Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Maybe the 8 core was a bit overkill hehe

I think that I might order the mainboard with the C3558R as a spare

The C3758 models are all gone now on ali

• Haha
Reactions: diggitydru

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Maybe the 8 core was a bit overkill hehe

I think that I might order the mainboard with the C3558R as a spare

The C3758 models are all gone now on ali
I already asked them about it and it's supposedly because it's out of stock. It should return "within this month". Weirdly, they have a different AliExpress listing with expensive shipping where they are still available though.

The C3758 (R or non-R) is needed if you want to use it as a 10 Gbit/s router. If not, it certainly is overkill. :D

Yeah, I noticed that a few days ago too. However, I imagine that ordering from there would be a lot more hassle. After all, Alibaba isn't really meant for single unit orders.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Apparently, it is not discontinued. :)

Quotom Support said:
Q20331G9 isn't discontinued, it will be available within this month as well.
Thank you!
Quotom Support said:
We were not going to produce Q20331G9 before because it is much more expensive than Q20332G9 (More than $20.00/piece).

But a lot of customers are inquiring about this model, so this time a batch was produced together with Q20332G9.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: SlowmoDK

nuphy

Oct 3, 2023
Can this unit auto boot on power recovery? Looking to use this unit for pfsense but want to make sure the unit will pick back up after power loss

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: nuphy and SlowmoDK

1001jona

Oct 14, 2023
Hello everyone I bought a unit when I saw this post and set it up as a proxmox server has anyone been able to get it in proxmox and use the SFP+ for the Interface?

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Hello everyone I bought a unit when I saw this post and set it up as a proxmox server has anyone been able to get it in proxmox and use the SFP+ for the Interface?
Using SFP+ should be no different than any other NIC in system, are you havin' trouble setting up proxmox ?

Just assign management interface to SPF+ NIC (ix0,ix1,..) with a static ip during installation

First trouble shooting if not working, would be the physical link to the SFP+ port

1001jona

Oct 14, 2023
Using SFP+ should be no different than any other NIC in system, are you havin' trouble setting up proxmox ?

Just assign management interface to SPF+ NIC (ix0,ix1,..) with a static ip during installation

I Am setting all the SPF+ for the interface because it is just not picking it up and even with all of them selected I still can't get the interface but as soon as I pit one of the Gig NICs it works

First trouble shooting if not working, would be the physical link to the SFP+ port
I do see activity lights when plugged in

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
I Am setting all the SPF+ for the interface because it is just not picking it up and even with all of them selected I still can't get the interface but as soon as I pit one of the Gig NICs it works

I do see activity lights when plugged in
Are u trying https on port 8006 for interface with the static IP selected during proxmox install ?

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Small update

My unit seem to have auto power on set to last state

ie. first power on, u have to turn physically on, but if unit loses power while on, it powers back up

So no small, hard to get, jumper needed :)

Reactions: blunden

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
the perfect companion for this unit https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006064182068.html

model : K35274SAS

3.5" Four Bay Docking Station External Hdd Enclosure RAID Function Disk Array Box Support SAS interface SFF-8088

connect to the sff8087 port on unit :)

I'm getting one and using as a backup target for my main TrueNAS box :cool:

This expand this unit to more general use cases besides just as network router, with the 4 hdd external and the 2 nvme slots internally

Has anyone tried sticking some ECC ram in this and see ?
CPU supports it for sure
I don't have any so-dimms ecc to test, and expensive to buy just to test and find not working

EDIT : yes it does

Last edited:
Reactions: Gammel and blunden

amb3r

Jul 30, 2022
@SlowmoDK is proxmox working with this unit on its sfp+ ports?

is VT-D / VT-X , Passthrough IOMMU available on Bios? can anyone please share screen shot of bios? thanks guys

Last edited:

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
@SlowmoDK is proxmox working with this unit on its sfp+ ports?

is VT-D / VT-X , Passthrough IOMMU available on Bios? can anyone please share screen shot of bios? thanks guys
Yes but not latest ... there is a bug in ALL 6.xx linux kernels that drops link on the x553 NICs.

Proxmox 7.4.x works with SFP+ without issues, and I can't imagine that the bug wont get fixed in 6.xx kernel eventually

I have both several NIC's and onboard SATA controller (used for external sff8087) passed through to different VM's

So no issues with VT-D :)

EDIT : new proxmox 8 or 8.1 can work if you pin the kernel to the latest 5.x.x version

Last edited:

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Yes but not latest ... there is a bug in all 6.xx kernels that drops link on the x553 NICs.
@1001jona this was most likely also your issue ... stick to proxmox 7.4 for now and you'll be just fine

I didn't know this when replying to you earlier :(

by proxy this also means latest TrueNAS Scale is no-go atm, but CORE works fine

Last edited:
Reactions: SBMe

Lobsterism

Dec 9, 2023
Hi, this is my first post to the forum, and I'm trying to get started. I have options from my home fiber provider for 10G, 5G, and 2G. The modem is in the garage and currently goes to an RJ45 wall jack in my living room, which connects to my old router that I'll be replacing.

If I simply swap out the router in my living room with this and an RJ45 to SFP+ adapter, will it support whichever of those speeds I sign up for? Will the 2.5G ports support 2G without an adapter? I've read that some devices only support their advertised speed _or_ 1G, but nothing in between. Also, just sanity checking that the 10G ports can be WAN? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

cc @SlowmoDK

Thanks for helping out!

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Hi, this is my first post to the forum, and I'm trying to get started. I have options from my home fiber provider for 10G, 5G, and 2G. The modem is in the garage and currently goes to an RJ45 wall jack in my living room, which connects to my old router that I'll be replacing.

If I simply swap out the router in my living room with this and an RJ45 to SFP+ adapter, will it support whichever of those speeds I sign up for? Will the 2.5G ports support 2G without an adapter? I've read that some devices only support their advertised speed _or_ 1G, but nothing in between. Also, just sanity checking that the 10G ports can be WAN? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

cc @SlowmoDK

Thanks for helping out!
For 10G, the answer should be yes as long as you make sure the model you buy has 10G interfaces. I don't remember if they all do.

My understanding is that the SFP+ slots only support 1G and 10G, meaning that to get 5G you would need to use an SFP+ module that negotiates 10G to the router and 5G to the your ISP equipment (unless the ISP negotiates 10G regardless and rate limit on their side) but then rate limits the connection. If that's what you decide to go for, make sure to pick a module based on an Aquantia chip as the other ones don't work properly in this particular situation according to other posts on this forum.

For 2G, I would expect your ISP to use 2.5GBase-T and rate limit on their side. That should work fine with the RJ45 ports on this router.

The SFP+ ports can be used as WAN, yes.

Reactions: Lobsterism

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
I can get all the speeds on SFP+ via rj45 transceiver ... but only 10 or 1 via DAC

just tested 2.5g via the x553 no issues, besides pfsense reporting unknown link speed.. my winbox is reporting 2.5gb full duplex (2.5gb nic) on the other end

using a mellanox coded transceiver... so off-brand coded gear works fine aswell

Edit : based on a marvell ( Aquantia ) chip https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/89584.html

Lobsterism

Dec 9, 2023
TIL DAC has another meaning besides Digital Analog Converter!

So the cheaper option (a DAC) lets you attach an optical port directly to copper, so it adapts the SFP+ port to an RJ45 port, but it only lets you do 10G or 1G. But a more expensive transceiver thingy has a chip inside, and that also adapts the SFP+ port to an RJ45 port, but lets you do the other speeds too. Makes sense, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: SlowmoDK