OmniOS/Napp-it standalone to AIO ESXi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Hi, I know this has been covered briefly before though I cannot find the appropriate thread:
I have a standalone OmnisOS server but am trying to reduce my power bill as I have an R610 (2012 R2 Datacenter), R710 (2012 R2 Datacenter), and SQ836 X8F (OmniOS 48TB across two vdev)

I've just recently purchased 128GB of ram, an S2600CP4 mobo, and dual 2670 processors.
I'm planning on installing ESXi and virtualizing an 2012 R2 DC instance (to keep my 6x 2012 R2 guests licensed) and OmniOS with passed through HBAs.

My OmniOS instance is tied to a domain controller if that matters.
I'd like to be able to backup my entire OmniOS/napp-it configuration as I do not wish to reconfigure AD, ACLs, shares, etc.

I know that I will have to backup /var/web-gui/_log, but what other settings will require backing up that will not automatically migrate when exporting/importing a pool? Will I have to rejoin to the domain or can these settings be saved?

I do not currently have a Napp-It pro license nor have the budget remaining for it currently (Canadian $$$ vs Euro) so not certain if that limits the backup/restore within Napp-it.

Oh, as a final note, is there any reason I just can't pass through my disks one-by-one in hyper-V to the omnios guest? I realize that I'll be losing smart status but are there any other negatives? This would prevent me from having to virtualize Server 2012 R2 DC for all of my windows guests. My linux guests are totally happy within Hyper-V and I assume OmniOS would be similar?

Any help/assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If you want to move, you can do this manually
- save /var/web-gui/_log
- export your pool
- install ESXi and import the napp-it template
- restore /var/web-gui/_log with napp-it settings

- set the HBA to pass-through
- import the pool

- join the domain
- re-add id mappings if needed
optionally: recreate users and smb group with same uid/gid

With napp-it Pro ACL extension this would reduce to (there are home editions)
- run a backup job
- reinstall napp-it and join the domain
- run a menu User > Restore all settings

Raw disk mapping of disks is an option with Hyper-V or ESXi but I always prefer
real disk access for ZFS with native Solaris drivers not over ESXi or Hyper-V.
A virtualized AD server is not a problem with newer Windows server and ESXi
(and gives ZFS snapshots and easy backup/ restore options).

In my own setups all servers are virtualized on ESXi including my AD servers.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Thank you Gea for your detailed reply. I suppose that keeping OmniOS/Napp-It on a dedicated server is the best option though at the cost of additional power consumption and 10GB networking.
If I WERE to go AIO, it seems that spending the $150 CDN on Napp-It pro would make an for an easier transition (plus give me automatic replication to a different volume (which I have to manually run now)).

Hrmm.. I suppose I could use this equipment to build an over-the-top Hyper-V server but I don't really need the compute or RAM. Figured I'd be giving a few cores plus a bunch of RAM to an OmniOS guest.

Decisions decisions...

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry Gea,
But how exactly do you save /var/web-gui/_log?

I wish to update my 15a napp it VM to the latest one

thank you

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can use WinSCP to save/restore manually or

You can setup a napp-it backup Job to save settings to a datapool.

Restore via WinSCP from your datapool or (napp-it Pro)
Restore all settings including user and AD with User > restore settings

Reactions: epicurean