Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
WOW! Great price. I have not read the thread yet. I'm very new to STH but I feel like I'm sprinting.

Since you've responded so quickly, did that include shipping? I might have just enough time to cancel my previous order and place an offer on this case.
Negative on that $100 including shipping; you pay actual fedex freight which for me was $30. But if you order multiple things from them, even with Best Offers, you can request a combined invoice after your all done shopping, and they will combine shipping on things that make sense to do so.

Note that as the P4000 chassis is so large, they won't be able to box it with other things, so your stuck paying $30 to have it shipped, however if you get the proper S2600CP Airduct with unique cable kit, (2)passive heat sinks, and the IO shield, they will combine shipping those together. If you get the P4000 chassis with 16x2.5" HSBP drive cages, you can order ($40), an 8x3.5" drive cage to swapin too.

You'll also want to spend quality time deciphering P4000 chassis model codes, as they'll inform you if the chassis has 5x80mm redundant cooling fans, or the 2x120mm fixed cooling fans, what the PS configurations are (fixed 550watt, CRPS 750 watt's, etc), and what the drive configurations are (8x3.5" hotswap, 16x2.5" hotswap, fixed, etc)... You may not find the drive config, cooling config, and PS config that you want, so you may want to consider getting the chassis with the cooling and PS that you want, and swap in the HSBP drive cage that you need. Note, they will *not* do this for you; you'll have to also buy what you want to swap in and do it yourself, but at these prices, why the **** not?

Last edited:
Reactions: JC Connell

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
Thanks for all the great info. I ordered the combo kit from Natex with the Intel S2600cp, 2x E5-2670s and 128GB RAM.

I see what you mean about deciphering the model codes. This one seems to have dual hot swappable 750w power supplies, 2x120MM cooling fans and the 8x3.5'' hotswap bays. For my needs, the only additional thing I could think of needing would be some additional fans but I don't see any that are included with this case so I can purchase those later. However, I see this case is listed at $300 or best offer. Are they open to offers in the $100 range for an item like this?

I've searched about 10 pages back in the thread using ctrl+f and the keyword "kall" but it's a tedious process. I don't see another way to search specific threads here so I apologize if this question has been answered before.

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
Hi guys,
now what is a good deal for a motherboard to use with E5-2670 ?
An used 1u or 2u server could be good too...

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Oh boy. I put bumpers on my S2600CP2 mobo and reconnected everything, now I've noticed System Fan 1 (Delta fan) is stuck at 100% = 3500RPM. Was previously testing with a slower (1200RPM) generic 120mm 3-pin non-PWM fan when I was fixing the PSU issue (no speed control in this case). Also tried connecting the Nidec fan (sysfan2) to fan 1 header and it still outputs signal for 100% fan speed. Fan 2 header ramps down as expected.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks for all the great info. I ordered the combo kit from Natex with the Intel S2600cp, 2x E5-2670s and 128GB RAM.

I see what you mean about deciphering the model codes. This one seems to have dual hot swappable 750w power supplies, 2x120MM cooling fans and the 8x3.5'' hotswap bays. For my needs, the only additional thing I could think of needing would be some additional fans but I don't see any that are included with this case so I can purchase those later. However, I see this case is listed at $300 or best offer. Are they open to offers in the $100 range for an item like this?

I've searched about 10 pages back in the thread using ctrl+f and the keyword "kall" but it's a tedious process. I don't see another way to search specific threads here so I apologize if this question has been answered before.
That's the exact case I bought for $115. The 2 case fans are doing fine with keeping the CPUs and GPU+fiber NIC cool, just make sure to grab the other accessories I posted above if you end of buying it. Those should be all you need to get started with the case. I went with the 2 non-redundant fans over the 5 redundant fans because I was worried about noise. After boot up, I can barely hear the system over the ambient A/C noise

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Oh boy. I put bumpers on my S2600CP2 mobo and reconnected everything, now I've noticed System Fan 1 (Delta fan) is stuck at 100% = 3500RPM. Was previously testing with a slower (1200RPM) generic 120mm 3-pin non-PWM fan when I was fixing the PSU issue (no speed control in this case). Also tried connecting the Nidec fan (sysfan2) to fan 1 header and it still outputs signal for 100% fan speed. Fan 2 header ramps down as expected.
Did you re-run through the fru/sdr update again after mucking about with the fans? With both fans hooked up correctly (they should only be hooked up one way; they are color coded), run through the SDR update again.

To reiterate; if you make any hardware changes to the system concerning fans, PS's, or HSBP's, run through the SDR update again so that the proper sensors are loaded. If not, weird shit happens, as the BMC relies upon those sensors for proper cooling domain control.

Does it (the SDR update) properly detect your chassis fan config? If not, then something's wrong with how things are hooked up. Reseat the fan headers; making sure blue->blue, white->white...

Or perhaps you shocked something while handling the board. Did you maintain your ESD discipline?

As far as further help from us, what's in your SEL? Any errors asserted?

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
That's the exact case I bought for $115. The 2 case fans are doing fine with keeping the CPUs and GPU+fiber NIC cool, just make sure to grab the other accessories I posted above if you end of buying it. Those should be all you need to get started with the case. I went with the 2 non-redundant fans over the 5 redundant fans because I was worried about noise. After boot up, I can barely hear the system over the ambient A/C noise
I just submitted the offer for the case, IO shield and fan shroud. The passive coolers should be included with the order I placed at Natex. I sincerely appreciate your help. Now to contact Amazon...

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
I just submitted the offer for the case, IO shield and fan shroud. The passive coolers should be included with the order I placed at Natex. I sincerely appreciate your help. Now to contact Amazon...
No, do *not* use the heatsinks provided by natex.us. You want the proper P4000 4u passive heatsinks. They'll take $5ea for them. Just do it.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
You'll need the tall passive coolers I linked too, the natex ones aren't compatabile with the fan shroud (well, they'll be a gaping hole in the fan shroud where the tall coolers are supposed to fit, and I doubt they'll be nearly as effective)

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
Wow thanks again guys (jwegman & RyC)! I see the ones you ordered are no longer available RyC. Did you link to them somewhere else that I missed?

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Or perhaps you shocked something while handling the board. Did you maintain your ESD discipline?

As far as further help from us, what's in your SEL? Any errors asserted?
Pretty sure the PWM is pooched :( the screw near the 24-pin went flying when I was taking it out (fat screwdriver handle had me putting it on an angle) but I didn't think any of it as the PC was off and disconnected from ac. Tested it by configuring as OTHER chassis and manually selecting fan 2 and 3 and PWM worked fine for both fans.

Now I need to figure out how to change sensor mapping in the SDR to use sysfan3 for domain 0. I saw for fan_120_1 I can change sensor from 30 to 32. Now need to go through and modify all of the other sections. Off to dinner then if not too late back to SDR hacking.

Thanks for all of your help on this.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Both of my p4000 chassis came with them.

On the bottom of the board, there are little white circles; which is where you stickum per the quick start guide (step #3) :)

Quick Start Guide for Intel® Server Board S2600CP
They came in a little baggie with the chassis. Step 3 in this manual:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...ds/server/sb/g29357003_s2600cp_qsug_front.pdf

Okay, so I went back in my pile of unused parts from the build and found them. I guess I should have read the manual. Oh well... I'm not taking the system all apart to install them. I will set them aside and if I happen to take the system all apart at some point in the future I will install them.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Okay, so I went back in my pile of unused parts from the build and found them. I guess I should have read the manual. Oh well... I'm not taking the system all apart to install them. I will set them aside and if I happen to take the system all apart at some point in the future I will install them.
Understood. Frankly, I didn't use them when I initially had the S2600 in my first chassis, however I did install them when I pulled the board out to install the IO shield (which showed up days after everything else).

I did find that the board flexed an awful lot when installing RAM, seating various cables, and plugging in PCIe cards to concede that they are a good idea :) Plus those passive heatsinks are a bit heavy.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Now I need to figure out how to change sensor mapping in the SDR to use sysfan3 for domain 0. I saw for fan_120_1 I can change sensor from 30 to 32. Now need to go through and modify all of the other sections. Off to dinner then if not too late back to SDR hacking.
Here is my workaround to make SYS_FAN3 header to be System Fan 1 aka FAN_120_1 in a P4000M. Pretty much modify anything that is sensor 30 to be sensor 32. MASTER.CFG autodetect just looks for FAN3 instead of FAN1.

This SDR is for BIOS 2.06.0002 since I flashed up to that trying to fix the PWM. Later I'm going to try BIOS recovery to 1.06.0001 and do the same modification. Lines changed are tagged with **

Click Spoiler to show the changes.
MASTER.CFG
Change auto-detection to
Code:
                        //Detect 120mm tach fan
                        PROBE "FAN_SIGNAL" 02  // **
                        FOUND "FAN_P3" "" // **
                        PROBE "FAN_SIGNAL" 01
                        FOUND "FAN_P2" ""
                        IFSET "FAN_P1"
                        //Fan configuration is not valid.
                        ELSE
                            IFSET "FAN_P4"
                            ELSE
                                IFSET "FAN_P5"
                                ELSE
                                    IFSET "FAN_P3" "FAN_P2" // **
                                        DISPLAY ""
                                        DISPLAY "Intel(R) Server Chassis P4000M Non Redundant Fan SKU is detected"
                                        SET "P4000M_BASE"

S2600CP.SDR
Code:
_SDR_TYPE   01
_SDR_TAG    'FAN_120_1'
_REC_LEN    003C

// Sensor Record Header
   0021               // Record ID
   51                 // SDR Version
   01                 // Record Type
   37                 // Record Length

// Record Key Bytes
   20                 // Sensor Owner ID
   00                 // Sensor Owner LUN
   32                 // Sensor Number **
P4000M_BASE C0/0A record for fan sensor scaling SDR record
Code:
   740E               // Placeholder for System Fan 1(SN:0x30), Max RPM: 3700RPM == 740E (the order is LSB, MSB)
   B414               // Placeholder for System Fan 2(SN:0x31), Max RPM: 5300RPM == B414 (the order is LSB, MSB)  
   740E               // Placeholder for System Fan 1(SN:0x32), Max RPM: 3700RPM == 740E (the order is LSB, MSB **
   0001               // Null(SN:0x33)
   0001               // Null(SN:0x34)
FSC Record Type = 03h (Fan Sensor Domain Map Record)
for _SDR_TAG 'P4000M_BASE'
Code:
   // Domain Fan Configuration
   01             // [7:4]-Domain Number = 0; [3:0]-Count of sensor numbers = 1
   32             // Fan Sensor Number 3 (32h = System Fan 3) **
   11             // [7:4]-Domain Number = 1; [3:0]-Count of sensor numbers = 1
   31             // Fan Sensor Number 2 (31h = System Fan 2)
   22             // [7:4]-Domain Number = 1; [3:0]-Count of sensor numbers = 2
FAN FRU LED Mapping
Code:
   // LED mapping sub-records
   01             // LED Group = 1 (Fan Fault LED)
   02             // Number of mapping pairs = 2
   32             // 1st fan sensor number = 0x32 (was 0x30) **
   2C             // 1st fan fault LED GPIO number = 44
   31             // 2nd fan sensor number = 0x31
   2D             // 2nd fan fault LED GPIO number = 45

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
The listings for the passive coolers and the fan shroud for the P4000 case are no longer active and I was unable to purchase before they had closed. I asked kalleyomalley if they expected more stock and they said they were unsure and that it'd be at least 3 weeks. So what to do???

I type this next to two Cooler Master Hyper T4s, A Phanteks Enthoo Pro and a EVGA power supply. All in everything cost me about $200. I could return it for free.

Do I use what I have or pursue the P4000 route? Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
I'm not using the passive coolers or air shroud in my P4000 setup. I have 2 U9DX i4's and temps on everything is great.