party SAS adapters do not work with newer (11+) generation Dell servers, so any information will be useful — I had no experience with branded servers at all.
P. S. By the way, you are running HP hardware, aren't you? How are their d2600/d2700 JBODs? They're much cheaper than Dell ones, but Dells are certified by MS... Tough choice.

Last edited:

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
What HBAs have you used? I'm designing SOFS powered by refurbished Dell hardware, so I'm not sure whether go with stock LSI 9200-8e or look for some Dell branded HBA ("Dell SAS 6Gb/s HBA" or h200e). Some have reported that third-party SAS adapters do not work with newer (11+) generation Dell servers, so any information will be useful — I had no experience with branded servers at all.
P. S. By the way, you are running HP hardware, aren't you? How are their d2600/d2700 JBODs? They're much cheaper than Dell ones, but Dells are certified by MS... Tough choice.
I purchased some dell branded 9300-8e HBAs off of eBay and the shipper decided to ship them in the worst packaging possible (soft bubble envelope with static inducing bubble wrap). None of the HBAs are working properly (they either don't boot or they lock up after getting to the installation screen of an operating system), so I'm in the process of getting a refund.

The experimental Ceph cluster I'm building will consist of the following hardware:
Dell C6100 with 4 x nodes
2 x L5520 cpus per node
24GB ram per node
Dell 10Gbit mezzanine NIC
some sort of boot drive and 2 x SSDs per node
LSI 9200-8e HBA for the SAS drives
HP D2700 DAS chassis
25 x Hitachi UltraStar C10K600 drives per chassis
All connected to a Cisco Nexus 5020P 10Gbit switch

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I purchased some dell branded 9300-8e HBAs off of eBay and the shipper decided to ship them in the worst packaging possible (soft bubble envelope with static inducing bubble wrap). None of the HBAs are working properly (they either don't boot or they lock up after getting to the installation screen of an operating system), so I'm in the process of getting a refund.

The experimental Ceph cluster I'm building will consist of the following hardware:
Dell C6100 with 4 x nodes
2 x L5520 cpus per node
24GB ram per node
Dell 10Gbit mezzanine NIC
some sort of boot drive and 2 x SSDs per node
LSI 9200-8e HBA for the SAS drives
HP D2700 DAS chassis
25 x Hitachi UltraStar C10K600 drives per chassis
All connected to a Cisco Nexus 5020P 10Gbit switch
This seller is accepting $50 for 9201-16e. May not be for all the chassis though

SAS9201-16e LSI 16-Port, 6Gb/s SAS+SATA to PCI Express Host Bus Adapte

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Emulsifide

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
I just brought 4 for shipping all the way to SG via a freight forwarder. Let's see if they survive this trip!

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
Can you share what you're using that many of these drives for?

I'm gonna get like 8 drives for a cache raid array. Its for video production workstation.

What do you guys think? This or a single 960gb ssd? I'm just worry about the write endurance of the ssd, being a cache drive