Newegg via Ebay: *Refurbished* SAMSUNG Data Center Series SV843 2.5" 960GB SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
The two of these that I ordered were pretty much new. Power on hours right now are at 9 and that's mostly me running tests.

Reactions: keybored

morecomputers

Sep 15, 2016
Thank you keybored and BackupProphet.

840/850 pro should be somewhat faster if your video and music workloads are bursty; e.g., you run a task that, say, saves a large mp3 or an mp4 file in a few seconds. But if you run batch tasks that continuously stress the drive then those retail drives will likely underperform the enterprise alternatives. Personally, I don't think 840/850 pro are worth the premium they're selling for right now vs. the used/refurb enterprise SKUs. Last I checked, 850 pro prices were still quite inflated with new 1TB drives selling for ~$350 and used for ~$300.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Yes, my Shipito address was fine, but not the credit card/paypal option. And paying USD15 a month and sundry fees per transaction for a US debit card with a random NotBankOrCU is waaaay up the list of "stuff I won't do".
How about a 'Load & Go TRAVEL card' from Australia Post, transfer funds to US$ wallet within the card and change address on card online to your Shipito address: then pay by card. This is only way I can buy from Newegg, but only works on Newegg on EBay. Oi, oi, oi!

Reactions: dgcruzing

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
I think I was one of the first people to bring these drives to the attention of the forum when I found quite a few going for ~$300 around 1/2015. At the time that price was rather amazing for a 1TB enterprise grade drive. Demand for the drives increased and getting them for under $350-$400 was difficult. At the time most of the drives I was receiving had some HP branding and limited SMART data, but even the drives marked as used had a few GB written to them. As vendor specific drives I don't think I received any with SV843 marked on the drive, model numbers changed slightly depending on the vendor and a few months later many of the deals I found for SV843s turned out to be TLC drives (PM853 I believe). I'm sure the PM853 is a decent drive, but it is read focused with half the endurance. At one point in early 2015 I purchased 4 SV843s for under $1000 from a newer ebay seller with positive reviews until then (PM me if you want more info) and ended up receiving the TLC drives. Given the price and being under $0.25/GB in early 2015 I probably should have resold them properly labeled and made a profit. Returning the drives was a hassle as the seller didn't seem to understand or claimed not to understand the differences between MLC and TLC. Regardless, the model number in the heading and post didn't match what was printed on the drive.

Compared to most SATA drives (especially consumer) I still think they are worth $300 or more in a close to new state. STH did a quick review of a SV843 with normal 7% OP and concluded with "Overall, Samsung SV843 SSD performed very well in our tests, and proved to be faster than many of the competitive offerings we compare the drive against."

The specs differ slightly in some documentation, but supposedly these are the same as Samsung 845DC Pros when OP'd to 28%. The 845DC Pro has an endurance of 14.6PB and outperformed the S3700 in many/most benchmarks. The 845DC Pro still seems to be very highly regarded for a SATA drive.

I personally still have 4 of these that have served many purposes over the last 1.5 years. I used them in RAID10 to host VMs, RAID Z2 for quick bulk storage and even have 1 in a laptop now. No complaints here and I'm tempted to purchase more at this price. The only things holding me back is the progression and dropping prices of NVME drives, picking up new 400GB SLC dual port SAS2 drives rated for 25DWD for under $200 (Sandisk Lightning Ultra Gen II) and that I don't know what to do with many of the 20-30 enterprise grade (240-480GB) SATA SSDs I already have. I consider them peers to the 800GB Intel S3700s going for $200.

The NVME and SAS drives obviously serve different purposes and the only platters I have in use are for offline backup/ collocation. It's nice peace of mind that, in addition to RAID, I have 2+ encrypted offline copies of my "important" data (1 close by and 1 that is often a month or two out of date, but far enough away to be safe from tornadoes or Godzilla attacks). I have cloud backups of a few things that seem especially important or might be critical when I'm travelling. I am probably paranoid as I have more redundancy than a major financial company I worked for and most businesses I know. After losing personal data a few times and watching employers and clients lose data it isn't worth the time or worry to sell the platters. I've been meaning to sell a lot of my "small" (240-480GB SATA SSD's), but I hate selling on ebay.

Anyway, if you're in the market for ~1TB SATA drives these are a steal. Consider over-provisioning them to ~28% and using them in servers, workstations, workstation grade laptops or any laptop when battery life is not a primary concern.

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Yes, my Shipito address was fine, but not the credit card/paypal option. And paying USD15 a month and sundry fees per transaction for a US debit card with a random NotBankOrCU is waaaay up the list of "stuff I won't do".
shipito do usa based credit cards for aliens like us....if you need....

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
I wish I had a few Ebay Gift cards purchased with my Amex BCP. $170 drives with 6% back through AMEX, 4X Fuel Points at Kroger and 10% ebay bucks. ~$134 or $0.14/GB (depending on how you do the math) for well regarded enterprise grade storage o_O

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
shipito do usa based credit cards for aliens like us....if you need....
US Unlocked (virtual) credit card that Shipito promote is 3rd party company it seems.
You need a passport to apply and there is $15 establishment fee, $3.50 monthly fee (+others) and 3-7% transfer fee.

Shipito Assisted Purchase costs $8.50 per 10 unique items + 4.3% bank transfer fee and 8% commission.

Load & Go has no monthly fees, no reload fees & 3% currency conversion fees (other fees apply for other stuff).
But Newegg website (not Newegg EBay site) does recognise it as an International card and denies payments.

Reactions: dgcruzing

zubber

Sep 10, 2016
May I know how you found it's TLC? I bought two SV843, one is significantly heavier than the other, and they were shipped from different locations. I wonder if one of them is TLC.

Thanks.

I think I was one of the first people to bring these drives to the attention of the forum when I found quite a few going for ~$300 around 1/2015. At the time that price was rather amazing for a 1TB enterprise grade drive. Demand for the drives increased and getting them for under $350-$400 was difficult. At the time most of the drives I was receiving had some HP branding and limited SMART data, but even the drives marked as used had a few GB written to them. As vendor specific drives I don't think I received any with SV843 marked on the drive, model numbers changed slightly depending on the vendor and a few months later many of the deals I found for SV843s turned out to be TLC drives (PM853 I believe). I'm sure the PM853 is a decent drive, but it is read focused with half the endurance. At one point in early 2015 I purchased 4 SV843s for under $1000 from a newer ebay seller with positive reviews until then (PM me if you want more info) and ended up receiving the TLC drives. Given the price and being under $0.25/GB in early 2015 I probably should have resold them properly labeled and made a profit. Returning the drives was a hassle as the seller didn't seem to understand or claimed not to understand the differences between MLC and TLC. Regardless, the model number in the heading and post didn't match what was printed on the drive.

Compared to most SATA drives (especially consumer) I still think they are worth $300 or more in a close to new state. STH did a quick review of a SV843 with normal 7% OP and concluded with "Overall, Samsung SV843 SSD performed very well in our tests, and proved to be faster than many of the competitive offerings we compare the drive against."

The specs differ slightly in some documentation, but supposedly these are the same as Samsung 845DC Pros when OP'd to 28%. The 845DC Pro has an endurance of 14.6PB and outperformed the S3700 in many/most benchmarks. The 845DC Pro still seems to be very highly regarded for a SATA drive.

I personally still have 4 of these that have served many purposes over the last 1.5 years. I used them in RAID10 to host VMs, RAID Z2 for quick bulk storage and even have 1 in a laptop now. No complaints here and I'm tempted to purchase more at this price. The only things holding me back is the progression and dropping prices of NVME drives, picking up new 400GB SLC dual port SAS2 drives rated for 25DWD for under $200 (Sandisk Lightning Ultra Gen II) and that I don't know what to do with many of the 20-30 enterprise grade (240-480GB) SATA SSDs I already have. I consider them peers to the 800GB Intel S3700s going for $200.

The NVME and SAS drives obviously serve different purposes and the only platters I have in use are for offline backup/ collocation. It's nice peace of mind that, in addition to RAID, I have 2+ encrypted offline copies of my "important" data (1 close by and 1 that is often a month or two out of date, but far enough away to be safe from tornadoes or Godzilla attacks). I have cloud backups of a few things that seem especially important or might be critical when I'm travelling. I am probably paranoid as I have more redundancy than a major financial company I worked for and most businesses I know. After losing personal data a few times and watching employers and clients lose data it isn't worth the time or worry to sell the platters. I've been meaning to sell a lot of my "small" (240-480GB SATA SSD's), but I hate selling on ebay.

Anyway, if you're in the market for ~1TB SATA drives these are a steal. Consider over-provisioning them to ~28% and using them in servers, workstations, workstation grade laptops or any laptop when battery life is not a primary concern.

handruin

May 24, 2015
All four of mine arrived this morning in individually wrapped anti-static bags as if they looked new. They all visually looked new with no apparent marks, scratches, dust, etc. The power and SATA ports never looked like they had connectors on them. Three of the four had no indication of written data to them via SMART but the fourth drive had a tiny amount. I formatted them under windows and ran IO to them for a bit with no issues found. They all seemed to be healthy and working fine so I removed them from my windows box and installed them into my esxi servers. So far I'm happy with them but time will tell.

IMG_9167.jpg IMG_9190.jpg
samsung_sv843_01.jpg samsung_sv843_02.jpg samsung_sv843_03.jpg samsung_sv843_04.jpg

Reactions: samat.io and zubber

zubber

Sep 10, 2016
Nice. Thanks for posting. Repped.

If you look at the PN, it's different from what Newegg's photo. These are prolly pulled from HP servers, the PN has HP in it, and if you search the PN on ebay, HP labeled ones show up.

All four of mine arrived this morning in individually wrapped anti-static bags as if they looked new. They all visually looked new with no apparent marks, scratches, dust, etc. The power and SATA ports never looked like they had connectors on them. Three of the four had no indication of written data to them via SMART but the fourth drive had a tiny amount. I formatted them under windows and ran IO to them for a bit with no issues found. They all seemed to be healthy and working fine so I removed them from my windows box and installed them into my esxi servers. So far I'm happy with them but time will tell.

View attachment 3425 View attachment 3426
View attachment 3427 View attachment 3428 View attachment 3429 View attachment 3430

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Did anyone do any extended tests on these drives yet ? do they check out okay ?
Are they not TLC drives ?

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
I just got my drives in. Two of them. Look brand new. Same firmware, same birth date, quite close in serial from the batch.
From the first SSD: Start stop count 4.

Did anyone do any extended tests on these drives yet ? do they check out okay ?
Are they not TLC drives ?
Yes, they are MLC drives: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/SM843TSV843-ProdOverview-2014.pdf

Running tests via Hard Disk Sentinel but I'm assuming they'll past anyways. I'll run them for tests since I don't have a plan written up yet for these 2 drives.