LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Thanks for the response.
Where does one acquire the 512byte sbr file, I would love to apply this overwrite and see what my results are. When you are referring to backup copy, if I had said 512byte sbr file it would erase this backup. Or is the backup something that I need to somehow not trigger when the pci bus reinitializes the card?
Uh...... the 512 byte empty SBR is just a 512 byte file with zeros... you can create one with any binary editor program or in linux, with /dev/zero.

on all the SBRs I've seen, there's a duplicate copy of the data, I assume that's a backup. both primary and backup are contained within the SBR, so if it is 256B SBR, and you write 0's to those 256B, then the backup copy is gone too. But if you write 256B 0's to a 512B SBR, what I'm saying is that it is likely the backup copy still exists, depending on how data is organized.

Devinirv

Jan 7, 2019
Canada
Hello,

Yes the sas2208 uses pci e 3.0 but only on the d1 revision. These cards are almost identical the the sas2308 chip. I have personally flashed a cisco branded lsi 9271 8i to sas2308 IT firmware. This card gained complete functionality as a 2308 hba with out issue other than a loud speaker. This card is 100 percent flashable contrary to others opinions. There has been multiple successes with it. Using the generic lsi branded 2208 cards is easiest. I'm working on the Dell cards currently. BLinux knows his stuff and is league's ahead of me. He is more familiar with the different variants and how to flash more proprietary cards. I haven't had time to revisit my current Dell perc 710p due to time and holidays approaching. However I will be back at it soon to create an sbr file once I've got more time. I would like to finalize with eventually creating sorta written directions know doing this. However I must be successful more than once on multiple cards before I do...

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hey guys... this is a little bit off topic, as i'm investigating Dell PERC RAID firmware to LSI MegaRAID firmware flash and not an "IT mode" flash... but I need the original LSI SBR for a LSI SAS2208 Rev D1 (PCIe 3.0) card with MegaRAID firmware. If anyone has a card still with RAID firmware, and runs PCIe 3.0 with the 2208 D1 chipset, I would appreciate it if you can extract the SBR and send it to me in PM. The SBR should be 512 bytes, and if you extract it with MEGAREC, make sure to get a newer version of MEGAREC that can see the 2208 chipset (confirmed with MEGAREC -adpList).

Devinirv

Jan 7, 2019
Canada
@BLinux I think I can help with that. I still have my SBR backup of the 9270-8i I converted to a 9207-8i IT mode.

I've sent you a PM.
Hey so that sbr file if it is from a stock lsi or ibm model will not have the 512byte sbr, atleast mine didn't. It is a direct lsi part number card with a d1 revision.

I still have not attempted to write a binary file with all zeros or modify an sbr file to be 512 bytes for the dell cards. Time has not been on my side, newish job responsibilities, family, holidays, and fatigue.
I would like to revisit this soon and hopefully pick someones brain more. Ive looked at some treads on editing the files as well as videos but nothing super in depth. from what ive read and seen, i may be out of my element due to some unknowns.
I would like to create an sbr that isnt just zeros but rather as close to stock lsi as possible or even dell if possible with allowing it to overwrite the entire sbr from the sas2208 (512) to a sas2308(512) so the card doesnt read the backup and will atleast be recognized in bios or system os.

I would greatly appreciate assistance from anyone familiar with these sbr files, and rewriting them. If someone were to have such a file and be willing to share then thank you. However im not asking for a handout. this is my problem and im working to find a solution to the best of my ability. Ive learned a little bit more about these cards in the last little bit and it has been a valued learning experience.
@BLinux Thank you for all the helpful tips and hints you have provided. BTW keep up the great work you do and Good Health!

Reactions: Sleyk

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
@Devinirv The SBR is from a retail boxed MegaRaid 9270-8i and is 512 bytes, as is the SBP.

If you want to create an empty 512 byte SBR, from Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=512byte.sbr bs=512 count=1

Past that, I'm not really sure what you're asking for. If you'd like a copy of the SBR I sent @BLinux, I'm more than happy to do that.

Kim Bjoern

Feb 26, 2020
Denmark
Hi all, thanks in advance for possibly helping me out.

Googling like a maniac; some say it's not possible, but I may have succeed bricking a 9266-8i.

Originally I tried to crossflash the controller to IT. It appears that's not possible with the 2208 c1 revision. OK.

I lost the SBR along the way, and now my final attempts is about restoring the original IR firmware. With no luck:

I'm rigged on a DELL R520 with DOS, EFI and Linux. I'm shooting with Megarec, sas2flsh, lsirec, lsiutil and the LSI recovery ISO.
I'm jumping on/off J6B2 in attempts to bypass SBR. I've tried w. 256k and 512k empty SBR's. Still no luck.

This is what I can do.

I can hostboot 9205-8e.bin in both lsirec and sas2flsh v.15, and apparently clear the flash. But I can't flash the original mr2208fw successfully.
I can (apparently) write (empty) SBR's with lsirec.

Any ideas much appreciated (and/or a copy of an original 9266-8i SBR).

/Kim Bjoern

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

Googling like a maniac; some say it's not possible, but I may have succeed bricking a 9266-8i.

Originally I tried to crossflash the controller to IT. It appears that's not possible with the 2208 c1 revision. OK.

I lost the SBR along the way, and now my final attempts is about restoring the original IR firmware. With no luck:

I'm rigged on a DELL R520 with DOS, EFI and Linux. I'm shooting with Megarec, sas2flsh, lsirec, lsiutil and the LSI recovery ISO.
I'm jumping on/off J6B2 in attempts to bypass SBR. I've tried w. 256k and 512k empty SBR's. Still no luck.

This is what I can do.

I can hostboot 9205-8e.bin in both lsirec and sas2flsh v.15, and apparently clear the flash. But I can't flash the original mr2208fw successfully.

/Kim Bjoern
you're going to need an original 9266-8i SBR to write back to the card

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com

This is what I can do.

/Kim Bjoern
I've never heard of the C1 revision, so that's interesting...

If you can hostboot 9205-8e successfully (IOC in Ready state after hostboot), then I suspect that's one of the chips that is like the B1 revision which is PCIe 2.0 only and uses 256B SBR. If you can hostboot successfully, then you should be able to flash the 9205-8e firmware... hostboot is like running the firmware from system memory, so if it runs ok like that, it should be able to run it from flash.

but ok, let's say you just want to go back to MegaRAID firmware (not IR by the way, different things)... you *should* be able to leave the SBR empty, write the *.rom file for the MegaRAID firmware to the flash using megarec -m0flash. there are different versions of the MegaRAID firmware... make sure you get the right one for your card... because it sounds like this "C1" revision is like the PCIe 2.0 chip... if you flash the D1 revision it will not work. during first boot, a lot of the LSI firmware will attempt to repair the SBR if they detect it is empty or not correct. So, hopefully, that will restore the SBR for you... but the initial boot time might take an extra minute to do the SBR restore. this *may or may not* work for you... i'm just saying from my experience, the LSI firmwares seem to do some auto-repair on start up of the SBRs and I've seen it done before, but I've never worked on the card you have specifically. BTW, this is also why the the procedure in this thread works after writing empty sbr, the IT firmware fixes the SBR after first boot (if you check the SBR after the first boot, it's not empty anymore).

Kim Bjoern

Feb 26, 2020
Denmark
I've never heard of the C1 revision, so that's interesting...

If you can hostboot 9205-8e successfully (IOC in Ready state after hostboot), then I suspect that's one of the chips that is like the B1 revision which is PCIe 2.0 only and uses 256B SBR. If you can hostboot successfully, then you should be able to flash the 9205-8e firmware... hostboot is like running the firmware from system memory, so if it runs ok like that, it should be able to run it from flash.

but ok, let's say you just want to go back to MegaRAID firmware (not IR by the way, different things)... you *should* be able to leave the SBR empty, write the *.rom file for the MegaRAID firmware to the flash using megarec -m0flash. there are different versions of the MegaRAID firmware... make sure you get the right one for your card... because it sounds like this "C1" revision is like the PCIe 2.0 chip... if you flash the D1 revision it will not work. during first boot, a lot of the LSI firmware will attempt to repair the SBR if they detect it is empty or not correct. So, hopefully, that will restore the SBR for you... but the initial boot time might take an extra minute to do the SBR restore. this *may or may not* work for you... i'm just saying from my experience, the LSI firmwares seem to do some auto-repair on start up of the SBRs and I've seen it done before, but I've never worked on the card you have specifically. BTW, this is also why the the procedure in this thread works after writing empty sbr, the IT firmware fixes the SBR after first boot (if you check the SBR after the first boot, it's not empty anymore).
Many thanks @BLinux - I tried again to crossflash the 9266-8i, it doesn't seem to "self-repair" the SBR on this card. Megarec.exe -cleanflash (twice ;-), and - writesbr BIGB0STK.sbr allowed me to lsirec hostboot w. 9205-8e - and complete flashes. But no succesfull reboot. I also tried lsirec hostboot with various other FW.ROM's - without luck.

I really liked your insights about flashing low-level with megarec -m0flash, and again tried with a number of FW.ROM's. Various 16MB LSI recovery ROM's and original and latest 8MB MR2208FW.rom

No self-repair of SBR.

Anyone with a copy of an original 9266-8i sbr? Possibly 9271-8i or IBM M5016 SBR's?

/Kim Bjoern

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
want try flash one IBM M5110 with 512MB cache to LSI MegaRAID 9270-8i (1G cache), not an "IT mode" flash, I still a little nerves about my M5110 only have 512MB cache , but 9270-8i have 1G cache ,anyone knows will this lead crossflash failed?

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
want try flash one IBM M5110 with 512MB cache to LSI MegaRAID 9270-8i (1G cache), not an "IT mode" flash, I still a little nerves about my M5110 only have 512MB cache , but 9270-8i have 1G cache ,anyone knows will this lead crossflash failed? thanks

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
want try flash one IBM M5110 with 512MB cache to LSI MegaRAID 9270-8i (1G cache), not an "IT mode" flash, I still a little nerves about my M5110 only have 512MB cache , but 9270-8i have 1G cache ,anyone knows will this lead crossflash failed? thanks
I don't think that'll work as the ram quantities are different. I also thought the SBR sizes were different too. I'm not an expert here, but I'm pretty sure you can't do what you're wanting.

@fohdeesha - am I mistaken here?

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
m5110 have 512m and 1g cache ,so Memory size isn’t problem , sbr size maybe a problem , will give it a try

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
Well, we'll find out. I've sent @Freebsd1976 the SBR and SBP files I have from a retail 9270-8i.
Will try in this weekend and report back .

1 first flash 512MB card (1G card in my nas ), if flash fail then stop , and convert it to 9207-8i HBA.

2 if card flash ok then see if it can run ok , if ok then we success

3 if run failed , will shutdown nas server , replace 512MB cache with 1GB cache ,see what happens

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
there is report back , flash 1G m5110 RAID CARD
1 backup sbr and spd ok , and use md5sum to check , 9270 and m5110 card spd is same,but sbr is different , so only need flash sbr file
2 write emptysbr 512 ok
3 cleanflash ok
4 reboot ok
5 writesbr ok
6 flash rom ok (but show a message "Flash signature error .trying to clear it")
7 write sasadd not ok (sas2flsh error, don't know howto use megaoem or megascu to setaddress,if anyone know howto do this ,plz tell me)
8 reboot
9 card is ok ,no error ,system boot ok ,disk ok
seems crossflash is ok ,firmware version indeed changed, but what strange are :
1 when I use CRTL-P enter webbios , it still say it is an ibm m5110 ServerRAID Card,
2 so I boot to dos ,use megarec -readsbr 0 new.sbr , and compare with lsi9270 and backuped m5110 sbr. found newsbr different with 9270 ,same as backed M5110

anyone can help with this? I will do crossflash again and see what happen .

edit:
redo crossflash success twice , both write empty sbr (use dd if=/dev/zero of=nullbin.sbr bs=512 count=1)
1 use 2208_16.rom (firmware version 23.16) and lsi9270.sbr
2 use lsi2208 (firmware version 23.23)and lsi9270.sbr
but both still show m5110 card, not lsi 9270-8i

edit2:
after multi cleanflash and writesbr , I used megacli -adpallinfo -a0 found my sas address still there ,why this happend?

Last edited: