Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I have to say that I'm very impressed at his much Intel has managed to lock down these CPUs! I hadn't quite realized just how much and since they were so cheap I figured that I'd buy another and run it in an X79 SP system and at least get a little boost over stock...

So far from what I can tell I'm getting exactly...nothing.

Per-core turbo limits are in full effect, as is the TDP limit (AFAIK, it's not getting hot enough to throttle). mprime running 16 threads with an AVX FFT pegs all the cores at base 2.6GHz. Running the older core2 FFT will get them up to the `7-8 core' turbo limit of 3.0GHz. It really does seem that server boards are the way to go, since it doesn't seem like there's much you can do other than stock with these.
I noticed that too on a Tyan motherboard I had briefly, I was able to squeeze 3000 mhz per core after adjusting some BIOS settings but wasn't seeing the full turbo per core. Them turbo ratio limits, doe, :/

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I have to say that I'm very impressed at his much Intel has managed to lock down these CPUs! I hadn't quite realized just how much and since they were so cheap I figured that I'd buy another and run it in an X79 SP system and at least get a little boost over stock...

Per-core turbo limits are in full effect, as is the TDP limit (AFAIK, it's not getting hot enough to throttle). mprime running 16 threads with an AVX FFT pegs all the cores at base 2.6GHz. Running the older core2 FFT will get them up to the `7-8 core' turbo limit of 3.0GHz. It really does seem that server boards are the way to go, since it doesn't seem like there's much you can do other than stock with these.
I've seen that too. Small FFT mprime95 only boosted to 2.6 or so it was sad

May 8, 2015
I love that nearly all of their feedback is from selling single E5-2670's, but their second feedback was for this:

Rare Hello kitty Solar Power Toilet Seat Collectable (#252067402185)

4 sold and...

This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.
What do you think my chances are on them making good on the lot I purchased?

ItsChrisG

Feb 3, 2015
I called that seller just a few minutes ago - listing error due to ebay issue with a quick post feature, I was thinking either exactly that or someone was sick and tired of the insane crashing market on these and just wanted to get rid of them, but before I went and bought all 28 remaining lots and wouldve been able to literally take showers in E5 CPUs, thought I should speak to someone first - lol

May 8, 2015
Just got an email stating that "The listing is a little bit confusing and that the price was for one CPU not 25" and that he would go ahead and cancel the order for me if I like.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Does anyone have one of these, and can tell me they suck so I dont buy one? lol I have a C6100 I would need to move afterwards, but with these cpus dropping hardcore, this looks more and more like a better idea.
Darn you for posting that ... :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Does anyone have one of these, and can tell me they suck so I dont buy one? lol I have a C6100 I would need to move afterwards, but with these cpus dropping hardcore, this looks more and more like a better idea.
They don't suck, other than electrical juice with all 4 nodes on ;)

I think I might have 1 or 2 of those (or very similar) I'm going to list soon, so if you're local to California could pickup.

I do have 2, 8 Node, 1P that I will be listing too... with the E5-2630L they're much much more easy on the power bill, haha.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013

I think I might have 1 or 2 of those (or very similar) I'm going to list soon, so if you're local to California could pickup.

I do have 2, 8 Node, 1P that I will be listing too... with the E5-2630L they're much much more easy on the power bill, haha.
Trying to think of a good reason to justify putting one in my garage ... lol

hsben

Sep 10, 2014

Unfortunately I don't ha. And I'll have it collocated so the insane power shouldn't be an issue

Reactions: T_Minus

snclawson

Feb 7, 2013

Actually, it appears that my evga X79 Dark motherboard is giving me _worse_ performance than the Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD! If I run 16 AVX mprime threads on the evga board it quickly jumps down to just slightly over base (2667GHz). On the Supermicro, it'll hold 3GHz for a while until the temperatures get into the 70's at which point it starts to throttle down (hopefully my SNK-P0050AP4 gets delivered today so I can swap it out for this 2U heatsink and try again!). But even then it generally keeps at or above 2.7GHz.

snclawson

Feb 7, 2013
The CPU should not be throttling based on temp @ 70
It was closer to 78C when the multiplier was dropping and ARK shows TCase of 80c so that's what I was assuming. But now that you mention it, i7z wasn't showing anything about throttling (like it definitely did when I ran the board without airflow through the passive coolers!). So it's got to be the long term TDP limit hitting? Turbostat under Linux shows the running package TDP, I'll have to check that.

I did notice that the evga board seems to want to really juice the 2670 with 1.2v or so, but the SM board was running the cpu at around 1.07v under heavy load. I'll have to play with the voltage and see if that gets me more headroom.

[edit]

Well, it certainly does seem to be short-term power limit related. The SuperMicro board will happily let the chip hit 130W before dropping down to 115W, but the best I've gotten with the Dark is ~117W before it quickly goes back down to 115W (if I leave the TDP limits on `Auto' then it actually maxes out at closer to 105W!). I can't help but find it ironic that the board that's supposedly `made for overclocking' isn't even running the chip at stock (granted, I'm sure that all of the testing was done with retail 2011 chips, especially the unlocked versions and getting them to work well, so probably nobody ever ran into this issue...)

Last edited:

einstein

Jan 30, 2016
Mine arrived and it's working fine, but my X79 motherboard has 2 ram slots damaged, so it's working on dual channel mode. :(

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Deep Discount Servers have sold 968 to date. SROKX model, current price $69

I wonder how many they have in stock.

Can anyone suggest these are the preferred model and seller to go for?
I'm not that familiar with this model CPUs

Many thanks

williedee

Jan 25, 2016
Deep Discount Servers have sold 968 to date. SROKX model, current price $69

I wonder how many they have in stock.
Just ordered one at $68.99. Now I just need to find a motherboard at a reasonable price. Newegg seems to have some open box supermicro's reasonably cheap, I wonder how those are. I've never been burned on openbox before....