Socket FCBGA 1667 aftermarket cooling??

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by JimPhreak, Aug 19, 2015.

1. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

I mean, if you can get extra perf why not right? and server chips are baked to be better silicon anyway? Has me thinking about whether or not I really want to OC my new 4P toy.

2. Weppel

Weppel New Member

Just wanted to drop by and let you know I replaced the cooling paste on the X10SDV-TLN4F (which was just a nasty, hard square blob not even covering the entire CPU) by some regular paste I had laying around. It dropped the CPU temp from 48 degrees to 42 degrees and it also dropped the fanspeed a couple hundred RPM making it much quieter. Good luck!

T_Minus likes this.
  3. JimPhreak

JimPhreak Active Member

Thanks for chiming in, that's reassuring. I have some CoolLaboratory Pro (liquid metal) and some Arctic Silver 5 laying around so I'm sure either of those will do the job. Just want to confirm that the base of the stock HSF is copper so I don't risk corrosion between the CLP and aluminum HSF.

4. Paul Braren

Paul Braren New Member

JimPhreak, curious if you wound up replacing your paste, and if so, which type.

5. JimPhreak

JimPhreak Active Member

I did Paul. I used Coollaboratory Pro TIM.

6. sth

sth Active Member

@Jim: and the temp delta was....?

7. JimPhreak

JimPhreak Active Member

It wasn't as big as I was hoping for. Temps dropped about 4C.

8. Paul Braren

Paul Braren New Member

Thanks guys. I'm not having any particular problem (nor have I seen any with the 4 other identical systems I briefly had my hands on), but was more curious if folks are getting a sense of what the normal CPU temps at idle and under load are, for the Xeon D-1540 in this SYS-5028D-TN4T (Web into IPMI, System/Sensor Readings/CPU Temp/reading column), so we could collectively know when to start suspecting something is not right with a single system's factory installed cooling.

9. Deslok

Deslok Well-Known Member

you could add a fan like this G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Memory Cooling - Newegg.com to pull(or blow depending on your airflow directions) some heat away from the memory, it would decrease the ambient temperature near the cpu and could help for a few degrees

10. JimPhreak

JimPhreak Active Member

Luckily for me its now the dead of winter here in NY and my load temps (while doing multiple simultaneous transcodes) never really get much above 62-65C.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  11. Paul Braren

Paul Braren New Member

Same here, abused my SYS-5028D-TN4T overnight last night (heavy reading from multiple SSDs and HDDs with medium CPU load for hours), still no higher than 60C for the CPU, so I'm not pursuing more fans (noise). If anything, I'll go the other way, if somebody finds a way to lower the chassis fan's RPM just a little more than the factory BIOS's lowest setting, or a quieter replacement fan that moves just as much air, and requires no fancy rewiring to install, while still allowing for IPMI-based speed control.

Even with 128GB and memtest86 (on another's otherwise identical system), I've never managed to get those DIMMs uncomfortably hot to the touch, so not worried there. Even if I ruin airflow and leave the cover off for a bit, no biggie, this is the coolest running system I've ever had.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  12. DMatrixz

DMatrixz New Member

13. pgh5278

pgh5278 Active Member

Here are two homemade mods which appear to help. 1st one simple and effective..AM sure some aftermarket sinks will come if there is a sufficient sized market, we better not hold our breath...
    Supermicro X10SDV-F Build; Datacenter in a Box | b3n.org
    CPU fan replacement and adapter can reduce Xeon-D mini-tower noise and cool the M.2 SSD! | TinkerTry IT @ Home

DMatrixz likes this.
  14. DMatrixz

DMatrixz New Member

15. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Also @DMatrixz you do not need to go crazy cooling these chips. Some of those are way overboard and do not have the best airflow (e.g. why you do not see many/ any retail HSF units with funnel parts.

Remember, the stock retail LGA115x HSF is quiet even cooling most 95W TDP CPUs and these chips are 35-65W max TDP.

16. Ramos

Ramos Member

17. maxu

maxu New Member

Been thinking about the VGA coolers ...and made the first trial :) with errors.
    The tests were done with an Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 PLUS
    Long story short: there is no match in the hole pattern of the frame holding the heatsink.
    Need different frame or make custom holes..

The good news is that the bundled screws match the thread in the mainboard (Asrock D1520D4I)

18. Netwerkz101

Netwerkz101 Active Member

Have you seen the following thread?
    Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

19. maxu

maxu New Member

Hi,
    Seen it but after already posted.

20. Brandon C

Brandon C New Member

Just wanted to add a reply here, since I was unable to find anymore information about aftermarket cooling for the Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F. I managed to find a GPU Copper waterblock that with some slight modification fits PERFECTLY. I had to buy a pair of steel cutters for $15 at Lowe's and cut the corner off of the mounting bracket so it wouldn't get in the way of the onboard battery socket. I also had to cut the mounting screws shorter by about a half inch, so that they didn't contact the metal surface of the motherboard mounting tray and added non-conductive thermal tape on the backside for good measure. The screws are pointed inward ever so slightly and it was a tight fit for sure, but it all worked out extremely well. I am now sitting comfortably between 29c and 37c and the server doesn't seem to want to kick the fans into high gear as often.

Waterblock
    Craftsman 8-inch Steel Cutting Pliers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]