PM983 device itself not being detected by ESXi (8.0.1)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
I bought 3x MZ1LB1T9HALS PM983 drives off eBay. They are all new with zero hours.

I'm trying to use these with ESXi 8. I currently have 970 Evo Plus's that work just fine, even with vSAN.

VMware HCL lists minimum supported firmware for the PM983 in 8U1 as EDA7202Q. Mine came with EDA73F2Q.

I've tried updating via the Samsung DC toolkit in Windows with the drive passed through, but got an error about "Invalid DSRD Script"

I also came across a bit newer firmware bin but not quite up to the HCL level, but the DC toolkit keeps telling me I have the incorrect syntax even though it's correct.

Tried nvme community drivers as well with no luck. Tried creating partition tables, formatting, etc. I am able to pass the PCI device through to a VM and the VM sees it no problem. Also for some reason ESXi is listing them as "970 Evo Plus's", even though they are not, unless they just use the same controller.

How can I get these drives to work correctly? I've never had so much trouble before updating firmware and getting something that should work out of the box to work.

vCenter screenshots of vmhba: