NVMe adapter for 4 drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Does anyone know if you can buy a PCIe 3.0 x16 low profile card that supports FOUR M2 NVMe drives?

I found this Supermicro card which supports TWO drives but I am looking for a card that supports FOUR drives:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/sup...ile-add-on-card-supports-up-to-2-nvme-m2-ssds

Does such a low profile card exist that supports 4 drives?
PCI Express Gen 3 Carrier Board for 4 M.2 PCIe SSD modules SQUID Carrier Board™ Family - Amfeltec Corporation - innovative hardware products for all kind of computers, computer peripherals, communications equipment, and similar electronic products.

about $500 delivered to USA when I checked.

libranskeptic612

Apr 26, 2019
Shame you are limited to low profile, as Asus and Asrock do cards for about £40 here and they perform really well, there's no PLX onboard so the motherboard needs to support 4x4x4x4 bifurcation on one of the x16 slots.

Asus card is super cheap and I think it's quite well made (works well with Threadripper): HYPER M.2 X16 CARD | Motherboard Accessories | ASUS United Kingdom
Yep. $500~ is surreal. They are just dumb PCB/adapters afaik. A pcie 3 x16 slot modded to 4x m.2 ports.

The hard part is the mobo bifurcating the 16 lanes into 4x x4 lanes.

I cant recall the brand - it was a smaller name like gigabyte or asrock - had such a 4x card, with a feature I intuitively liked - they went to extra lengths to keep the traces as short as possible by angling them, in preference to a series of right angles.

c steff

Apr 18, 2019
Does anyone know if you can buy a PCIe 3.0 x16 low profile card that supports FOUR M2 NVMe drives?

I found this Supermicro card which supports TWO drives but I am looking for a card that supports FOUR drives:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/sup...ile-add-on-card-supports-up-to-2-nvme-m2-ssds

Does such a low profile card exist that supports 4 drives?
what about using a standard height pcie adapter for your 4x nvme ssds with a pcie riser and do a quick mod inside your case /fix the pcie card somehow in place to not short something on the motherboard
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermaltake-Gaming-Black-Extender-AC-053-CN1OTN-C1/dp/B06Y5YNGDJ/
but there are cheaper risers
I am using a pcie riser with a rx460 graphics card in my PC

Reactions: libranskeptic612

Philmatic

Sep 15, 2011
Yep. $500~ is surreal. They are just dumb PCB/adapters afaik. A pcie 3 x16 slot modded to 4x m.2 ports.

The hard part is the mobo bifurcating the 16 lanes into 4x x4 lanes.

I cant recall the brand - it was a smaller name like gigabyte or asrock - had such a 4x card, with a feature I intuitively liked - they went to extra lengths to keep the traces as short as possible by angling them, in preference to a series of right angles.
They are not dumb PCBs, there is a PLX chip (probably the PEX8732) on there that isn't cheap plus that Amfeltec card has a real funky interchangable PCIe connectors that allow it to support x4, x8 and x16 slots.

The cards requiring bifurcication are truly dumb, but their price reflects that.

Reactions: TomUK and svtkobra7

libranskeptic612

Apr 26, 2019
what about using a standard height pcie adapter for your 4x nvme ssds with a pcie riser and do a quick mod inside your case /fix the pcie card somehow in place to not short something on the motherboard
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermaltake-Gaming-Black-Extender-AC-053-CN1OTN-C1/dp/B06Y5YNGDJ/
but there are cheaper risers
I am using a pcie riser with a rx460 graphics card in my PC
This sounds eminently sensible - a riser and a conventional card. Low profile makes it too hard.

If the linked riser is dear, shop around in china. I am sure they are very cheap if you find a better source - just like perfectly fine single pcie nvme adapters are ~$7 on ebay.

libranskeptic612

Apr 26, 2019
They are not dumb PCBs, there is a PLX chip (probably the PEX8732) on there that isn't cheap plus that Amfeltec card has a real funky interchangable PCIe connectors that allow it to support x4, x8 and x16 slots.

The cards requiring bifurcication are truly dumb, but their price reflects that.

libranskeptic612

Apr 26, 2019
Well yesm PLX is a different ball game, but afaik, all posters have assumed its a bifurcated slot. All the OP specified was half height.

afaik, plx is a different ball game re performance too - it sucks vs native nvme.

chx

Dec 25, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: Kev

RichieLAX

Oct 13, 2020
Tallahassee, Florida
You are looking for the JEYI iHyper M2X16. Amazon.com: JEYI iHyper M.2 PCIE3.0 X16 to 4X NVME Adapter Card PCIE3.0 GEN3 X16 to 4X NVME RAID Card PCI-E VROC Card: Computers & Accessories

Also notable are the ANU24PE08 and ANU28PE16 cards both of which come with low profile brackets and despite sporting a PLX PCIe switch IC they only cost 63 USD for an x8 to quad U.2 and 112 USD for an x16 to eight U.2 port card. Aliexpress 4000547667414, 4000756443950.
or this one

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE

They got one issue - they physically range into the "airspace" of your adjacent PCI slot - if you don't have any: good
Else, consider this adapter from Gigabyte: CMT4034 (rev. 1.0) Overview | Accessory - GIGABYTE Global

1608076033988.png
It's quite sophisticated, but by now rare to get. Got a couple of them too, work great!
They only use bifurcation