Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

skipper ohms

Jan 24, 2024
i'm finding the ms-01 a bit too loud when it's in full load. is there a way to deliberately cripple the cpu so that it runs slower in terms of performance and not have the fan go crazy? (currently running proxmox on it if that helps)

would running only on E cores help in this regard?
Try this:
Code:
apt-get install cpufrequtils
echo "GOVERNOR='powersave'" > /etc/default/cpufrequtils
systemctl restart cpufrequtils
Also, powertop has a Tunables tab that can give an overview of things to change.

Reactions: Cousclou

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Is anyone using proxmox with ceph on their MS-01's yet? I just ran a benchmark with rados and my iops seem a little slow even with u.2 drives.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Which U.2 drives are you using? You also sticking with the onboard SFP+?
PM983a, made an alcohol fueled ebay error when i entered my search for the pm9a3 and i got both devices back in the search results.

Using thunderbolt networking. iperf3 is showing 23gbps half duplex to each port, even if i'm stressing both ports at the same time.

Reactions: BlueChris

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
PM983a, made an alcohol fueled ebay error when i entered my search for the pm9a3 and i got both devices back in the search results.

Using thunderbolt networking. iperf3 is showing 23gbps half duplex to each port, even if i'm stressing both ports at the same time.
Same error here but not solely my fault. I ordered from a shop the 9A3 8TB... they replied to me that they had it and i did proceed the order and in their reply they had in the invoice the 983 but my eyes didnt spotted that.
Anyway i am ok.. after all, this disk will be for data.. the VMs will run in a Samsung 990 Pro 2TB....

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
What measurement device have you used? I am asking because at such low consumptions the power factor is usually low and not all measurement devices consider that.
Sanwasupply Wattmonitor

Shout out to @MetalPhreak for making me aware of this type of adapter, I grabbed one from Amazon and confirmed it works fine in the A+E slot and was able to install/boot Ubuntu 23.10 without jumping through any hoops. Appears to connect through a USB bus so performance is probably trash, but should work fine as a boot device. Not sure why it doesn't show up under lspci, so here's the lshw output:
Would really love to install proxmox on A+E key SSD without using any of the other 3 slots.
That is super interesting and could be very useful! Keep us posted on how it works if/when you get one.
A+E Key SSD Cervoz T425
I have good news, using now the 512GB A+E Key SSD as boot without any problems. The other drive will now be used for additional storage.
Had to go into contact with the Company where they forwarded me to a foreign sales which took care of the process (since I was not buying in EU). Cervoz itself seems to only sell directly to business customers.

andrei4002

Feb 15, 2024
i have 3 ssds (4tb each) on the ms-01. is it possible to run proxmox and pcie forward 2 of the drives to a truenas vm? or if i were to use one of those A+E ssds instead of wifi, maybe even all 3 of them?

Elzeard

Jan 16, 2024
i have 3 ssds (4tb each) on the ms-01. is it possible to run proxmox and pcie forward 2 of the drives to a truenas vm? or if i were to use one of those A+E ssds instead of wifi, maybe even all 3 of them?
I put 4 SSD using the WIFI slot ( I posted a picture previously).
I tried to pass PCI Devices directly to my Windows VM but no working (ramdom disconnections)
I tried this and work like a charm (except SMART) :

Silvard

Feb 14, 2024
Sanwasupply Wattmonitor

A+E Key SSD Cervoz T425
I have good news, using now the 512GB A+E Key SSD as boot without any problems. The other drive will now be used for additional storage.
Had to go into contact with the Company where they forwarded me to a foreign sales which took care of the process (since I was not buying in EU). Cervoz itself seems to only sell directly to business customers.
Can you share the sales contact that can supply these to "retail" customers abroad? This is a very neat solution.

Reactions: nicoska

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
Can you share the sales contact that can supply these to "retail" customers abroad? This is a very neat solution.
German sales rep mentioned that I should use the inquiry here. After two days I got contacted by another sales rep which brought me in contact with my local sales rep. Please keep in mind that the link is only for non-EU orders.

Reactions: Silvard

Silvard

Feb 14, 2024
German sales rep mentioned that I should use the inquiry here. After two days I got contacted by another sales rep which brought me in contact with my local sales rep. Please keep in mind that the link is only for non-EU orders.
Noted, thanks a lot. Did you need to do it as a business or were you able to purchase as an individual? Any MOQ?

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
Noted, thanks a lot. Did you need to do it as a business or were you able to purchase as an individual? Any MOQ?
It seems like only if you buy directly from Cervoz in the EU, an business is needed. I was forwarded to a sales rep which offered it also to private persons. No MOQ, bought at the advertised price on the homepage (converted to my currency).

Reactions: Silvard

Tsatsar

Nov 12, 2023
It seems like only if you buy directly from Cervoz in the EU, an business is needed. I was forwarded to a sales rep which offered it also to private persons. No MOQ, bought at the advertised price on the homepage (converted to my currency).
I also contacted them today as individual via online chat, told me I could make my order directly from online shop or by sending en email to specific address.

daveodwyer

Feb 28, 2024
Anyone else finding the fans are running very loud even when not under heavy load?

At 8.3% utilization on the host;

1709133606708.png

The VM running (Debian, running a docker container)
1709133741325.png

VM config for reference:
1709133810741.png

Temps for reference
1709133664644.png