Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
Qotom has new series of fan-less Denverton systems with 4 x SFP+ (now, only some of those are 10G, with 0-2-4 options (and corresponding versions of CPU); the rest is 1G SFP+ (!?)), plus 5 x 2.5G:
No detailed information on motherboard yet, but it's all quite new.

Prices look attractive, i.e.
It seems the system also has 2 x M.2 and 2 x SATA for storage and SFF8087 (miniSAS) for something.
AST2400 for video tells me it has BMC, though i do not see dedicated port; could be just for serial console.

Looks like a nice router/VPN platform (may be a bit underpowered for VPN).

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
They don't say what NICs they use for the SFP+ ports unfortunately.

I wonder what the routing performance is like.

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
Well, i've ordered one, ETA next week (!?).
That SFF8087 is for SATA indeed, and can be split into 4 x SATA interfaces.
Motherboard model is MB4C911-0331 (the photo shows MB4C911-0332); but i can't find either on Qotom sites.
This system reminds me of SuperMicro E302-9A / E302-12D, but noticeably cheaper (and corresponding downgrades to save the money).

Reactions: blunden

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
Goddamnit, I was waiting for some decent Denverton 10G routing hardware, but I just started setting up a Wyse 5070 with PFSense.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Well, i've ordered one, ETA next week (!?).
That SFF8087 is for SATA indeed, and can be split into 4 x SATA interfaces.
Motherboard model is MB4C911-0331 (the photo shows MB4C911-0332); but i can't find either on Qotom sites.
This system reminds me of SuperMicro E302-9A / E302-12D, but noticeably cheaper (and corresponding downgrades to save the money).
I am wondering the shipping fee to cons US.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
This isn't a facetious question, so don't read it in a sarcastic tone:

How does one use these? I have a 2015 era Qotom 4x that I used for PFSense. I retired it and went with a used HP low-power tower where I added a 4x intel NIC, again with PFSense for a router.

How would you use the 4x SFP+ and the 2.5g's? Long ago I read how these types of boxes aren't meant as a switch, they don't have the ASIC that makes it natural, and all packets end up going through the CPU which, even if it's a Xeon, isn't really designed to manage packet-handling well.

Have things changed?

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
Right, this is what've ordered (c3558r). Look at other Qotom selections on Amazon, they have c3338/c3558/c3758 CPU options for this platform.

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
I plan to use it as firewall/router. I do not really need that many 2.5g ethernets, even 1..3 would be enough (IPMI and 1-2 copper);
there is still no clarity if those boxes do have IPMI/KVM, but the video board gives a hint; if it does, it would be a shared port.

This box would replace 4 x GigE Qotom fan-less system. It's connected to a switch which is doing switching; those are cheap-ish now,
even with 10G support.
I cannot use systems with a fan in the target environment (well, i can, but then i end up swapping fans or even systems too often; sticky dust :( ).

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
This isn't a facetious question, so don't read it in a sarcastic tone:

How does one use these? I have a 2015 era Qotom 4x that I used for PFSense. I retired it and went with a used HP low-power tower where I added a 4x intel NIC, again with PFSense for a router.

How would you use the 4x SFP+ and the 2.5g's? Long ago I read how these types of boxes aren't meant as a switch, they don't have the ASIC that makes it natural, and all packets end up going through the CPU which, even if it's a Xeon, isn't really designed to manage packet-handling well.

Have things changed?
The intended way to use these are as routers. You would probably only use a small number of the ports, in a simple setup probably just one as WAN and one as LAN. In some cases, you might want to aggregate some of them or have multiple WAN ports if you have redundant internet connections. If you don't want to use vlans for some reason, you could also use some of the ports for different network segments.

No, things have not changed, nor are they likely to do so in the future. Switches exist for good reasons. :)

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I've found same item on Amazon, shipping $42.
I'm more concerned about quality and availability of BIOS updates.
I've one Qotom box which had initial issues, but eventually worked out ok - years later, once BIOS fix was available.
For Qotom, probably they will only update the BIOS for 2 or 3 years only.
Probably I was 1 of the users for the 1st batch of Qotom 5th gen i5 quad-port mini PCs(which were so popular in reddit, netgate user forum and STH forum at that moment), but they removed this product from their website around 2 years.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
The Atom C3758R based model looks very similar to the Netgate 8200 router based on the same SoC.

A good example of the performance difference between pfsense and TNSR on the same hardware. :D

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Just be aware that if you use transceivers on those SFP+ ports, they might overheat depending on the exact type (some depend on the airflow over them they'll have in usual switches / servers).

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Just be aware that if you use transceivers on those SFP+ ports, they might overheat depending on the exact type (some depend on the airflow over them they'll have in usual switches / servers).
True. In my case I would be using DAC cables though, which should presumably be fine without it.

Reactions: Vesalius

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
I've received Q20321G9-S10 system (w/C3558R) and it's pretty much as described.
Did not test it much yet, but both SFP+ interfaces are functional at 10G; the other two (1G SFP+?) are reported by FreeBSD 12.x as 1000BASE-KX ;-)

Reactions: tigo