Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
crap just tried putting everything in the case and cant get this thing to startup fans spin a little and it don't start took the board out of the case and get the same thing

tried 2 different power supplies same thing happens any ideas guys?
this is an Intel S2600CP Motherboard btw

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
Try just one processor, and alternate the ram on that one, does it give any beep warnings or anything else to decipher by the manual?

appendix E post code diagnostic led decoder? page 201.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
no beeping 5v5b led solid green id led solid green 1 cpu only results in the same issue no boot

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
just tried the bios jumper no go dunno what the heck happened it all worked a few days ago

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
just tried the bios jumper no go dunno what the heck happened it all worked a few days ago
Any further luck with this?

did you try both/either processor in the number 1 slot?
What exactly happens when you power on, does it auto-shutoff, or just run but no screen?
are you on the matrox g200 onboard video or an aftermarket video card? (i'm sure you've tried both instances)
any chance the board could have shorted on something? a motherboard standoff/stud left in atx setup?
on page 115 there are some more jumper settings - does anything there help you?
how were you using, any chance of overheat in the case?

sorry to hear about this, would be pretty discouraging to get something all setup just to have it turn turtle on you, in any case - I guess natex have their 60day warranty - so there is always that.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
when i power on the fans on the cooler and power supply spin for maybe 2 seconds and stop I'm using the onboard video
i was setting this up in a
Phanteks Enthoo Pro which can hold the board it did the same thing in the case from the start so no chance of overheating
checked page 115 everything looks good

Reactions: AdditionalPylons

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Check your HSF's make absolutely sure they are making proper contact with the CPU's. What you're describing is exactly what happens when a HSF isn't installed properly. I had this same exact symptom last week when a clip broke off a HSF bracket allowing it to lose contact with the CPU. It only takes a couple of seconds for the system to go into thermal shutdown when this happens.

Klemmi

May 1, 2016
Hi, I've been lurking for the last few days.

I went ahead and ordered a 1U Intel R1304GZ4GS9 Server:
Intel R1304GZ4GS9 Server System 1U Rack,Socket R,DDR3 ECC New Bulk V2 Technology

I've also ordered the S2600GL4, which I plan on making a custom case for... I've been thinking about doing something with a IKEA Lack table on wheels:
IKEA | LACK hliðarborð á hjólum 55x55 cm svarbrúnt

My main question is, should I expect to have to find a low-profile memory for the 1U? And is there anything special that I should be looking at regarding the memory, are Intel boards picky regarding dimms or will almost any old DDR3 ECC Registered work? :)

Best regards,
Klemmi

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
Hi, I've been lurking for the last few days.

I went ahead and ordered a 1U Intel R1304GZ4GS9 Server:
Intel R1304GZ4GS9 Server System 1U Rack,Socket R,DDR3 ECC New Bulk V2 Technology

I've also ordered the S2600GL4, which I plan on making a custom case for... I've been thinking about doing something with a IKEA Lack table on wheels:
IKEA | LACK hliðarborð á hjólum 55x55 cm svarbrúnt

My main question is, should I expect to have to find a low-profile memory for the 1U? And is there anything special that I should be looking at regarding the memory, are Intel boards picky regarding dimms or will almost any old DDR3 ECC Registered work? :)

Best regards,
Klemmi
Whatever you do, don't update the firmware! I updated my r2312GL4GS and the fans are spinning at over 5K rpm. :( It was super quiet before I did the update.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
Whatever you do, don't update the firmware! I updated my r2312GL4GS and the fans are spinning at over 5K rpm. :( It was super quiet before I did the update.
Did you choose option 3 and run through the FRUSDR update? Did you also try doing a factory reset in the BIOS after the update?

Klemmi

May 1, 2016
Thanks for the heads up :eek:

Is there no setting in the BIOS, making the motherboard control them with regard to monitored thermal levels?

And it won't allow you to downgrade the firmware? :(

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
"Whatever you do, don't ... blah blah blah", really? Your sole, single experience boils down to a blanket assertion for everyone else?

Here's my blanket assertion; everyone should run through the BIOS, SDR, and FRU updates.

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
Did you choose option 3 and run through the FRUSDR update? Did you also try doing a factory reset in the BIOS after the update?
I did option 3 and also did a factory reset on the bios. I even used the jumper to do the reset and nothing worked to bring down the RPM on the fans. Flashing to the previous version of the firmware also did not work. I basically can't use it since it's so loud so I'm waiting for intel to figure out why it's having this issue.

One thing I noticed is if you go to the System management in bios and system information, the motherboard's part number and serial number is gone.

I was going to post a picture that i took from the bios screen but it errors out when I try to upload it.

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
"Whatever you do, don't ... blah blah blah", really? Your sole, single experience boils down to a blanket assertion for everyone else?

Here's my blanket assertion; everyone should run through the BIOS, SDR, and FRU updates.
You can feel free to try and flash the firmware but I think it's relevant that you should also weigh the risk from my own experience. Maybe I'm just unlucky that this has happened even though I followed the direction to the letter when I flashed the bios.

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
I know you have to be exactly right with FRUSDR, I was rushing through it with the Phantek build, and it (the case) had a fan header, that I had all the other fans plugged into except for the one of cpu1 - which was the signal for the fan header. I was stupid when filling out FRUSDR, and kept saying that sys 7 fan, and cpu fan 2 were in use (because technically they were plugged in the header) but not the motherboard - just a simple brain fart. but of course you get to the end of frusdr - and it ramps back up to full, because it detects a fan failure on the ports you say should be working. Maybe something like that causing you issues?

I should say, if you do make a f-up in FRUSDR it is easy to go back into it and re-enter the correct info - so not so critical to get right the first time haha, I think I went through it 3 times.

the motherboard serial info missing from bios - couldn't that also be from FRUSDR - as it asks you to fill out that info if I remember correctly - you could probably pop it back in there.

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
I don't remember FRUSDR asking anything about the fans. It just asked if I wanted to fill in the info for the chassis as well as info for the motherboard?

I guess I'll try to reflash it again and take my time filling in all the information.

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
Well my build was non-intel except for the s2600cp so maybe if you enter the right chassis FRUSDR should just do it's thing and bypass the non-oem fan questions... not really sure. Should be a way to get them to kick back down though, I take it you've read through this:

Updating FRUSDR for Intel® Server Boards and Systems

(not for the exact server board but similar enough experience)

I don't remember FRUSDR asking anything about the fans. It just asked if I wanted to fill in the info for the chassis as well as info for the motherboard?

I guess I'll try to reflash it again and take my time filling in all the information.

Last edited:

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
Well my build was non-intel except for the s2600cp so maybe if you enter the right chassis FRUSDR should just do it's thing and bypass the non-oem fan questions... not really sure. Should be a way to get them to kick back down though, I take it you've read through this:

Updating FRUSDR for Intel® Server Boards and Systems

(not for the exact server board but similar enough experience)
I tried to reflash the firmware and it was unsuccessful. in the FRU, I filled out the chassis part no., serial number, product part no, and serial number. It never asked about the motherboard and serial number. In the system info section those 2 pieces of information are missing. I suspect that may be the cause as it doesn't know which exact motherboard part number it is. When I troubleshooted with Intel, they insist that the missing information should be a non-issue. I'll try to push that idea to them again the next time I make contact and hopefully someone higher up the chain may know.