Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
You are right ... I have a rack in the garage, but my AIO is going in my media closet because that is where the coax terminates (NextPVR). I bought this heatsink with the idea that I might want to use it in a racked server instead. I don't currently have an LGA2011 racked server, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I have no desire to listen to the whine of the cooler over whatever I'm watching, or as I'm hanging out with the kids (media room doubles as their playroom).

I'm going to order one of these ... is SNK-P0050AP4 the unit you are using?
I just installed the SNK-P0050AP4 on my X9SRL-F, and as @T_Minus says, it is VERY quiet.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Seller offered $50 off or free return shipping. Would you try for the repair or just send it back and be done with it?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Seller offered $50 off or free return shipping. Would you try for the repair or just send it back and be done with it?
A melted fan header isn't just something to be taken lightly, would definitely not accept a credit.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Seems like esiso has pulled the ebay listings for E5-2670. They still have them on their own website though: eSISO - INTEL E5-2670

Still several others sell them on ebay. One Hong Kong dealer has a good price.
Should be okay to buy? I'm just still twisting my head over this as I still need a board (X9DRL-IF seems to be a good fit) and ram.
Are you guys wary of purchasing used ram?
I almost pulled the trigger on a new X11SSH+Xeon E3-1230v5 build which is almost 1100 EUR with all new parts and 32GB ram.
But this E5-2670 business should give me much more for my money.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
All of my ram was purchased used. I've only gotten one bad stick and the seller replaced it promptly.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
Seems like esiso has pulled the ebay listings for E5-2670. They still have them on their own website though: eSISO - INTEL E5-2670

Still several others sell them on ebay. One Hong Kong dealer has a good price.
Should be okay to buy? I'm just still twisting my head over this as I still need a board (X9DRL-IF seems to be a good fit) and ram.
Are you guys wary of purchasing used ram?
I almost pulled the trigger on a new X11SSH+Xeon E3-1230v5 build which is almost 1100 EUR with all new parts and 32GB ram.
But this E5-2670 business should give me much more for my money.
deepdiscountservers still have the E5-2670 listed.

And looking at board prices, I actually found it to be a little cheaper buying new versus eBay. Once you factor in shipping, new, with warranty is almost the same if not a little less than eBay.

I have quite a few of the X9 series... X9SCM, X9SRI, X9DR3/D. For example, I would not pay more than 100US for a X9SCM-F new. I bought mine new from Newegg during a sale for that price, and that was back in 2012.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I might be selling an X9DRI-F when it comes back from repair.

Not sure how buying new is as cheap as used. New dual boards are 400+.

SM is pretty impressive. 3 year labor warranty? Pick up the phone and you get support. Not bad!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
deepdiscountservers still have the E5-2670 listed.

And looking at board prices, I actually found it to be a little cheaper buying new versus eBay. Once you factor in shipping, new, with warranty is almost the same if not a little less than eBay.

I have quite a few of the X9 series... X9SCM, X9SRI, X9DR3/D. For example, I would not pay more than 100US for a X9SCM-F new. I bought mine new from Newegg during a sale for that price, and that was back in 2012.
The X9SCM is for LGA 1155 not 2011-r1/2

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I might be selling an X9DRI-F when it comes back From repair.

Exactly.

You guys waited years/months (technically) for a 2011-r1 deal but are complaining boards are expensive... you're going to need to wait for a deal if you want to build a system for cheap cheap.

Boards are only expensive currently due to the huge influx of people wanting/needing them after buying the 2670's for dirt cheap.

Reactions: pgh5278

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Where are you guys seeing listings for used boards? All I see are new. Also RAM compatibility? Seems as long as I get some Reg ECC 1600Mhz variety they should all work? It is just that Supermicro doesn't bother testing much ram themselves so only lists a few kits on their site.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
I might be selling an X9DRI-F when it comes back from repair.

SM is pretty impressive. 3 year labor warranty? Pick up the phone and you get support. Not bad!
Here is a example of where Newegg "new" is cheaper than eBay "new" in the US...

※※※NEW※※※ SuperMicro X9DR3-F Motherboard ***FULL MFR WARRANTY***

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DR3-LN4F+-O Server Motherboard - Newegg.com

And the return process with Newegg is easier than with some sellers... The eBay deal is the cheapest I could find this morning inc. shipping.

In Canada, it's even worse to look at eBay for these kinds of boards. With shipping some of the DR3's are over 700$ CDN, where it's closer to 600$ CDN shipped from NCIX or Newegg.ca.

As T_Minus says, you just have to wait if you want a good deal on eBay for this stuff.