Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I've received Q20321G9-S10 system (w/C3558R) and it's pretty much as described.
Did not test it much yet, but both SFP+ interfaces are functional at 10G; the other two (1G SFP+?) are reported by FreeBSD 12.x as 1000BASE-KX ;-)
Have you had any chance to do more testing yet? Are thermals under control?

zinister

Oct 18, 2022
Hey guys !
I got the q20331g9 s10 model C3758R from Amazon, took 2 days to process shipping since I bought it over the weekend on Sep 16 and arrived Sep 21, pretty fast for actually starting shipping Monday and coming from hong honk,

link:
Qotom Q20332G9-S10 Computer 8... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGM3C6D1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Running opnsense can answer any questions you like.

Operating temp is 50 ,

doesn’t come with a bios jump pin ( going to find the power jump pins and going to install a jumper I’ll update the location for who is interested)

The nic for the sfp is x553

there are more than one model see the following link, you can find that when looking for bios update .

Looks like :
Q20311G9 4 x 1G SFP+ C3338R
Q20311G9 4 x 2.5G SFP+ C3338R
Q20321G9/Q20322G9 2 x 10G SFP+, 2 x 1G SFP+ C3558/C3558R
Q20321G9/Q20322G9 2 x 10G SFP+, 2 x 2.5G SFP+ C3558/C3558R
Q20331G9/Q20332G9 4 x 10G SFP+ x553, 4 x 2.5g + 2.5g wan port C3758R/C3758 (I have this one can confirm this is correct)

Last edited:
Reactions: is39 and blunden

zinister

Oct 18, 2022
I've found same item on Amazon, shipping $42.
I'm more concerned about quality and availability of BIOS updates.
I've one Qotom box which had initial issues, but eventually worked out ok - years later, once BIOS fix was available.
Not sure but it seems they are keeping the bios up to date , I just updated mine to the latest make sure you select the correct one. The page on the device doesn’t link correctly to the repo with the updates they push to. Here’s the link for this device, check the readme for your model.

Reactions: is39 and blunden

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Great! I have a few questions. :)

Is it stable during both load and idle?

Does the power supply seem decent?

What about build quality? Good?

Would you say that the performance numbers are similar to the official pfsense numbers I linked earlier in this thread?

zinister

Oct 18, 2022
Great! I have a few questions. :)

Is it stable during both load and idle?

Does the power supply seem decent?

What about build quality? Good?

Would you say that the performance numbers are similar to the official pfsense numbers I linked earlier in this thread?
Yes I’m getting the advertised speeds, no issues really so far other than the x553 wasn’t compatible with an active dac I had. I just picked up a 10g RJ45 port which works perfectly.

the overall case does get very hot, definitely don’t want to put it anywhere in a closed environment. I have it in my garage, which is quite warm , load gets to around 60c . No idea how hot the heat sink case is but you can’t touch it for longer than 2-4 seconds without wanting to remove your hand. After around 1 min power off it’s cool enough to handle for longer. Also worth mentioning, I replaced the thermal paste underneath with a higher quality, I didn’t turn it on with original paste as I wanted to get the best performance. Also worth noting that the VRM chips are also cooled via thermal tape.

For whoever is interested these are the jumper locations for auto power. Just connect a jumper to the pins shown in red. The headers are named panel 1

Attachments

Reactions: blunden

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Yes I’m getting the advertised speeds, no issues really so far other than the x553 wasn’t compatible with an active dac I had. I just picked up a 10g RJ45 port which works perfectly.

the overall case does get very hot, definitely don’t want to put it anywhere in a closed environment. I have it in my garage, which is quite warm , load gets to around 60c . No idea how hot the heat sink case is but you can’t touch it for longer than 2-4 seconds without wanting to remove your hand. After around 1 min power off it’s cool enough to handle for longer. Also worth mentioning, I replaced the thermal paste underneath with a higher quality, I didn’t turn it on with original paste as I wanted to get the best performance. Also worth noting that the VRM chips are also cooled via thermal tape.

For whoever is interested these are the jumper locations for auto power. Just connect a jumper to the pins shown in red. The headers are named panel 1
Do you think the incompability with that active DAC cable was just a one off or do you think the NIC is picky about passive DAC cables as well?

Is it normal for these Atom CPUs to get that hot? I know that Netgate use the same SoC in what looks like a plastic case, which to me seems like it must be very toasty in there if the Netgate unit isolates all the heat inside. Do you think that it's a concern during general use? Was it that hot all the time or just under heavy load?

Last edited:

zinister

Oct 18, 2022
Do you think the incompability with that acitve DAC cable was just a one off or do you think the NIC is picky about passive DAC cables as well?

Is it normal for these Atom CPUs to get that hot? I know that Netgate use the same SoC in what looks like a plastic case, which to me seems like it must be very toasty in there if the Netgate unit isolates all the heat inside. Do you think that it's a concern during general use? Was it that hot all the time or just under heavy load?
Taking a look at the cpu specs , Intel mentions max operating temps are 82c for my cpu, mind you whatever model you get will probably factor this the most. I have the 8 core which runs at 25TDP. All that considered, I’m pretty happy with the performance and temp, if you keep it in the house you’ll be fine , if I kept mine inside I’m sure I could get 5-7c lower. However my entire server stack is in the garage, and mind you it was 99F today , so garage was toasty , still never went over 62c .

Reactions: SBMe and blunden

zinister

Oct 18, 2022
Do you think the incompability with that acitve DAC cable was just a one off or do you think the NIC is picky about passive DAC cables as well?

I think the issue was my switch , I have a brocade switch that requires active dacs to work, they are pretty specific, I couldn’t figure out why, and didn’t care enough to really dig into it , the RJ45 port I got works perfectly, I think it was something with the auto negotiation from the switch .

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Taking a look at the cpu specs , Intel mentions max operating temps are 82c for my cpu, mind you whatever model you get will probably factor this the most. I have the 8 core which runs at 25TDP. All that considered, I’m pretty happy with the performance and temp, if you keep it in the house you’ll be fine , if I kept mine inside I’m sure I could get 5-7c lower. However my entire server stack is in the garage, and mind you it was 99F today , so garage was toasty , still never went over 62c .
Yeah, 37.2°C (99°F) is really hot so that should indeed explain part of it. :) If I buy it, I will be getting the top spec version (in terms of SoC), which is the one you got if I'm not mistaken?

I think the issue was my switch , I have a brocade switch that requires active dacs to work, they are pretty specific, I couldn’t figure out why, and didn’t care enough to really dig into it , the RJ45 port I got works perfectly, I think it was something with the auto negotiation from the switch .
I see. Thanks for providing that extra context. :) Hopefully it should be fine with standard passive DACs then, and not vendor locked like some other Intel NICs.

zinister

Oct 18, 2022
Yeah, 37.2°C (99°F) is really hot so that should indeed explain part of it. :) If I buy it, I will be getting the top spec version (in terms of SoC), which is the one you got if I'm not mistaken?

I see. Thanks for providing that extra context. :) Hopefully it should be fine with standard passive DACs then, and not vendor locked like some other Intel NICs.
this is the exact model I got from amazon.

Qotom Q20332G9-S10 Computer 8... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGM3C6D1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

16Gb ram, and 256Gb ssd .
Highly recommend picking up some bridge jumpers, otherwise on power loss you will need to reboot the machine yourself.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
this is the exact model I got from amazon.

16Gb ram, and 256Gb ssd .
Highly recommend picking up some bridge jumpers, otherwise on power loss you will need to reboot the machine yourself.
Yeah, that's the one I was considering as well. I would have to order it from Alibaba or elsewhere though since none of the EU region Amazon stores ship that particular product to Sweden.

EDIT: It seems they have it on their official AliExpress store now, which simplifies VAT and shipping. :)

What were the RAM sticks and SSD they included? I was considering reusing an old 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SATA SSD since it should be less affected by temperature and it's using MLC nand.

Good suggestion about the bridge jumpers.

Reactions: zinister

zinister

Oct 18, 2022
Solid State Drive
Phison M.2 2280 E13T 256GB

Ram:
Kingston CBD26D4S9D8K1C-16
DDR4 2400 - 1 16Gb stick

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Solid State Drive
Phison M.2 2280 E13T 256GB

Ram:
Kingston CBD26D4S9D8K1C-16
DDR4 2400 - 1 16Gb stick
Thanks!

So they don't even go for dual-channel. Unless that has some form of latency advantage compared to dual-channel, I would expect two dimms to perform better. Perhaps not though.

Netgate also use single-channel ram on their Netgate 8200 router that is otherwise very comparable. That one uses a C3758R though, which appears to be clocked 200 MHz higher and has a 26W TDP. I only just noticed that. I wonder how much difference that makes for routing performance.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Were all of these firesales? None of them seem to be available anymore on Amazon?
No, I don't think so. They are still available from AliExpress for a similar price. :)

AliExpress

Perhaps they didn't sell enough units on Amazon to make it worth dealing with selling on the platform. It can be a very frustrating experience based on some claims I've seen.

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Hey guys !
I got the q20331g9 s10 model C3758R from Amazon, took 2 days to process shipping since I bought it over the weekend on Sep 16 and arrived Sep 21, pretty fast for actually starting shipping Monday and coming from hong honk,

link:

Operating temp is 50 ,

doesn’t come with a bios jump pin ( going to find the power jump pins and going to install a jumper I’ll update the location for who is interested)

The nic for the sfp is x553

there are more than one model see the following link, you can find that when looking for bios update .

Looks like :
Q20311G9 4 x 1G SFP+ C3338R
Q20311G9 4 x 2.5G SFP+ C3338R
Q20321G9/Q20322G9 2 x 10G SFP+, 2 x 1G SFP+ C3558/C3558R
Q20321G9/Q20322G9 2 x 10G SFP+, 2 x 2.5G SFP+ C3558/C3558R
Q20331G9/Q20332G9 4 x 10G SFP+ x553, 4 x 2.5g + 2.5g wan port C3758R/C3758 (I have this one can confirm this is correct)
What CPU is in your unit, C3758 or C3758R ?

I just ordered one from aliexpress. both cpus should be fine, would just prefer the newer R

Cheers

Last edited:

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Looks like a nice router/VPN platform (may be a bit underpowered for VPN).
These boxes are essentially the same platform as Netgate's own 4100, 6100 and 8200 just at fraction of the price

even the "smallest" model should be able to utilize ipsec vpn close to 1gbps and alot more using wireguard

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
These boxes are essentially the same platform as Netgate's own 4100, 6100 and 8200 just at fraction of the price

even the "smallest" model should be able to utilize ipsec vpn close to 1gbps and alot more using wireguard
Exactly. That's why I linked to the performance specs of the Netgate 8200 earlier to show an estimate of the performance difference between running Pfsense and TNSR on the C3758 model. The Netgate 8200 appliance uses the C3758R though, so performance should be slightly lower in that case.

I wonder how much performance is affected by the 200 MHz lower clock speed of the C3758 compared to the C3758R. Does it scale linearly?

Last edited:
Reactions: SlowmoDK

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
I'm waiting to see whether the model sold on Amazon actually had a C3758R, or a regular C3758 like on AliExpress.
I've messaged seller on ali, if it's possible to get the R version, I'll report back when they answer

but the 200mhz bump on the R version should be negligible in routing performance imo
main feature is still 8 core cpu with QuickAssist & AES-NI