Seeking Quiet Cooler for AMD EPYC and Supermicro H12SSL-NT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

creese

Jul 27, 2023
I'm currently working on a build with an AMD EPYC and a Supermicro H12SSL-NT in a 4U server chassis which allows a max cooler height of 158mm. I've hit a snag though - finding a cooler that not only fits but also has the right orientation.

Most "SP3" coolers I've come across expect airflow that is perpendicular to the RAM, which really doesn't work for my build. I'd rather have the air going front-to-back.

So far, the only cooler I've come across that checks all the boxes is the Freezer 4U SP3, but it's pretty hard to find. I'd love to hear if you've got any alternatives.

spicysnow

Mar 12, 2022
How about Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 ? it is quiet yet cools just as well, the only drawback would be price which is around 80 euro's or about 90 usd.

creese

Jul 27, 2023
The NH-U9 TR4-SP3 isn't the best fit for server motherboards. It ends up directing exhaust towards the power supply. We'd want the airflow to go from the front to the back. For a clearer picture, take a look at this video:

spicysnow

Mar 12, 2022
All i can think of is those 2u/4u chinese non branded coolers but those wont give better temps and would be really loud compared to arctic.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
All i can think of is those 2u/4u chinese non branded coolers but those wont give better temps and would be really loud compared to arctic.
I have this generic SP3 cooler from tugm4470 on ebay, and it is very capable and quite silent at low fan speeds. It's available from multiple sellers for around $40, and most take offers so I think you could potentially get it for even less. It looks like it's based on (ripped off from?) the SuperMicro 4U cooler. I think the H12SSL-NT has a bit more control over fan speed than the Tyan S8030 that I have, so you might even be able to make something like a fan curve. For me it sits at 30% until it gets to 75C at which point the fan shifts to full speed--which is decidedly not silent. But it takes quite a bit to raise temps that high. I have to pin all 64 threads for several minutes to hit 70C with the fan at 30% on my EPYC 7532, which is a 200W CPU. This is in a Fractal Design Define 7, which has OK but not great airflow, and in a room at 24.5C ambient. If you're having difficulty sourcing the Arctic Cooling model, this may be a pretty decent option.

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
The NH-U9 TR4-SP3 isn't the best fit for server motherboards. It ends up directing exhaust towards the power supply. We'd want the airflow to go from the front to the back. For a clearer picture, take a look at this video:
It's not been a drama for me at all. I have a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 that is vertically aligned on a H11SSL.
You can't fit that, but you could fit it's smaller brother - NH-U12S TR4-SP3

CPU air vents towards the top and is then exhausted by the intake fans and exit fans on the front/back/top :cool:

Last edited:

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Looks like the Noctua is too tall (165mm w/o fan). I think the others are fine, although one or two of the reviews of the Arctic on Amazon state that it doesn't fit in all 4U cases. The dimensions on Amazon state that it's 152mm tall, so it'd just fit within OP's limitations.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Looks like the Noctua is too tall (165mm w/o fan). I think the others are fine, although one or two of the reviews of the Arctic on Amazon state that it doesn't fit in all 4U cases. The dimensions on Amazon state that it's 152mm tall, so it'd just fit within OP's limitations.
The Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 is 158mm :p

Reactions: adman_c

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Don't forget that SP3, TR4, sTRX4, and sWRX8 are all mechanically identical, so you can try and expand your search to all of those :)