IPMI networking - too many ports used?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
In my DC rack, I have 6x SMicro SYS-2029BT-HNR (4 node 2U servers) & a few other SM servers.
These 6 servers alone will consume 48 ports of IPMI switching, which means I need at least 2 switches to take care of all my IPMI needs.

What is everyone else doing?
Is there a better way to "solve" this issue?

@Patrick

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I'm a little bit confused :D
6servers * 4ports/server = 24ports. why would it take up 48 or more ports?

Reactions: awedio

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Since all your IPMI connections should be on the same VLAN, get the cheapest switch (it doesn't have to be managed) with the number of ports you need and plug them into that. Then, plug that switch into a managed switch and configure the uplink port with the correct PVID, and allow untagged packets.

The "IPMI switch" could even have 100Mbps ports, as most IPMI isn't even 1Gbps. Newer ones that are that fast probably don't need the speed.

Reactions: awedio

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Since all your IPMI connections should be on the same VLAN, get the cheapest switch (it doesn't have to be managed) with the number of ports you need and plug them into that. Then, plug that switch into a managed switch and configure the uplink port with the correct PVID, and allow untagged packets.

The "IPMI switch" could even have 100Mbps ports, as most IPMI isn't even 1Gbps. Newer ones that are that fast probably don't need the speed.
You're right, speed isn't an issue.
I thought I might be able to reduce the quantity of ports consumed!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you really don't have space for another switch, you don't have to use the dedicated IPMI ports. You can share with the primary NIC and just set a different VLAN for it in the UEFI settings.

• Wow
Reactions: TonyArrr