Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Anyone else seeing their memory halved when using a PCIe 3.0 x8 card? I've got 96GB that gets cut to 48GB when I put in my LSI 9300-8E HBA. I also have 2 nvme SSDs installed in the 1st and 2nd slots that may be affecting how many PCIe lanes are available.
i wonder if that's the smbus issue that requires you to tape off some pins on the pcie connector.

Reactions: BlueChris

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Anyone else seeing their memory halved when using a PCIe 3.0 x8 card? I've got 96GB that gets cut to 48GB when I put in my LSI 9300-8E HBA. I also have 2 nvme SSDs installed in the 1st and 2nd slots that may be affecting how many PCIe lanes are available.

Update: Definitely not related to having the 2 M.2 SSDs - I removed them and still have half the memory gone. Removing the PCIe card resolves the problem. Wondering if I need to tape some of the PCIe contacts to reduce it to PCIe 3.0 x4.
You need to put tape in the smbios pins
Read this thread

LDighera

Feb 4, 2024
Santa Barbara, CA
So I was playing around with fan speeds in the bios for the cpu. I picked up some nice temp drops without any audible difference on idle. My high loads are bursts and MS-01 is in a closet so I don't hear it. I don't mind the fan being loud when its working hard. At idle I felt like the fan was too slow so I wanted to see how high I could turn it up and still be silent.

Here are the stock settings:
View attachment 35102

This is what I settled on:
View attachment 35103

My idle temps dropped 4C.

There are some definite improvements to be made facturing in your climate, noise levels and fan speeds.
Have you seen this real-time temperature and voltage display tool?

flobert

Sep 3, 2019

The i5-12600H is new isnt it? With Intel vPro...
Interesting! I think for most home users is the i5 more than enough. :)

ibis69

Mar 14, 2024
Might be regional but just got an email that the price will increase on March 18th.
There's a -50€ discount code if you buy the i5-12600H until march 17th on EU store. Just cancel my i9 order as the i5 is way cheaper
Here

Last edited:

shmokey629

Jan 21, 2024
There's a -50€ discount code if you buy the i5-12600H until march 17th on EU store. Just cancel my i9 order as the i5 is way cheaper
The email I got doesn't refer to any particular variant. They are saying MS-01 price will increase, that's all. Again, may be regional.

Whatever

Jan 27, 2015
Apparently they replaced the i5-12450H version for the i5-12600H (the latter one has vPro) with a slight bump in the price. If i remember correctly, the i5-12450H version was €519 in Europe and the new one is now €539. It seems like a pretty good deal considering the upgraded features (the number of Efficient-cores also went from 4 to 8).

I was about to pull the plug on a random i3-1315U CWWK/HUNSN Mini PC on Amazon, but with the above discount code, the price difference is minimal so i'm unsure about what to do now. What worries me the most is the idle power consumption since i expect the box to sit at idle most of the time and i think the i9 reviews shown a ~30-40W consumption at idle and at around 90W under load.

Can anyone shed a light on what would be a ballpark numbers comparison between this i5-12600H and, say, a i3-1315U or a U300?

Tbh, i have no need for the 10Gb network ports, so i would probably just try to disable them and save some Watts.

Thanks!

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
Apparently they replaced the i5-12450H version for the i5-12600H (the latter one has vPro) with a slight bump in the price. If i remember correctly, the i5-12450H version was €519 in Europe and the new one is now €539. It seems like a pretty good deal considering the upgraded features (the number of Efficient-cores also went from 4 to 8).

I was about to pull the plug on a random i3-1315U CWWK/HUNSN Mini PC on Amazon, but with the above discount code, the price difference is minimal so i'm unsure about what to do now. What worries me the most is the idle power consumption since i expect the box to sit at idle most of the time and i think the i9 reviews shown a ~30-40W consumption at idle and at around 90W under load.

Can anyone shed a light on what would be a ballpark numbers comparison between this i5-12600H and, say, a i3-1315U or a U300?

Tbh, i have no need for the 10Gb network ports, so i would probably just try to disable them and save some Watts.

Thanks!
I didn't notice the improved CPU - I wonder if people with orders waiting on the i5-12450H version, will be automatically swapped for the i5-12600H.. I'd cancel my orders for those..

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
They will upgrade them for free according to their Discord channel.
That's awesome!

I should look at using Discord. I'm a self hosted, FOSS kinda guy and Discord always seemed slimy to me. However, it does seem like every company is using it to communicate these days. The new twitter/facebook. Time to climb out of my cave, I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

anewsome

Mar 15, 2024
I direct ordered my MS-01 back in January (located in Texas) so I'm still waiting. Quite frustrating to read all the users who have received theirs already, especially the ones who didn't pre-order direct. There was one guy who said he ordered from Amazon and it showed up the next day!

I just spend about 5 hours reading all 40 pages of this thread. Picked up a ton of good tips and unfortunately I didn't write any of them down.

I ordered 5 of the MS-01 and I plan to Proxmox the whole lot, with Ceph storage across all the NVME drives. I plan on 96gb on each node. Each node will also have an Nvidia GPU, not sure if it'll be Oculink connected or Thunderbolt.

I'll keep watching the thread for more answers about vPro, a rack mount solution, taping pins on x8 cards, bios and kernel tweaks and so on.

I'll compile a list of all the tweaks I've found here and apply them from the start and hopefully save myself some time and headaches.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
FYI, to those planning to use NVME PCI switch card on the PCI slot.

96GB RAM will drop to 48GB due to SMBUS sharing bug causing conflict with DRAM module, something Minisforum has confirmed. You must put insulation tape to cover SMBUS pin on this card.

Other than that card seems to working, running at ~55C (measured over heatsink) with open case when idling.