Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Feb 8, 2016
It cinebench's at exactly 2000. one processor does run 10 degree's hotter than the other, but right now in vray one is at 45 - 55 range the other 55 - 64 deg range, so not bad.

I now have a Natex board on order, also with 64gb, that I will build into a phantek enthoo pro case, with dual hyper 212 evo's.

if anyone has any questions about this setup, I'll do my best!
cheers, and thanks for all the info in this forum (even though I found it too late!)
It looks great and enjoyed reading of your efforts to overcome the HP way. :)

Guessing you will enjoy this build/thread:
Dual E5-2670 build in the smallest case NZXT S340

noths

Dec 9, 2015
Athens, Greece
@Oakdown Thanks for sharing your build with HP820 and it looks great!
Here is an option for mounting HDD / SDD.

Kingwin KW-PCI2H25 2 Bay PCI-E HDD Frame For 2.5" IDE/SATA HDD/SSD

Amazon.com: Kingwin KW-PCI2H25 2 Bay PCI-E HDD Frame For 2.5" IDE/SATA HDD/SSD: Computers & Accessories

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I didn't know something like this existed, thanks for sharing.
Another option is HP 654540-001, you can also find it as Dell part etc.
@Oakdown Nice! Here is the adventure of someone else trying to fit a Z800 mobo into a standard case.

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
hey thanks 4004, that was an interesting read on the NZXT S340 too - would be nice to have smaller form factor - especially as I won't be using all the bays anyways. that old hindsight thing (;

thanks nthu9280 for the link to the adapter, I didn't realize those kind of pcie adapters were available - but makes sense! would keep it nice and tidy, but I think I'll probably end up going more with that part noths posted - as it allows it tuck into the SAS bay. which has it's own cooling fan etc.

I also wanted to mention that despite the way it looks with those noctua's the cover on the case does still fit (probably barely) and doesn't seem to affect the running temps much?/at all so far (in the renderings i've done). Overall the Case is very solid - I was very surprised at the weight of it when I first lifted it from the box.

I had a bit of a scare because the case didn't come with motherboard standoff's and features proprietary (again!) keyhole design - I wasn't sure if the motherboard would come with the stand off's either, so I was trying to imagine how I could make something work - but in the end the motherboard did come with metal standoff's already attached. Because of the size of the motherboard it is very tricky to get it down and seated, while keeping all the wires out of the way (that you can't remove - at least without dismantling the case more)- it wasn't an enjoyable task and I thought I might break it in the process - but in the end it went down and slid into position with the keyhole slots.

jdartnet

Apr 7, 2016
West New York, NJ
www.jdart.net
That's a great time for the BMW scene, is this the old one or the new one?

New Cycles Benchmark | Blender Code

The latest BMW file is here along with some other more complex scenes. It's clear that CPU is starting to outpace GPU for rendering, especially when you look at performance/cost. You can post your S2600CP times on there and take all the bragging rights!
New BWM scene!
I was pleasantly surprised, as well.

Reactions: Roy68

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
I built a dual e5-2670 sr0kx system out of z820 parts I acquired on ebay.

Hindsight being 20/20 and now knowing about natex I wouldn't have gone this route, but after reading the techspot article I was on the hunt for a motherboard on Ebay. Without thinking, or should I saw "knowing" - that HP was just proprietary bs, I bought the motherboard NIB, reading some more about my purchase it dawned on me I'd be endlessly hacking a power supply to make it work, but then I found a cheapish (they accepted my offer) z820 case w/ 850watt powersupply also sold on ebay, so it was becoming more realistic, at least without hacking things to work. The e5-2670's I got from a chinese seller on ebay, they were legit and work no problem - shipped in toilet paper, wrapped in bubble wrap though!

the z820 usually comes with a dual rad setup, which I replaced with noctua heatsinks and fans, the ram is 64gb 1866 samsung ddr3 ecc reg ram, but runs at 1600 obviously. Because i'm not using the large plastic cpu cooling shroud, with memory fans etc - I do get some errors on startup - basically it detects that those items aren't plugged in, which it thinks is critical. The shroud (which did come with the case) obviously won't fit over the noctua heatsinks, but there would be an easy way to hack that in so it thinks it's all legit. the fan connectors are different on hps proprietary bs but you just have to file down the one middle ridge on the connector.

Otherwise it works great, I haven't found a good location for the ssd yet, so it's "sitting" in the empty bay location, while a western digital black 1tb drive is through the SAS controller in the hdd bays. I don't know if HP makes a little ssd adapter for those bays, but the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter bracket I have the ssd doesn't align it right to slide into the preinstalled sata/pwr connection at the back of each bay.... the gfx card is just an old nvidia 250 gts, works perfect for straight up rendering jobs in 3ds max/vray, which is all this rig is for. It cinebench's at exactly 2000. one processor does run 10 degree's hotter than the other, but right now in vray one is at 45 - 55 range the other 55 - 64 deg range, so not bad.

I now have a Natex board on order, also with 64gb, that I will build into a phantek enthoo pro case, with dual hyper 212 evo's.

if anyone has any questions about this setup, I'll do my best!
cheers, and thanks for all the info in this forum (even though I found it too late!)
Hi I had the same issue and made the same mistake with my SSD in my HP Z600 which I Fleabay'd last week. Your caddys look the same as on the Z600, if so then this worked for me and allowed me to fit the SSD into one of the hot swap 3.5" caddys
Sabrent 2.5" SSD & SATA Hard Drive to Desktop 3.5" SATA Bay Converter Mounting

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Anybody with a S2600CP board and P4000 (non-hotswap fan model) Intel chassis having trouble with PSU fan speeds going 100%?

My chassis fans were going 100% regardless of BIOS acoustic setting. I didn't think to clear CMOS settings, so I updated to 1.06.0001 (last one with blanket PCI-E 3.0 support according to another thread about NVME devices). No help, then finally remembered to clear CMOS.

Chassis fans now spin down, but now one of the two 750W PSU I have blows at 100% while the other seems to run slower (less airflow).

I might try updating to latest BIOS tomorrow when I get time, but I do want to keep PCI-E 3 for everything if I decide to stick a GPU in here.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I didn't have that issue, but I have a single swappable 750W in my chassis (the 2nd is empty). Did you connect the power supply to the smbus on the motherboard?

Are you talking about having 5 80mm fans and not 2 120mm fans with your comment?

Last edited:

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
I didn't have that issue, but I have a single swappable 750W in my chassis (the 2nd is empty). Did you connect the power supply to the smbus on the motherboard?

Are you talking about having 5 80mm fans and not 2 120mm fans with your comment?
I have a "GC" dual 750W redundant PSU Chassis with 2x 120mm non-redundant/hotswappable fans hooked up to SYS1 and 2 so that FRUSDR detects that it is "Intel(R) Server Chassis P4000M Non Redundant Fan SKU".

If I don't connect PSU SMBUS cable to the mobo then the 2x chassis fans spin to 100% while the PSU fan throttles down. When it's plugged in the chassis fans spin down but the PSU fan spins up. Only one PSU fan goes 100%, the other I guess 'hot' unused PSU doesn't blow crazy air.

Looking in the MASTER.CFG, perhaps I should try setting it to "SHIP" so it clears out the PSU settings and test from there and then deal with the fan speeds in the "OTHER" chassis.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I have the same case and board and I don't have this issue at all. Could it be defective?

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
It's possible BMC is defective.

I ran FRUSDR with "OTHER" chassis profile (edited the MASTER.CFG to use 'SHIP' setting) and the PSU fan speeds are normal (quiet) since they are now self controlled. I also lose PSU and HDD HotSwap carrier status in the BMC since it no longer knows it's a P4000M chassis.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
It's possible BMC is defective.

I ran FRUSDR with "OTHER" chassis profile (edited the MASTER.CFG to use 'SHIP' setting) and the PSU fan speeds are normal (quiet) since they are now self controlled. I also lose PSU and HDD HotSwap carrier status in the BMC since it no longer knows it's a P4000M chassis.
When you installed the S2600CP board, did you stick on the little rubber bumpers (supplied with the P4000 chassis) to support the board? Without them, the board may flex and could be causing issues.

I presume you know that you need the case top/side cover on so that the chassis intrusion detection switch isn't asserted? Otherwise the BMC will drive the fans at 100%.

I presume that upon flashing the BIOS update, that you reset the BIOS settings to defaults?

When flashing the FRU/SDR update, did it correctly detect your dual 750 CRPS? The PMBUS needs to be connected for that to function.

Have you verified that the PWM offset is 0?

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
When you installed the S2600CP board, did you stick on the little rubber bumpers (supplied with the P4000 chassis) to support the board? Without them, the board may flex and could be causing issues.

I presume you know that you need the case top/side cover on so that the chassis intrusion detection switch isn't asserted? Otherwise the BMC will drive the fans at 100%.

I presume that upon flashing the BIOS update, that you reset the BIOS settings to defaults?

When flashing the FRU/SDR update, did it correctly detect your dual 750 CRPS? The PMBUS needs to be connected for that to function.

Have you verified that the PWM offset is 0?
Thank you for the checklist! Out of your list, I missed the little rubber bumpers as neglected to refer to S2600CP install manual. To be safe, I'm going to disassemble and reassemble with those added.

Finally figured out that I had to use SYSCFG to reset BMC settings and now my PSU fans behave normally. What a relief!
SYSCFG.EFI /rfs
SYSCFG.EFI /rbmc

I used the UEFI package found here: Download S2600 BIOS and Firmware Update, Configuration Utilities for Windows*/Linux*/WinPE/UEFI

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
What little rubber bumpers? Where are they supposed to go? :confused:

Obviously I didn't use them... I'm not having any issues at present.

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I wanted to be fair and update on my experience with buying this case from the eBay seller kalleyomalley. They ended up calling me and we talked for a bit about the issue I was having with the PSU/control board. After explaining it all they understood why I thought the issue was the power control module rather than the motherboard and they shipped me a new power control board immediately to replace the failed one. The board arrive early this morning via fedex and I installed it. The new part solved my issue.

My point of this is for anyone still interested in building a setup using these Intel cases if for some reason you have an issue with the parts, call them after opening a message through eBay. Their phone number is listed on their page and they were very helpful over the phone to help resolve my issue vs having me cross-ship the heavy case. The process took a while but they made it right.
Would you mind sharing the price you paid for the case? I see they accept offers but it does not list what the accepted offers were. I'd like to get an idea of what they may accept.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Would you mind sharing the price you paid for the case? I see they accept offers but it does not list what the accepted offers were. I'd like to get an idea of what they may accept.

$100

If you haven't done so already; you could consider reading more of this thread (it's been mentioned here various times). I'd think of it as a treasure hunt...

Reactions: JC Connell

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
$100

If you haven't done so already; you could consider reading more of this thread (it's been mentioned here various times). I'd think of it as a treasure hunt...

WOW! Great price. I have not read the thread yet. I'm very new to STH but I feel like I'm sprinting.

Since you've responded so quickly, did that include shipping? I might have just enough time to cancel my previous order and place an offer on this case.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
WOW! Great price. I have not read the thread yet. I'm very new to STH but I feel like I'm sprinting.

Since you've responded so quickly, did that include shipping? I might have just enough time to cancel my previous order and place an offer on this case.
I ordered several times from kalleyomalley, and shipping was not included, but they did combine shipping: Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Reactions: JC Connell