PLEASE IGNORE (WOULD DELETE THIS THREAD IF I KNEW HOW)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I have several Supermicro SuperServer 5017C-TF that I would like to consider using to build a simple cluster of 3-4 nodes. It's a long story!! I'd like to try to get this mini-homelab style project working and assess the feasibility quickly, otherwise I'm going to add these servers to the collection of hardware that is marked for downsizing.

The issue is that the SuperChassis 811TQ-350B is very noisy. Mostly I think this is due to the blower fans pushing air over the E3-1270 v2 CPU.

Is anybody familiar with this style of cooling 1U servers, and is there a way I can change the fans and modify the chassis, etc, so as to significantly reduce the noise? Would it be easier to make a "cluster stack" of these mainboards and find another way of cooling the whole contraption? If so, where would I find more information about doing things this way?

You know what I mean, i.e., inserting 2" (or thereabouts) spacers between the mounting holes in the stack of identical boards. Is there a resource that shows how mainboards can be put together in this way? Where are things like HDD's mounted in this kind of arrangement?

Thanks for any advice!!