LSI 2308 SAS Spindown WS2k19

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hutchinsane_

Nov 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten spindown working on SAS drives on pretty much any LSI adapter in IT mode? While I am able to spin down all my SATA drives, NONE of my sas drives spin down and they also don't report any supported features to the OS/applications querying them. I am wondering if this is a limitation of the LSI controllers or if it is simply a driver issue? I am also unsure if the drives spin down automatically, but at least I can spin the SATA ones down manually, the SAS ones I can only spin down using a program called HDD scanner, nothing else has worked so far.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Sleyk

hutchinsane_

Nov 13, 2019
Hello there and thanks for the warm welcome!

Well I did make some progress since I posted this (after literally days wasting away modding drive firmwares lol) turns out: for my Dell branded SAS drives, powermodes ARE available, they were just turned off! As for the IBM ones, seems like they blocked them completely!

And I do get you about the power consumption, but in this case I'd say it's one of the few edgecases where it actually makes sense as my parity drives don't need to be spinning 24/7, but only when I run snapraid So I wanted at least those drives to spin down, as well as the backup array! The main ones that will actually see some action will be left spinning 24/7, obviously :D

It wouldn't bother me so much if these SAS drives didn't LOOOOVE to suck so much power... hahaha

The way I got the DELL ones to spin down was by changing the powermode with seachest_powerwontrol, in case someone else is looking for it!

I honestly just wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me, I thought I was just to incompetent for it and was losing my mind, as it just didn't make any sense to me.

Also I do know that there should be a way to do it on Linux but.... I am one of those Windows freaks, to answer the OS question. :p