Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
You can preorder from Simple NUC (see my link above) and pay premium for the exact same thing. Not sure if they ship quicker.

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
I have 3 22110 ssd.
How can you throw one 22110 in the u2 port?
For the others you can remove spacers screws corresponding to 2280 but not for this one.
You could use smaller nvme 2230, 2242, 2280 drives with extension board

Screenshot 2024-03-07 131918.png

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
I have no answer from support on this point.
Would a u.2 be a good solution?
I read few pages earlier about samsung pm9a3; i wonder if it has better heat dissipation. i've never used u.2 ssd.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
I have no answer from support on this point.
Would a u.2 be a good solution?
I read few pages earlier about samsung pm9a3; i wonder if it has better heat dissipation. i've never used u.2 ssd.
Fwiw I'm using a u. 2 pm983a and have no problems

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
The 22110 is a larger enterprise card I'm not sure how the extension board would help him
He won't be able to use his 3 2210 because of the nvme fan with the ext board it wont block the fan. Sorry meant to say replace his 1/2 of his 22110 with 2230 2242 etc.

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
The 22110 I Want to use is for the pcie4 x4 port. The one where you can put a u.2 ssd not the wifi port.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Fwiw I'm using a u. 2 pm983a and have no problems
I also dont have problems with this disk but once i wanted to copy something from a Samsung 980 to it (400GB vm) and during the transfer the 980 died.... i touched the 980 and i wasnt able to even touch the chip on it.... the nvme just shuted down from temperature!!!!! . After a reboot the nvme was fine but bottom line is that 3 disks in that thing if you push them its not OK.

At this moment i have thoughts to completely dissasemble the machine and put everything in a SFF box... after all we all bought it i think for the specs of it and not the size that has its caveats as matter heat...

Also the fan design that exists i am not sure that is optimal IMO... instead to bring air directly on the disks from outside, it takes the heat from above the nvme's and takes it out of the front of the machine... i dont know if this is optimal

Last edited:

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
I also dont have problems with this disk but once i wanted to copy something from a Samsung 980 to it (400GB vm) and during the transfer the 980 died.... i touched the 980 and i wasnt able to even touch the chip on it.... the nvme just shuted down from temperature!!!!! . After a reboot the nvme was fine but bottom line is that 3 disks in that thing if you push them its not OK.

At this moment i have thoughts to completely dissasemble the machine and put everything in a SFF box... after all we all bought it i think for the specs of it and not the size that has its caveats as matter heat...

Also the fan design that exists i am not sure that is optimal IMO... instead to bring air directly on the disks from outside, it takes the heat from above the nvme's and takes it out of the front of the machine... i dont know if this is optimal
Completly agee with you. The specs are good but thermal design is awful. I would have made the case 3 or 4 cm thicker to have a much better airflow.

Reactions: Phibs

Whitecitadel

Feb 13, 2018
I think everything is backordered now except for Aliexpress and a $1000 price tag. There is no inventory on Amazon which there would be if they have stock.
Yeah I asked via the website and they said shipping end of April, direct from Hong Kong which may or may not be an issue for import taxes depending on how they do it - will wait for now for stock to improve - better if they stock Amazon somewhere in Europe and you can be certain on taxes.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Completly agee with you. The specs are good but thermal design is awful. I would have made the case 3 or 4 cm thicker to have a much better airflow.
I found a solution i think... we can raise a bit with spacers the case and with the inside metal bracket and the fan out we can put a fan underneath the box to throw air inside....
I will buy an 120x15mm 5v fan and i will get power from a usb port....

Reactions: nicoska

heromode

May 25, 2020
I found a solution i think... we can raise a bit with spacers the case and with the inside metal bracket and the fan out we can put a fan underneath the box to throw air inside....
eventually these high performance small boxes will all come with fully perforated cases, and one or two standard casefans mounted outside the case. Anything else is stupid and non-viable. It's pure stupidity to try to cram all these hot components into a small closed space, and then start crying about thermal issues.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Also i feel a little neglected regarding the SFP+ issues reported earlier. I posted a link to a reddit post on how to individually disable ASPM for the nic's only. It might be a mandatory thing to do, If the aim is to run 2x10GB links reliably, while having low total wattage.

Also to the user having issues with NIC bonding on the SFP+ ports, my experience with multipath iscsi says flow control is essential for reliable bonds. I hope someone would test my theory. Disable ASPM, and enable flow control on the switch ports.

Reactions: NerdAshes

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
good idea.
I discuss my thermal concerns here

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Also i feel a little neglected regarding the SFP+ issues reported earlier. I posted a link to a reddit post on how to individually disable ASPM for the nic's only. It might be a mandatory thing to do, If the aim is to run 2x10GB links reliably, while having low total wattage.

Also to the user having issues with NIC bonding on the SFP+ ports, my experience with multipath iscsi says flow control is essential for reliable bonds. I hope someone would test my theory. Disable ASPM, and enable flow control on the switch ports.
After almost 48 hours i dont have a tiny problem with the SFP+ ports and esxi.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Damn this think is super efficient ... with all my VM's on it of my HomeLab and passthrough an Nvidia GT730 and the Onboard Usb3 for my Personal VM, i never goes above 80w and normal it sits at ~45w.

garbinc

Jan 25, 2024
This seems to be a solution:

Disabling ASPM on a per-device basis

maybe @garbinc could try to disable for 10G nic this way
I tried this and ASPM was disabled in bios and on kernel. I also tried removing bond and running just a single nic and same issues. I didn’t try the flow control however, when I get the new machine. for now I’m going to stop pulling my hair out and stick with Debian 6.1 because I have less packet drops, no issues bonded issues and it’s been working flawlessly for 3 days. ( without disabling anything )

thanks for your input btw