Mellanox ConnectX-2 Still Good?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rehmat, May 13, 2019.

1. Rehmat

Rehmat New Member

Hi there. I have recently started building a homelab based on a custom NAS and a few R710's. I am looking to upgrade to 10G networking (point to point, NAS to workstation R710) and am wondering if the ConnectX-2 cards (mnpa19-XTR) are still any good? I've heard that they are plug and play in windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04LTS works fine with them. Just wondering if its worth spending the extra ££ and upgrading them to ConnectX-3 cards?

I also have some Qlogic QLE2562 FC cards with Avago 8G SFP+ modules. I got these for free, is it possible to do IPoFC with these. I cant find much about them online.

Thanks

2. kiteboarder

kiteboarder Member

It's been awhile since I had the connectx-2's, but I think the main upgrade is that the 3's added RDMA (RoCE).

At this point if you're buying cards, I would spend a few extra bucks and get the 3's. They're not that much money. And honestly if you're just doing point to point, I would go for the 40 Gb connectx-3's if the cable length between the machines is reasonable.

Oh and I think the 2's are no longer supported with updated drivers. The 3's are still supported with newest drivers.

3. ttabbal

ttabbal Active Member

I'm running a pair. Linux only, the upstream drivers work fine, I haven't messed with the Mellanox drivers, but I understand they don't support the CX2s these days. I think if I were buying now, I'd do the CX3, just to have more options with RDMA and such, but I already own the CX2s and they work great. I also haven't had a need for RDMA, so I just keep with what I'm doing.

4. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Mellanox cards have been problematic for me. These days I use Chelsio and Solarstorm.

5. Rehmat

Rehmat New Member

Could you give me a model number for the 40Gb ConnectX-3 cards please. I will be connecting my NAS server (L ubuntu 16.04.2LTS) to my R710 workstation. TBH i'm still undecided between Ubuntu 19.x.x and Windows 10 Pro.

6. kiteboarder

kiteboarder Member

Attached Files:

7. Rehmat

Rehmat New Member

Thanks!!

8. BackupProphet

BackupProphet Well-Known Member

I run Mellanox Connect X2 on both Windows 10 and FreeBSD. No issues, full speed! If you update the firmware you can get RDMA on this one too, and it is also very power efficient, I think it uses something around 5w max.

But the prices has increased A LOT the last year. So yeah I would just get the 40GbE cards

9. Rehmat

Rehmat New Member