Suggestions For Proxmox & Jellyfin 2U Build?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

athenaskidney

Feb 8, 2023
United States of America
I am coming up on the time to build my last piece to complete my rack. I have a dedicated TrueNAS server for storage, and a firewall. I want to have a dedicated machine for (likely Proxmox) to self-host everything on, and for Jellyfin (which will run in Proxmox).
I am gathering suggestions. I am trying to keep it under $1200 total ideally, under $1000 sweet spot though.

I plan to use one of the AMD Epyc+Supermicro bundles on eBay that contain an AMD Epyc (likely a 7401P) and a Supermicro motherboard (usually a H11SSL-i) and then ram. This worked great for my TrueNAS build (even if a little overkill for that scenario).
I have a Supermicro server in my basement that is collecting dust, I was going to sell but no hits so I think I may take out the old hardware (Xeon stuff which was just way too ineffecient tbh) and pop in the above bundle.

Now I need a GPU, I don't need anything crazy. I would ideally like to be able to handle a decent amount of 4K transcoding+subtitles for Jellyfin to devices that can't support it. I don't plan on having more than maybe 8 MAX streams at once. A lot will probably utilize direct play. But really I don't expect to have more than maybe two people watching from the server at most. But I just want headroom.
I would ideally like to use AMD for the GPU, but if Nvidia is the way to go then offer suggestions. I am not familiar with this stuff.

My plan is to throw Proxmox on it, load Jellyfin in proxmox, and use Proxmox for a variety of other self-hosting things such as SearX, rTorrent, TinyTinyRSS, Invidious, Syncthing, Archivebox, Nextcloud, ZNC, and much much more. It'll be the "workhorse" server.