Socket FCBGA 1667 aftermarket cooling??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weppel

Aug 22, 2015
Just wanted to drop by and let you know I replaced the cooling paste on the X10SDV-TLN4F (which was just a nasty, hard square blob not even covering the entire CPU) by some regular paste I had laying around. It dropped the CPU temp from 48 degrees to 42 degrees and it also dropped the fanspeed a couple hundred RPM making it much quieter. Good luck!

Reactions: T_Minus

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Just wanted to drop by and let you know I replaced the cooling paste on the X10SDV-TLN4F (which was just a nasty, hard square blob not even covering the entire CPU) by some regular paste I had laying around. It dropped the CPU temp from 48 degrees to 42 degrees and it also dropped the fanspeed a couple hundred RPM making it much quieter. Good luck!
Thanks for chiming in, that's reassuring. I have some CoolLaboratory Pro (liquid metal) and some Arctic Silver 5 laying around so I'm sure either of those will do the job. Just want to confirm that the base of the stock HSF is copper so I don't risk corrosion between the CLP and aluminum HSF.

Paul Braren

Nov 10, 2012
Wethersfield, CT
TinkerTry.com
Thanks guys. I'm not having any particular problem (nor have I seen any with the 4 other identical systems I briefly had my hands on), but was more curious if folks are getting a sense of what the normal CPU temps at idle and under load are, for the Xeon D-1540 in this SYS-5028D-TN4T (Web into IPMI, System/Sensor Readings/CPU Temp/reading column), so we could collectively know when to start suspecting something is not right with a single system's factory installed cooling.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Luckily for me its now the dead of winter here in NY and my load temps (while doing multiple simultaneous transcodes) never really get much above 62-65C.

Last edited:

Paul Braren

Nov 10, 2012
Wethersfield, CT
TinkerTry.com
Same here, abused my SYS-5028D-TN4T overnight last night (heavy reading from multiple SSDs and HDDs with medium CPU load for hours), still no higher than 60C for the CPU, so I'm not pursuing more fans (noise). If anything, I'll go the other way, if somebody finds a way to lower the chassis fan's RPM just a little more than the factory BIOS's lowest setting, or a quieter replacement fan that moves just as much air, and requires no fancy rewiring to install, while still allowing for IPMI-based speed control.

Even with 128GB and memtest86 (on another's otherwise identical system), I've never managed to get those DIMMs uncomfortably hot to the touch, so not worried there. Even if I ruin airflow and leave the cover off for a bit, no biggie, this is the coolest running system I've ever had.

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Luckily for me its now the dead of winter here in NY and my load temps (while doing multiple simultaneous transcodes) never really get much above 62-65C.
Here are two homemade mods which appear to help. 1st one simple and effective..AM sure some aftermarket sinks will come if there is a sufficient sized market, we better not hold our breath...
Supermicro X10SDV-F Build; Datacenter in a Box | b3n.org
CPU fan replacement and adapter can reduce Xeon-D mini-tower noise and cool the M.2 SSD! | TinkerTry IT @ Home

Reactions: DMatrixz

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Also @DMatrixz you do not need to go crazy cooling these chips. Some of those are way overboard and do not have the best airflow (e.g. why you do not see many/ any retail HSF units with funnel parts.

Remember, the stock retail LGA115x HSF is quiet even cooling most 95W TDP CPUs and these chips are 35-65W max TDP.

maxu

May 29, 2017
Been thinking about the VGA coolers ...and made the first trial :) with errors.
The tests were done with an Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 PLUS
Long story short: there is no match in the hole pattern of the frame holding the heatsink.
Need different frame or make custom holes..

The good news is that the bundled screws match the thread in the mainboard (Asrock D1520D4I)

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Been thinking about the VGA coolers ...and made the first trial :) with errors.
The tests were done with an Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 PLUS
Long story short: there is no match in the hole pattern of the frame holding the heatsink.
Need different frame or make custom holes..

The good news is that the bundled screws match the thread in the mainboard (Asrock D1520D4I)
Have you seen the following thread?
Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Brandon C

Mar 12, 2020
Just wanted to add a reply here, since I was unable to find anymore information about aftermarket cooling for the Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F. I managed to find a GPU Copper waterblock that with some slight modification fits PERFECTLY. I had to buy a pair of steel cutters for $15 at Lowe's and cut the corner off of the mounting bracket so it wouldn't get in the way of the onboard battery socket. I also had to cut the mounting screws shorter by about a half inch, so that they didn't contact the metal surface of the motherboard mounting tray and added non-conductive thermal tape on the backside for good measure. The screws are pointed inward ever so slightly and it was a tight fit for sure, but it all worked out extremely well. I am now sitting comfortably between 29c and 37c and the server doesn't seem to want to kick the fans into high gear as often.

Waterblock
Craftsman 8-inch Steel Cutting Pliers

Reactions: cjlvu