Newegg via Ebay: *Refurbished* SAMSUNG Data Center Series SV843 2.5" 960GB SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sing

Aug 3, 2016
This is inferior to Intel S3700 in terms of write endurance.
Yet, it is $30 cheaper and with 160GB more usable capacity.

If you increase the OP and make it to have 800GB usable only, will it match S3700 in terms of write endurance?

Anyway, I hate Samsung's immorality and I have S3700 shipping to me.

keybored

May 28, 2016
This is inferior to Intel S3700 in terms of write endurance.
Yet, it is $30 cheaper and with 160GB more usable capacity.

If you increase the OP and make it to have 800GB usable only, will it match S3700 in terms of write endurance?

Anyway, I hate Samsung's immorality and I have S3700 shipping to me.
Per Samsung, you have to go to 28% OP if you want to achieve 10.5 DWPD: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/SM843TSV843-ProdOverview-2014.pdf
But that is also the worst case scenario. I doubt you can come up with a pure 4K only workload. They're quoting 22DWPD for 64K sequential workloads with the default OP. Real world workloads will be a mix of the two, so I think you'll be struggling to kill the drive even with its inferior 3.6 DWPD at 4K...

handruin

May 24, 2015
I decided to jump on this and I'm in for four to put into my ESXi servers. I would have done the Intel drives if they were still available at $200 but I was late to that party.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
This seems like a really good deal especially with 10% eBay bucks but it's not getting much attention. Is there something I'm missing? Planning to use in a home workstation for mostly static data storage.

keybored

May 28, 2016
This seems like a really good deal especially with 10% eBay bucks but it's not getting much attention. Is there something I'm missing? Planning to use in a home workstation for mostly static data storage.
If you're fine with self-warrantying, you're not missing anything. You're paying $170 for 960GB worth of enterprise quality NAND plus an enterprise level controller. Even consumer TLC drives haven't reached this price level yet. The crappy OCZ Trions are currently selling at around $200 for this capacity.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Yeah but Newegg won't accept orders unless the delivery address, credit card and phone number are in the USA. Because in the Newegg world, apparently the rest of the globe doesn't matter. I'd have grabbed 3 - I didn't even want to have them ship internationally, but the CC address blew it.

handruin

May 24, 2015
Static storage or not you shouldn't be worried to pound on these drives with IO. Samsung specs theses SV843 drives as 3.6 WPD (28% O/P: 10.5 WPD) for 5 years.

3.45TB/day or 6.3PB over its lifetime....there's no way most of use even as advanced home lab users would even come close to this.

If you're fine with self-warrantying, you're not missing anything. You're paying $170 for 960GB worth of enterprise quality NAND plus an enterprise level controller. Even consumer TLC drives haven't reached this price level yet. The crappy OCZ Trions are currently selling at around $200 for this capacity.
This is why I decided to buy a bunch of these. I'm not obsessed with the difference in daily rewrites when compared to the Intel's because the quantity offered with this drive more than covers my use case. When I searched for 1TB drives I couldn't find anything that matched these in price. This is of course assuming these drives aren't abused to hell.

handruin

May 24, 2015
Yeah but Newegg won't accept orders unless the delivery address, credit card and phone number are in the USA. Because in the Newegg world, apparently the rest of the globe doesn't matter. I'd have grabbed 3 - I didn't even want to have them ship internationally, but the CC address blew it.
I paid with Paypal...I didn't need a credit card for this purchase.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I was mostly concerned by the single review on newegg.com stating the SMART data was faked

morecomputers

Sep 15, 2016
How do these drives compare to the consumer Samsung 850/840 pro for workstation use in music production, video editing. I set up a workstation with the dual E5 2670 that had dropped in price and was wondering about this and other enterprise SSDs. I understand that these enterprise drives are valued for greater endurance, and reliability, but purely on performance and given their current used lower price, are they still a good choice?

Oh and i have been reading these forums and accumulating drives and what not...not the best for the wallet clearly :) Thanks

keybored

May 28, 2016
How do these drives compare to the consumer Samsung 850/840 pro for workstation use in music production, video editing. ...
840/850 pro should be somewhat faster if your video and music workloads are bursty; e.g., you run a task that, say, saves a large mp3 or an mp4 file in a few seconds. But if you run batch tasks that continuously stress the drive then those retail drives will likely underperform the enterprise alternatives. Personally, I don't think 840/850 pro are worth the premium they're selling for right now vs. the used/refurb enterprise SKUs. Last I checked, 850 pro prices were still quite inflated with new 1TB drives selling for ~$350 and used for ~$300.

Reactions: morecomputers