Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I had no idea this switch can be converted into a Dell 8024F. Is there a detail guide for that?
1) The LB6M is different hardware. The Delta switch and the Dell switch use the same hardware.

2) To convert the Delta to a Dell (or vice versa, though I don't know why anyone would want to do that) you'll need a JTAG programmer to overwrite the bootcode. After that, you can load rest of the firmware normally.

beauchamp117

Jun 23, 2017
How does one exactly do that..... I googled JTAG programer and this came up. ST-Link STM8/STM32 v2 Programmer & Emulator ID: 2548 - $12.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
I happen to be using this for a different raspberry pi project so I already have one off hand, is that all I need...

1) The LB6M is different hardware. The Delta switch and the Dell switch use the same hardware.

2) To convert the Delta to a Dell (or vice versa, though I don't know why anyone would want to do that) you'll need a JTAG programmer to overwrite the bootcode. After that, you can load rest of the firmware normally.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, this is what I always send to my friends who need beginning setup info for the LB6M, if anyone has any other important info, please let me know and I will include it in the doc. Welcome to STH my friends!

Yup, asked T-minus way back in the early parts of the thread to include the doc file in his first post since he started the thread, but the dude never responded. Meh, he's a busy guy nowadays. No harm in sending him a pm if you get a chance and see what he says. I know there are still tons of people just discovering this switch and need help setting this baby up. Also, welcome to STH! Always glad to see new members.
Hey @Sleyk I never got the PM.

Can you do us a favor @Sleyk and upload the file as a 'resource' on this site, and then I'll link to that resource from within the first post. This way if changes/additions are made they're available to all, not only those who find the resource outside my upload to this specific thread.
Thank You
T

beauchamp117

Jun 23, 2017
Sorry I was a total nub. But to the guy asking questions about thermals with aftermarket fans.
Amazon.com: Noctua A-Series Cooling Fan Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing (NF-A4x10 FLX): Computers & Accessories
I just splurged and bought like 5 (they are Noctua 40mm for those who don't want to click)
They get here Monday and ill have thermals for you guys some time on Tuesday hopefully. They provide a slightly higher CFM than the ones referenced in the original post so I hope I will not be melting any paint off here.

GansRay

Jun 29, 2017
@GansRay - Thanks, however it isn't showing up in the link, or at least the download button isn't available.
That's strange as I can see it just fine - the black download button. Here is GDrive link if you have trouble viewing it via resources: LB6M_MANUAL.pdf

As I browsed through this huge manual (the contents section alone is 30 pages long) I've found an interesting section - 4 Web-Based Management Interface. So this switch is supposed to have a web GUI.

On page 667 it also has the following paragraph:
Web Mode - Specify whether the switch may be accessed from a Web browser. If you choose to enable web mode you will be able to manage the switch from a Web browser.
The factory default is enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: fvanlint and tjk

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I was hoping this manual would apply to my switch but apparently it does not. For starters, most of the show commands do not work. "show ip interface returns - "Command Not Found". :(

GansRay

Jun 29, 2017
I was hoping this manual would apply to my switch but apparently it does not. For starters, most of the show commands do not work. "show ip interface returns - "Command Not Found". :(
You were probably looking for
Code:
show ip interface brief

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Actually, according to the manual, "show ip interface" should return the status of web mode amongst others. Why does the manual say it has a web mode when nobody can find it??

GansRay

Jun 29, 2017
Actually, according to the manual, "show ip interface" should return the status of web mode amongst others. Why does the manual say it has a web mode when nobody can find it??
Apparently the firmwares we have are NOT a factory ones and have many features just turned off. It was mentioned a couple times before that the http server is within the firmware files, but commands related to it are disabled. :(

I've tried a few of the "more interesting" commands on the manual and most of those are indeed disabled-"not found". Sorry to get your hopes up guys. But at least the manual contains a lot of detailed info on the working ones as well.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Somewhere in the universe there has to be the correct firmware. Sure would be nice if someone were to find it and make it available to all.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
The manual is for a lb6m running vxworks, it's a different os.
I've seen them for sale claiming to be running vxworks, never never actually found anyone who has one.

What was the source of the manual? Was there anything else of interest?

GansRay

Jun 29, 2017
The manual is for a lb6m running vxworks, it's a different os.
I've seen them for sale claiming to be running vxworks, never never actually found anyone who has one.

What was the source of the manual? Was there anything else of interest?
Association for Computing Machinery Student Chapter at the University of Illinois at Chicago
https://acm.cs.uic.edu/

Last edited:

djbon2112

Nov 24, 2013
Burlington, ON, CANADA
www.boniface.me
The "key" here was the "no port-channel static". Without that it's a LAG but doesn't do LACP.
I posted in Quanta LB6M LACP trunk unable to pass traffic with vlans about this as well, but this thread has more traction.

I seem to hit a limit of 8 LACP port channels on my switch:

Code:
(s2) (Interface 1/9)#no port-channel static

1/9
Unable to convert static Port-channel to Dynamic.
Maximum allowable dynamic Port-channels (8) already present in the system.
Edit: I was able to work around this myself by converting my switch-to-switch bond to static rather than dynamic, freeing up the 8th dynamic LAG for my last server. But that's the limit here until we find a way around this.

Anyone else seen this, or know a way around it?

Last edited: