LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by Toasty, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Devinirv

Devinirv New Member

Thanks for the response.
    Where does one acquire the 512byte sbr file, I would love to apply this overwrite and see what my results are. When you are referring to backup copy, if I had said 512byte sbr file it would erase this backup. Or is the backup something that I need to somehow not trigger when the pci bus reinitializes the card?

Thank you so much for some of the hints. I feel like I'm making progress with this. I've probably invested almost 80 hours in the last 3 weeks with research and testing and learning from my mistakes. Im bound and determined to do this. however im trying to take care in doing this and after work all day and family stuff im tired and ive learned the hard way... do not screw with stuff tired and hungry mistakes happen.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

Uh...... the 512 byte empty SBR is just a 512 byte file with zeros... you can create one with any binary editor program or in linux, with /dev/zero.

on all the SBRs I've seen, there's a duplicate copy of the data, I assume that's a backup. both primary and backup are contained within the SBR, so if it is 256B SBR, and you write 0's to those 256B, then the backup copy is gone too. But if you write 256B 0's to a 512B SBR, what I'm saying is that it is likely the backup copy still exists, depending on how data is organized.

3. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Hey guys, I'm actually working on the H730p, and I have a few ideas. I will report back with anything I find.

Hey BL, had a quick question for ya, what program do you use to open .rom files?

Also just to confirm, the H710p uses the SAS2208 Chipset? This is capable of pci-e 3.0? Interesting...

4. Devinirv

Devinirv New Member

Hello,

Yes the sas2208 uses pci e 3.0 but only on the d1 revision. These cards are almost identical the the sas2308 chip. I have personally flashed a cisco branded lsi 9271 8i to sas2308 IT firmware. This card gained complete functionality as a 2308 hba with out issue other than a loud speaker. This card is 100 percent flashable contrary to others opinions. There has been multiple successes with it. Using the generic lsi branded 2208 cards is easiest. I'm working on the Dell cards currently. BLinux knows his stuff and is league's ahead of me. He is more familiar with the different variants and how to flash more proprietary cards. I haven't had time to revisit my current Dell perc 710p due to time and holidays approaching. However I will be back at it soon to create an sbr file once I've got more time. I would like to finalize with eventually creating sorta written directions know doing this. However I must be successful more than once on multiple cards before I do...

5. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Sounds good brother! Lets do this! Let's conquer these cards! Race ya! :.)

6. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

Hey guys... this is a little bit off topic, as i'm investigating Dell PERC RAID firmware to LSI MegaRAID firmware flash and not an "IT mode" flash... but I need the original LSI SBR for a LSI SAS2208 Rev D1 (PCIe 3.0) card with MegaRAID firmware. If anyone has a card still with RAID firmware, and runs PCIe 3.0 with the 2208 D1 chipset, I would appreciate it if you can extract the SBR and send it to me in PM. The SBR should be 512 bytes, and if you extract it with MEGAREC, make sure to get a newer version of MEGAREC that can see the 2208 chipset (confirmed with MEGAREC -adpList).

7. vanfawx

vanfawx Active Member

@BLinux I think I can help with that. I still have my SBR backup of the 9270-8i I converted to a 9207-8i IT mode.

I've sent you a PM.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  8. Devinirv

Devinirv New Member

Hey so that sbr file if it is from a stock lsi or ibm model will not have the 512byte sbr, atleast mine didn't. It is a direct lsi part number card with a d1 revision.

I still have not attempted to write a binary file with all zeros or modify an sbr file to be 512 bytes for the dell cards. Time has not been on my side, newish job responsibilities, family, holidays, and fatigue.
    I would like to revisit this soon and hopefully pick someones brain more. Ive looked at some treads on editing the files as well as videos but nothing super in depth. from what ive read and seen, i may be out of my element due to some unknowns.
    I would like to create an sbr that isnt just zeros but rather as close to stock lsi as possible or even dell if possible with allowing it to overwrite the entire sbr from the sas2208 (512) to a sas2308(512) so the card doesnt read the backup and will atleast be recognized in bios or system os.

I would greatly appreciate assistance from anyone familiar with these sbr files, and rewriting them. If someone were to have such a file and be willing to share then thank you. However im not asking for a handout. this is my problem and im working to find a solution to the best of my ability. Ive learned a little bit more about these cards in the last little bit and it has been a valued learning experience.
    @BLinux Thank you for all the helpful tips and hints you have provided. BTW keep up the great work you do and Good Health!

Sleyk likes this.
  9. vanfawx

vanfawx Active Member

@Devinirv The SBR is from a retail boxed MegaRaid 9270-8i and is 512 bytes, as is the SBP.

If you want to create an empty 512 byte SBR, from Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=512byte.sbr bs=512 count=1

Past that, I'm not really sure what you're asking for. If you'd like a copy of the SBR I sent @BLinux, I'm more than happy to do that.

Sleyk likes this.
  10. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Thought there were plenty of empty "sbr's" floating all over the interwebs. :p

@Devinirv I liked your post, but don't sound so glum brother. We can share the load. Thats why we're all here. We are all looking for the solution. Then we share it. You don't have to take it all on yourself brother.

Also, I know it's frustrating to see the solution and know it is right there and can grasp it, but it is just not fully solved. Don't worry mate. You will get it. Just keep at it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  11. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Now, I think I understand what you mean brother, but I thought that the proper way to go about it was to completely write ALL zero's to the SBR. This allows Megarec to clean the flash. I suppose its possible to write or modify an SBR to a custom one where it just shows up and works for the card, but I get the feeling the card might run into compatibility issues in itself down the line. I'm not sure.

Perhaps the better way would be to take your specific SBR you obtained from your card and play around with some .bin file managers or a rom edit utility to see if you can modify or customize the sbr. I think making it all zero's is best though. This is just from my limited experience! It seems like the 2nd Gen LSI chipsets take different firmware better when the flash is completely overwritten and cleaned. I think @BLinux was able to acheive a custom SBR with his flash of the Mini Mono H310 though. Either way, just keep working at it mate.