1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monero GPU mining in Docker with nvidia-docker

Discussion in 'Cryptocurrency Mining and Markets' started by Patrick, Jan 22, 2017.

1. reedog117

reedog117 New Member

That's not a problem - I just wish I could see the actual Dockerfile and how the images are put together as they aren't really showing up in the Docker Hub.

2. JazzFaucet

JazzFaucet New Member

Is it usual practice to run a Docker container (for CPU mining) and an NVIDIA-Docker container (for GPU mining) on the same physical machine? Is this a case where the two miners together result in a greater total hash rate than running the CPU or GPU miner separately - even though the hash rate from each is slightly less than if it was run alone?

3. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

The most common way to mine is with Windows. If you're using Linux, Docker works. There's usually a different Linux miner for GPU and CPU so you're running multiple miners Docker provides some isolation and ease of mgmt. Nvidia-docker is just docker with the CUDA libraries injected.

4. PHOOK

PHOOK New Member

Hello

I have a GPU ASUS GTX1060, and I mine ETC for a couple of weeks without problem.
    I would like to use your image (servethehome/monero_gpu_nv_minergate) to mine MONERO, launching the container like that:

NV_GPU=0 ; sudo nvidia-docker run -d -e username=xxxxxx@yyyyy.com --name GPU0_monero servethehome/monero_gpu_nv_minergate ; sudo docker logs GPU0_monero -f

####In the logs, after this compilation line
    gcc -std=gnu99 -g -O2 -pthread -L/usr/local/cuda/lib64 -o ccminer ccminer-cpu-miner.o ccminer-util.o ccminer-sha2.o cryptonight/cryptonight.o cryptonight/cuda_cryptonight_core.o cryptonight/cuda_cryptonight_extra.o ccminer-cryptonight.o crypto/ccminer-oaes_lib.o crypto/ccminer-c_keccak.o crypto/ccminer-c_groestl.o crypto/ccminer-c_blake256.o crypto/ccminer-c_jh.o crypto/ccminer-c_skein.o crypto/ccminer-aesb.o -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lcurl -ljansson -lpthread -lcudart -static-libstdc++ -fopenmp -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto -lssl
    #### the make exists...
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/ccminer-cryptonight-0.17'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/ccminer-cryptonight-0.17'
    #### and I get this error
    [2017-07-16 19:08:20] Unable to query number of CUDA devices! Is an nVidia driver installed?

Any idea of what can be wrong ?

Thank you....

P.

For information, following is ok :
    $ sudo nvidia-docker run --rm nvidia/cuda nvidia-smi

Sun Jul 16 19:24:07 2017
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 367.35 Driver Version: 367.35 |
    |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    | GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
    | Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
    |===============================+======================+======================|
    | 0 GeForce GTX 106... Off | 0000:01:00.0 Off | N/A |
    | 0% 40C P8 7W / 120W | 0MiB / 6072MiB | 0% Default |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes: GPU Memory |
    | GPU PID Type Process name Usage |
    |=============================================================================|

| No running processes found |

5. nthu9280

nthu9280 Active Member

I think there is a min NVIDIA driver version required. 38?.??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. PHOOK

PHOOK New Member

Thank you for your advice.
    Apparently only 375.66 driver is available on NVIDIA Website (for linux 64)(Graphics Driver - Linux Display Driver - x86 | NVIDIA)

I will keep you informed

7. PHOOK

PHOOK New Member

@nthu9280 thank you !!!
    I installed the new driver, reinstalled nvidia-docker, rebooted et this is it...
    Approx 440H/s with my GTX 1060

A big thanks also to @Patrick who allowed me to play with docker and mining.

Patrick likes this.