EXPIRED Precision 7820 Tower, dual Silver 4110, 32gb, 1tb ssd, P600 $349 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Hope they are dual procs like the listing stated, in for 3.
If not return it, or dispute and get $$$ off...
I'm trying to convince myself that I really don't need one, my current i5-8 does what I need...

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
Snagged one of the 7810s for $179 because I couldn't resist. Let's see how it looks once I get it... Thank you @gregsachs for the heads up.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Seller just sent me a message at the bay. Tracking number with Dell Serial/Service Tags for the three systems.

Lookup shows all three of mine were originally configured with dual cpu's. The configuration stated by the seller basically matches the DELL original configuration. Whether things were added or removed - who can say - only when its in my hands will I (we) know for sure.

A couple of configuration notes:

370-ADTK : 32GB 4x8GB DDR4 2666MHz RDIMM ECC Memory
490-BEQU : Quadro P620, 2GB, 4 mDP to DP adapter PWS 5820,7x20T
414-BBBV : Intel NVMe PCIe SSD (Front PCI e FlexBay)
401-ABJR : M.2 1TB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Sol id State Drive
400-AVDR : Dell M.2 carrier
338-BMXR : Intel Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz, (3.0GHz Turbo, 8C, 9.6GT/s 2UP I, 11MB Cache, HT (85W) DDR4-2 400 2nd)
338-BMWW : Intel Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz, (3.0GHz Turbo, 8C, 9.6GT/s 2UP I, 11MB Cache, HT (85W) DDR4-2 400)

I doubt it will come with mini-DP to DP adapters. No matter that card will come out after the first boot anyway.
I guess it will come with the cute little u.2 to m.2 drive tray with the m.2 cannister thing.

Service Plans ended between Feb and Dec '22 on my serial #s.
My guess is that these are "off lease" or sold corporate units and the original owner prefers to lifecycle the hardware rather than extend the support contract.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Well, my unit has arrived (it only had a short 200 mile hop down the I5 from Seattle)

The packing job was minimal, and I'm being kind. One layer of bubble wrap around the unit and put into a thin-ish carboard box. The box arrived with 6 of the 8 corners dented, so the usual FedEx care was applied. When I picked up the box the unit was clearly moving around ...

Surprisingly, the unit itself does not appear to have suffered for the journey and al corners on the unit are square. There are a few of scratches and dings on the unit, nothing concerning, and I would say that it meets the listing description of "This unit shows moderate signs of use, including scratches and staining throughout the tower".

I had a really hard time releasing the front cover for the 3.5" drive bays, there's something up with the mechanical latching mechanism, maybe shipping related (and yes, I did press the blue unlock button inside the case).

It appears that the configuration matches that of the Dell Service Tag, a Dual 4410, 32GB, nVidia Quadro P600.

Looking inside the unit, it certainly is dusty and needs a clean. Motherboard Sata ports 0 and 1 are cabled up, as are ODD ports 0 and 1. ODD 1 goes to the 5.25" expansion bay area and is not connected. Sata ports 0 and 1 are connected to the left upper and lower 3.5" removable drives as looking from the front with the unit in a horizontal plane. NVME carrier is installed in bottom right bay.

Upon entering the BIOS, the nvme drive can be seen under System Configuration / PCIe Drives. It shows up as the Mini-SAS PCIe SSD-0 device.

However, when attempting to load Windows, the Windows installer indicated there was no target devices available. I pulled apart the case to verify that the NVME FlexBay was connected (it was, it looks like a hard connection) and verified that the NVME was installed correctly in the carrier. Then it dawned on me that I might have to load a driver for the installer to see the NVME devices. The Dell support page shows that there is an Intel RST enterprise driver, so I downloaded, extracted the files and stuck the windows10-X64 folder onto a USB.

The next attempt at loading Windows I loaded up the RSTe driver, and that solved the problem of not seeing the NVME drive, and Windows loaded as expected.

It's pretty quiet at low loads, I've yet to do any real testing.

Pretty sweet for $350, thanks indeed to @gregsachs for the heads up!

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I had a HP of that era, and i couldn't install to a nvme drive until I had updated the system bios.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
Wow that was FAST!
I'm very glad it does come with both cpus.
You should be able to change from Intel RST to AHCI in the SATA settings. That should then allow you to use the native NVME drivers.
***EDIT***

Oops, see mrpasc's response below.

Last edited:

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Added bonus ..

I added an Intel U.2 NVME drive into one of the 3.5/2.5 caddies and installed it in the upper right bay, rebooted and the drive was recognized. This explains why only SATA ports 0 and 1 were wired to the left hand upper and lower 3.5" bays.

So support for 2 NVME devices!

The lower right "FlexBay" assembly for the m.2 carrier can be removed with a bent paper clip, allowing one of the 3.5/2.5 caddies to be used for a 2nd U.2 device. So it's easy to configure as (1x U.2 + 1x M.2) or 2x U.2.

Not sure how the chassis would handle 2x U.2 drives running at 25W each under load though .. hopefully there's a thermal sensor in that area ?

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Wow that was FAST!
I'm very glad it does come with both cpus.
You should be able to change from Intel RST to AHCI in the SATA settings. That should then allow you to use the native NVME drivers.
Nope, that would work if one want’s to install to SATA drives. you have to um-check „Intel VROC“ in Bios for the PCIE Port the NVME is connected to. Than it is a plain NVME device and usable for Windows install whiteout INTEL VROC driver.

Reactions: Sacrilego

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
Nope, that would work if one want’s to install to SATA drives. you have to um-check „Intel VROC“ in Bios for the PCIE Port the NVME is connected to. Than it is a plain NVME device and usable for Windows install whiteout INTEL VROC driver.
Ack! You're correct. I had completely forgotten about VROC. The reason I mentioned the SATA options is because in my experience, with it enabled, it tries to use the NVME drives as a cache for the slower sata devices in other dell systems I've worked on.

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
By chance do you know if truenas or unraid will recognize those PCI0/PCI1 ports?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
no reason for them not to - but you won't get ability to set up raid on them from motherboard/cpu side raid.
(software raid or if those cards offer raid on their own - there won't be any problem)

/vroc is only for raid on intel cpu;
there's normal cheap one that works only with intel and there's premium one that works with other brands; its also more expensive one (dell currently sells it for 380 usd, and i dont see one on ebay for dell - tho physically they all look the same.)

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
You do not need a DELL VROC Key. I do have one „Intel SSD only“ Key from Fujitsu working as well as an Supermicro „standard“ one.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
thats good to know. > then one can get standard one for intel only for 45 usd on ebay from lenovo.

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
Thank you. I bought one of these systems. It is amazing how many features it has. Someone really liquidated their hardware at this price point.

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
Received my "Dell Precision 7810 x2 Xeon E5-2620 v3 32GB 500GB HDD + x2 256GB SSD BTO *NO OS*" ($180) down in Southern California.

Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but does indeed have 2x E5-2620 V3's and 4x 8GB sticks of RAM.

Whoever mentioned earlier that the packing job was subpar... uhhh, yeah, no kidding. The poor thing had quite a bit of wiggle room in the box and very little bubble wrap. The tower sliding pane was knocked off the rails and the front bottom corner of the tower was damaged (some plastic moulding cracked and some of the metal rail bent/got knocked out of place -- fixed it with pliers).

Anyway, will plug in later and try to throw Proxmox on it.

About the video card... after setting everything up, I assume I can just unplug the power to it and still be able to boot with no video? I'll check if there are any BIOS options for checking video at POST, etc, I guess?

Reactions: ru me and CyklonDX

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
received two of the three I ordered. I have asked the seller for the tracking number. Sadly the rear carry handle was broken off and the security tab was bent and the cover came off with some effort. Hopefully the system is still operable.

packing was atrocious.