Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
While some people have hacked into smaller form factor cases, your easiest bet is to go with a case that supports form factor SSI EEB. The phantek enthoo pro is one such case. Yes the evo 212 fans work, just installed a set last night, I found the noctua ones a little easier to deal with than the evos but that's only because the eve's support a greater variety of sockets out of the box, while the noctua model I got was just for 2011. Your other stuff should work, just not sure on using the pcie x16 slot for video card because of the long form factor, and memory slots being in the way? But maybe someone else can comment on that. Hope that helps, good luck with the build and post some pics when you are done.

There is some pics of a phantek install on page 59 of this thread. And I'll update with my build later (just put my phantek/sp2600/evo rig together last night)

Id look to doing some bios/frusdr updates before the os install, but otherwise yes!

Cheers
Thanks for your sharing! I have some questions about ehe Natex bundle (motherboard, cpu*2, memory). Does it mean I can use any full tower case with E-ATX support, and any cooler for socket 2011 like hyper 212 evo you mentioned(cost 20-30 each right?). What I also need are SATA HDD/SSD, PSU (I have one SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V V2.3), and an optional video card (I have one PNY GTX970)? And if I am lucky enough, it should be on right?

After it is on, all I need to do is to install a OS (windows server or linux) through USB driver as what people did on desktop/laptop?

I am new to such kind of server, and new to the forum. So forgive me if I asked some silly questions.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

groundzyy

Apr 23, 2016
While some people have hacked into smaller form factor cases, you're best bet is to go with a case that supports form factor SSI EEB. The phantek enthoo pro is one such case. Yes the evo 212 fans work, just installed a set last night, I found the noctua ones a little easier to deal with than the evos but that's only because the eve's support a greater variety of sockets out of the box, while the noctua model I got was just for 2011. Your other stuff should work, just not sure on using the pcie x16 slot for video card because of the long form factor, and memory slots being in the way? But maybe someone else can comment on that. Hope that helps, good luck with the build and post some pics when you are done.

There is some pics of a phantek install on page 59 of this thread. And I'll update with my build later (just put my phantek/sp2600/evo rig together last night)

Id look to doing some bios/frusdr updates before the os install, but otherwise yes!

Cheers
Thanks!

I will try a SSI EEB case if Natex can help me to change my order.

Last edited:

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
anyone know of any cheap and good usb 3.0 cards that have maybe 2 usb 3.0 ports plus a internal header for my case's usb 3.0 ports?

vBuild2BAU

Feb 27, 2016
Melbourne Australia
I need some help from people who purchased the Intel R2312GL4GS server and the Intel RMS25KB080 raid card. For the life of me I can't figure how to access the raid card's menu to create a raid drive. I can see the card in the mass storage area when I get into bios by pressing F2, but it's not listed during post. What am I doing wrong?
Try looking in the motherboard BIOS. Like under Devices or something.

Reactions: ibuyufo

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
Try looking in the motherboard BIOS. Like under Devices or something.

Thanks! I ended up finding it. I just had to disable silent mode and it took out the giant Intel picture. I was expecting the SAS raid to initialize much later but it seems that both the built in raid and the raid card both initialize at the very beginning of the boot process.

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
So I managed to get into the raid controller in the R2312GL4GS server and created a disk. I installed windows and then went ahead and updated the firmware using the EFI shell. After the the firmware update, the fans are spinning at 5000+ rpm whereas before they were spinning at around 2400 rpm. Was I supposed to reset the bios to default before doing the update? What did I do wrong and how can I correct the fan speed? I already went into the fan section of the bios and set the option to acoustic but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
For you guys who have gone the Intel route, how does Intel compare to Supermicro? Price not being a factor, which is better?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
For you guys who have gone the Intel route, how does Intel compare to Supermicro? Price not being a factor, which is better?

This is too broad a question. That's like asking "I saw you guys bought a car, how do you like cars? How does BMW compare to Kia?"

What are you doing with your system? Playing games? File Server? ProxMox/ESX/Virtual Host ? What are the limitations and use cases you are asking.

Quantify your question as to what your general usage is.

I've used both SM and Intel boards. Both Good.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
yes exactly what i was looking for thank you!
You hadn't mentioned what OS you were going to be using; however if using Linux, you may want to confirm that the USB 3.0 card is using the better supported NEC Renesas chipset.

I have these in each of my dual e2670 boxes; both use the NEC Renesas chipset and is wonderfully supported in Linux. Neither of these two cards have internal headers...:

Rosewill RC-508 USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports, Speed Up to 5.0 Gbps - Newegg.com
SYBA 2-Port USB 3.0 PCI-Express Card, x1, Revision 1.0; Renesas Chipset with Full & Low Profile Brackets Model SD-PEX20160 - Newegg.com

Reactions: svt3391

crazyea

Apr 25, 2016
Is it ok to test with the passive heatsinks quickly in open air? Would it get too hot?

Ah, I guess I'll try and see.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
This is too broad a question. That's like asking "I saw you guys bought a car, how do you like cars? How does BMW compare to Kia?"

What are you doing with your system? Playing games? File Server? ProxMox/ESX/Virtual Host ? What are the limitations and use cases you are asking.

Quantify your question as to what your general usage is.

I've used both SM and Intel boards. Both Good.
Sorry, I was referring to the ease of getting everything working properly, easy upgrades, compatibility, etc.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Is it ok to test with the passive heatsinks quickly in open air? Would it get too hot?

Ah, I guess I'll try and see.
It will work fine for testing. Make sure BIOS is set for closed loop control for cooling. I don't remember of the top of my head but something along the lines of DCLTT.

The system fan 2 will run higher RPM since the air is not directed properly

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: crazyea

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I purchased the Natex Combo deal with the intention of setting up a Promox/ESXi w/ FreeNAS all in one. I've just recently read that this may not be possible without a RAID card or HBA? I'm very new to all this so I'm not sure if that's actually true. If it is, can someone suggest a card?

crazyea

Apr 25, 2016
I purchased the Natex Combo deal with the intention of setting up a Promox/ESXi w/ FreeNAS all in one. I've just recently read that this may not be possible without a RAID card or HBA? I'm very new to all this so I'm not sure if that's actually true. If it is, can someone suggest a card?
Here is a couple I seeing mentioned.

IBM ServeRAID M1015
Dell Perc 310H