Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
Just did my eGPU stuff.

Rather than rehash it all here I'll provide the link to the posts I made at eGPU.io

NOTE: These are 2 different enclosures I tested FYI. I currently am running the OcuLink one that is the FIRST link.

Last edited:

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
Well we can add the crucial T500 to the list of things that causes compatibility issues with this device. If I have it in slot 1 with no GPU it works perfectly but with GPU no boot. Put it in slot 2 and I can have both nvme and GPU. They definitely need to update bios, that or somehow they used too many pcie lanes. Samsung 990 Evo doesn't have these issues in slot 1 btw
Support got back to me and asked me to try T500 in slot 1 with GPU but disable vt-d and sure enough that worked. It sure looks like a bios issue now. Sure hope they fix this soon, I definitely don't want to leave that disabled for future VM plans.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Just did my eGPU stuff.

Rather than rehash it all here I'll provide the link to the posts I made at eGPU.io

This is exactly what I want to do with one of my units. Out of curiosity do you know how much power the egpu rig is drawing at idle?

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
This is exactly what I want to do with one of my units. Out of curiosity do you know how much power the egpu rig is drawing at idle?
I do not.

A buddy of mine has a meter, but he's off on vacation for a couple of weeks.

I'll see what model he has and maybe get one of my very own.

Unless anyone has any recommendations?

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Just did my eGPU stuff.

One of your links shows PCIE 3.0 X4, the other shows PCIe 4.0 X8. Which is it linking up at?

Last edited:

h0schi

Oct 24, 2020
Germany
Did anyboy tested the i5-12600H ?

I ordered the i5-version, but they will ship it end of may (if it is true) …
On the other hand the i9-version is available via amazon and it ca be arrived in 2-3 days …

hard to decide :rolleyes:

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Did anyboy tested the i5-12600H ?

I ordered the i5-version, but they will ship it end of may (if it is true) …
On the other hand the i9-version is available via amazon and it ca be arrived in 2-3 days …

hard to decide :rolleyes:
My 12600H is currently up and running. It’s fantastic so far—frankly exceeding my expectations as far as efficiency is concerned and it’s got a ton more headroom than the Lenovo tiny that it’s replacing.

The wait is certainly a bit annoying—only you can decide if it’s worth the higher price to get it sooner. I knew that the 12600H was more than enough CPU for my needs, so I decided to wait it out.

Reactions: h0schi

h0schi

Oct 24, 2020
Germany
My 12600H is currently up and running. It’s fantastic so far—frankly exceeding my expectations as far as efficiency is concerned and it’s got a ton more headroom than the Lenovo tiny that it’s replacing.

The wait is certainly a bit annoying—only you can decide if it’s worth the higher price to get it sooner. I knew that the 12600H was more than enough CPU for my needs, so I decided to wait it out.
Can you tell me something about the power consumption and noise ? it should be a bit lower than the i9-version, hm ?

Last edited:

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
One of your links shows PCIE 3.0 X4, the other shows PCIe 4.0 X8. Which is it linking up at?
2 different enclosures.

1 link is a USB4 eGPU that I ordered the same time as the MS-01. That one runs at PCIe 3.0 X4.

The other link is an OcuLink card that operates at the full PCIe 4.0 X8 speed the MS-01 supports.

I ordered the OcuLink one after learning about it, and thinking a friend bricked my USB4 one. Turns out it was fine, his different model minipc just needed special firmware to do TB3/USB4 stuff right.

Both work, but the OcuLink one works SO MUCH FASTER.

Only had it running a day though so can't vouch for stability. Seems good so far

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Can you tell me something about the power consumption and noise ? it should be a bit lower than the i9-version, hm ?
I can't tell you anything about the power consumption or noise as compared to the 12900H, since I don't have that version. But in my proxmox cluster, running my firewall VM and my media stack (plex, channels dvr, *arrs), it idles right around 20W. It pops up a couple watts if one of the aars is actively downloading something.

Reactions: Whatever and h0schi

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
2 different enclosures.

1 link is a USB4 eGPU that I ordered the same time as the MS-01. That one runs at PCIe 3.0 X4.

The other link is an OcuLink card that operates at the full PCIe 4.0 X8 speed the MS-01 supports.

I ordered the OcuLink one after learning about it, and thinking a friend bricked my USB4 one. Turns out it was fine, his different model minipc just needed special firmware to do TB3/USB4 stuff right.

Both work, but the OcuLink one works SO MUCH FASTER.

Only had it running a day though so can't vouch for stability. Seems good so far
Where can I find the oculink 8i PCIe card and egpu enclosure?

dialbat

Feb 23, 2024
Guys, i just installed Crucial 98gb kit in my MS-01, which states its 5600. But when i check in BIOS, it says its 5200.
Any one knows why it shows 5200?

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
Where can I find the oculink 8i PCIe card and egpu enclosure?
That's unfortunately a question I don't know how the answer to.

I bought it off of Superbuy and it took a couple of months to get to me.

In that time the listing disappeared and I've not seen another one.

It's an OSMETA EG-01 GEN 4 and they made a gen 5.

But the taobao and superbuy links seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Not sure what that means as I don't reas Chinese.

nickramsbottom

Apr 9, 2024
Can anyone tell me what comes in the box with the machine? I have bought two NVMe drives for my barebones model but only one of them came with a screw, do I need to get my hands on a screw for the other one and a set of standoffs for both?

dvdplm

Jan 11, 2024
Can anyone tell me what comes in the box with the machine? I have bought two NVMe drives for my barebones model but only one of them came with a screw, do I need to get my hands on a screw for the other one and a set of standoffs for both?
No, you're good, there are standoffs and screws for all three M2 slots.

Reactions: nickramsbottom

dvdplm

Jan 11, 2024
QNAP 4-port SFF-8088 adapter from the QNAP TL-D400S JBOD kit.
I'm having problems with this one, driving me a bit nuts. The SFF-8088 card included with the TL-D400s – a qxp-400es-a1164 – is not recognized in the MS-01. The card is good, shows up fine in my desktop (tried in windows, ubuntu and unraid) but the minisforum does not see it.

I tried a network card to check if the PCIe slot was perhaps bad in the MS-01: it's not, the NIC shows up fine.

Before I send back the QNAP, is there anything obvious I'm missing? Any advice appreciated!

garbia

Feb 16, 2024
Help needed!
I have a WD Black 850 playstation version, it barely fit on the leftmost slot PCIe 4.0 x4 so I am thinking about putting on the SSD with an adapter on the PCIe 4.0 x16 slot so that i would take advantage of full 7000mb/s speed
The leftmost slot would be used for my Samsung 990Pro which fits with the heatsink that Minis Provides with the MS-01 and use the other two slot for older/slower NVME (proxmox OS)

Any issue I may encounter? I am new to proxmox so I am afraid of compatibilities issue

thank you !

Mintify

Apr 29, 2024
I'm planning to get a Samsung 990 pro 4TB for my ms-01 and I'm struggling to decide if I should buy the one with a heat sink or not. The one with a heat sink is a bit cheaper and could help with the heat, but will it fit? Does anyone know? :)
For those in the future I got a Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsink, and it does not fit, not because its too tall, but because its slightly too wide!

I got the barebones MS-01, and it does indeed come with its own heatsink. Ill probably end up removing the heatsink and using the provided one. Got a RX 6400 card as well and that fits just fine, after swapping out the bracket for a low profile bracket.

Reactions: Relock25