NVMe adapter for 4 drives

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by BSDguy, Mar 30, 2019.

1. BSDguy

BSDguy Member

2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

I've only seen the 4x on the Full Height cards :/

3. ullbeking

ullbeking Member

4. sth

sth Active Member

PCI Express Gen 3 Carrier Board for 4 M.2 PCIe SSD modules SQUID Carrier Board™ Family - Amfeltec Corporation - innovative hardware products for all kind of computers, computer peripherals, communications equipment, and similar electronic products.

about $500 delivered to USA when I checked.

5. TomUK

TomUK Member

Shame you are limited to low profile, as Asus and Asrock do cards for about £40 here and they perform really well, there's no PLX onboard so the motherboard needs to support 4x4x4x4 bifurcation on one of the x16 slots.

Asus card is super cheap and I think it's quite well made (works well with Threadripper): HYPER M.2 X16 CARD | Motherboard Accessories | ASUS United Kingdom

libranskeptic612 likes this.
  6. libranskeptic612

libranskeptic612 New Member

Yep. $500~ is surreal. They are just dumb PCB/adapters afaik. A pcie 3 x16 slot modded to 4x m.2 ports.

The hard part is the mobo bifurcating the 16 lanes into 4x x4 lanes.

I cant recall the brand - it was a smaller name like gigabyte or asrock - had such a 4x card, with a feature I intuitively liked - they went to extra lengths to keep the traces as short as possible by angling them, in preference to a series of right angles.

7. c steff

c steff Member

what about using a standard height pcie adapter for your 4x nvme ssds with a pcie riser and do a quick mod inside your case /fix the pcie card somehow in place to not short something on the motherboard
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermaltake-Gaming-Black-Extender-AC-053-CN1OTN-C1/dp/B06Y5YNGDJ/
    but there are cheaper risers
    I am using a pcie riser with a rx460 graphics card in my PC

libranskeptic612 likes this.
  8. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

They are not dumb PCBs, there is a PLX chip (probably the PEX8732) on there that isn't cheap plus that Amfeltec card has a real funky interchangable PCIe connectors that allow it to support x4, x8 and x16 slots.

[​IMG]

The cards requiring bifurcication are truly dumb, but their price reflects that.

svtkobra7 likes this.
  9. libranskeptic612

This sounds eminently sensible - a riser and a conventional card. Low profile makes it too hard.

If the linked riser is dear, shop around in china. I am sure they are very cheap if you find a better source - just like perfectly fine single pcie nvme adapters are ~$7 on ebay.

10. libranskeptic612

11. libranskeptic612

Well yesm PLX is a different ball game, but afaik, all posters have assumed its a bifurcated slot. All the OP specified was half height.

afaik, plx is a different ball game re performance too - it sucks vs native nvme.

12. sth

sth Active Member

Do you have any benchmark data?

13. BlueFox

BlueFox Active Member