EXPIRED Precision 7820 Tower, dual Silver 4110, 32gb, 1tb ssd, P600 $349 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
I was unsuccessful at getting a digital license activated on the 7810. I tried a Windows 8.1 iso and two different Windows 10 ISOs (one from 2016) and both presented the attached error. The 7810 has two Bronze xeons installed.

It was still a smashing deal. I got lucky and both my deliveries were in good condition even though they need to use more packing material.

Attachments

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I was unsuccessful at getting a digital license activated on the 7810. I tried a Windows 8.1 iso and two different Windows 10 ISOs (one from 2016) and both presented the attached error. The 7810 has two Bronze xeons installed.

It was still a smashing deal. I got lucky and both my deliveries were in good condition even though they need to use more packing material.
it is conceivable that some may have been sold with linux installed and no windows license or the motherboard was swapped out for a replacement and the key never stored.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016

Try running
Code:
wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
from an elevated command prompt and see if it gives you a key.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
my last update. The seller offered and I accepted a 10% refund off my total order of 3.

I also did not ask for a rebate due to damage - they simply offered after I explained the damage and gave critical but polite feedback on the packaging. fwiw they didn't even ask for pictures so I suspect this is not the first refund for this batch of systems they shipped.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
The output given is "OA3xOriginalProductKey"
Unfortunately, if the key doesn't show up under that text, then no Windows license was included originally with that system.
One other possibility is that it had a Windows 7 license, but there should be an OEM sticker with the key on it instead. If this was the case, you might be able to active Windows 7 using SLP/SLIC and then upgrade to windows 10 from there.
Or it just didn't come with Windows like itronin mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard Wad

xcomm

Feb 3, 2023
I purchased a single CPU version of this desktop about 6 months ago. Dells auto Fan control is junk. I could not get the Fans to ramp up under CPU load the the CPU gets hot.
I had to manually set Fan speed to around 25% to get good cooling under heavy loads.
Also the front drive bay access panel can be locked with the push button inside on the top of the case.
When its locked the front release will not pop the front.
Also I wish this system had more USB ports, but its been great other then the cpu temps/fan Issue.
Single 6226R Gold with 128G ram.

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
I purchased one unit this afternoon when it came in stock. For those still wanting one, watch the auction on eBay and turn on your app notifications, and you'll get a message pretty quick after it comes back.

@Sacrilego I'm sending you a DM about your licensing problems.

Reactions: Sacrilego

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
I purchased one unit this afternoon when it came in stock. For those still wanting one, watch the auction on eBay and turn on your app notifications, and you'll get a message pretty quick after it comes back.

@Sacrilego I'm sending you a DM about your licensing problems.
He was trying to help me. I ended up buying a license for the machine since it will be needed for its new home. If you want to please pm me. Thank you

Reactions: Sacrilego

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
Can you plug a SAS drive into one of the onboard "pcie/u.2" ports (top right on motherboard)? Don't need raid, just want to add a sas drive.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Out of curiosity, what does the front config look like? Which SAS/NVME/U.2 config?

Does anyone have any specs on an idle power draw?

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
On mine the top two 3.5" bays are the U.2s and the bottom two are 3.5" SATA. One U.2 spot was available but you need a kit to mount an m.2 which appeared to be readily available on fleabay. I did run a crystal bench test on the 1TB drive and it was reasonably quick, with 2-3k reads. Next time I boot it up I can get you numbers on power.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
On mine the top two 3.5" bays are the U.2s and the bottom two are 3.5" SATA. One U.2 spot was available but you need a kit to mount an m.2 which appeared to be readily available on fleabay. I did run a crystal bench test on the 1TB drive and it was reasonably quick, with 2-3k reads. Next time I boot it up I can get you numbers on power.
there are also m.2 to u.2 adapters available icy dock for example, (amz, newegg etc) which essentially do the same thing as the DELL flexbay kit but are cheaper. Its not as fancy as the dell flexbay or as easy to use per say since you have to pull the tray to pull the m.2 to u.2 can and then open the u.2 can to get at the m.2 but if you are doing that often then flexbay is probably the better choice.

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
Got my "heavy use" tower in yesterday and honestly it is in really good shape. Heavy as hell, but so far it works really well. Happy with this for $350.