storage gold rush?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Someone bought my slightly used 2TB DC P4510 drives for 450 USD recently. This was above average price for NEW drives a few months ago. I didn't care, they're just lying around unused because I thought, well, 2TB doesn't cut it anymore but these things get darn hot. Why run them? I'd rather use something like 8TB instead for same wattage. I wasn't in a hurry to sell. They've been listed for over a year actually.
It appears prices went up. P3700 2TB is not really listed on ebay anymore and the only offer there is 1500 USD! WTH! I bought those new in 2019 for less than 500 USD!
I've just read about this new scamcoin for which people deliberately buy these amazing SLC/MLC enterprise SSDs to BURN THEM DOWN in hopes for rewards in future.
I guess I'm lucky I own these, and I bought them years ago because I knew these were the best offer on the market. Expensive, but will last forever. Seems like everyone suddenly realised that too and buying these like hell. First, gaming consoles, next GPUs, now SSDs? We can't have good things eh.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i think i head chia mining uses HDD space so people are buying them up for that. Maybe ill list my huh ssd for super high pricing to see if anyone bites lol.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Someone said 970 pro is garbage and burns like matches and they had a bucket of that, comparatively speaking that may well be true as P3700 pulls way ahead with 40+ PBW of write life... So pro miners are specifically aiming for these hard-to-kill SSDs that are expensive but don't fail too soon. We're gonna be left without good MLC SSDs now. Holy smokes.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
How long until we know if this whole chia thing flops? Is there something propping it up aside buying\selling hopes in the future ?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i guess there is may 3 start date for chia, but i think this is crypto mania for large farmers trying to get in on ground level. Chia faq recommending enterprise drives vs consumer due to TWD being high. IDK when it will flop.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
i guess there is may 3 start date for chia, but i think this is crypto mania for large farmers trying to get in on ground level. Chia faq recommending enterprise drives vs consumer due to TWD being high. IDK when it will flop.
Why go SSD at all? HDDs are much better capacity/price for that sort of thing no?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
there was another crypto that used HDD for mining, as space was important, i forget the name of it now.
As for chia, seems like sustained throughput is more important. Again im just quickly grabbing the info off of their FAQ so no expert here.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Still waiting for a shitcoin that relies on memory capacity. Maybe there already is one out there that just didn't become popular enough?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Chia needs 300gb of free space while it makes the 100gb hdd sections... and makes 1.8TBW during it.........
It is absolutely going to shred consumer drives. The devs even called the ssd caches sacrificial drives.

• Wow
Reactions: T_Minus and JGC

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Chia needs 300gb of free space while it makes the 100gb hdd sections... and makes 1.8TBW during it.........
It is absolutely going to shred consumer drives. The devs even called the ssd caches sacrificial drives.
But hey, it's "less" resources than GPUs :rolleyes::rolleyes: this is ridiculous and should have 0 backing

Reactions: Jaket and itronin

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
well the idea is nice (everybody can farm with spare space at home), but o/c anything that potentially is generating cash ... with the value increase BTC has shown ...

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Is it worth stocking up on smaller enterprise SSDs?
No because smaller size drives are useless for Chia and drives will always be coming off lease/retired. So unless you really have a known recurring near term future need for a lot of drives or wish to speculate to try to profit, I don't see the point.

Reactions: T_Minus and JGC

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
No because smaller size drives are useless for Chia and drives will always be coming off lease/retired. So unless you really have a known recurring near term future need for a lot of drives or wish to speculate to try to profit, I don't see the point.
Smaller as in 1TB or less?

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Last time I saw a Chinese news as: someone stocks hundreds of large capacity HDDs from the retail channels for the Chia miners; and couples of days later the top authorized wholesalers of this brand pump a lot HDDs into the channels to cure the unusual price, then the market price jumped. The news said at last, the HDDs collected by the Chia miners were just a small percentage of the regular HDD sale in a year.

update: A 4-day old news said Chia mining volume vs last year's HDD volume was hundreds PB vs 1 ZB.(google translate link).

1 ZB = 1024 EB, 1 EB = 1024 PB.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Last time I saw a Chinese news as: someone stocks hundreds of large capacity HDDs from the retail channels for the Chia miners; and couples of days later the top authorized wholesalers of this brand pump a lot HDDs into the channels to cure the unusual price, then the market price jumped. The news said at last, the HDDs collected by the Chia miners were just a small percentage of the regular HDD sale in a year.

update: A 4-day old news said Chia mining volume vs last year's HDD volume was hundreds PB vs 1 ZB.(google translate link).

1 ZB = 1024 EB, 1 EB = 1024 PB.
Who cares?

Shoppers will first empty out cheapest sellers... that's usually ebay, which affects us all here. Not for the short term.
If this buying goes on for even 6mo to 1 year we're talking about a 2 year maybe 3 year where enterprise SSD\NVME are much much more $$$ used. IT sucks.

Reactions: Layla