Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Something tells me it wouldn't, the X9 only has 9 expansion slots and is limited in space from the point of the 9th slot and on. You'd need to get a measurement of the mobo tray to verify.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The motherboard needs an XL-ATX case or an SSI EEB?

That supermicro server case is $1k, that's insane for a case, but the dual 1600W power supplies mean this is a power hungry board.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
The motherboard needs an XL-ATX case or an SSI EEB?

That supermicro server case is $1k, that's insane for a case, but the dual 1600W power supplies mean this is a power hungry board.
The board isn't power hungry... The 4 tesla, xeon phi, titan x's that it is designed to support are :)

A couple of 16 core v3's and 4 xeon phis will have you wanting to upgrade to the redundant 2 kilowatt option :)

I will be using 2 power supplies per compute node for the foreseeable future. The 747TQ fits in a 4u rack, and is very well made but I could buy 2 - 1 kilowatt at plus and 8 - 2670's instead.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I went out to my garage and grabbed a saw and some plywood.... My "rack" is going to be shelving and simple open wood boxes with fans on the front.

I have been buying the server version of the phis and will be water cooling shortly... First boot of Unix was this morning.

The lian li d8000 or one of their less expensive cases would look fine if you want pretty. Myself... I will be trying to decide between paint or stain :)

I should probably start a diy build log and stop cluttering up other people's threads with my craziness

superempie

Sep 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks to this thread I first bought 4 for around $168 each, and yesterday bought 4 from esiso for $99 each. Great deal even with import taxes and shipping to The Netherlands, Europe.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
My X9SRL-F arrived busted - it will not complete POST when the second memory bank is populated. Frak. Requested a return/cross ship from seller. Also, the SNK-P0048AP4 is obnoxiously loud. This AIO build is going into the wiring closet, which happens to be located off of my media room. I can hear the fan in the next room with the door closed.

No. :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ugggh, you shittin me on those heatsinks...do I need to swap active 2U SNK-P0048AP4 heatsink for passive SNK-P0048PS heatsinks?

Was the mobo NIB, scary to hear everyone's gear ariving beat-up/busted/defective?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
No offense to anyone since all our hearing preferences are different but there's really no such thing as a quiet 2U HSF. Most all have a different pitch/wine sound too... maybe try an Intel unit, or Dynatron and they may be better pitched/hiss/wine for your environment. I personally don't have any issues with my Dynatron 2U HSF or my SuperMicro units, the Intel units on the other hand I didn't like due to the single ILM and wine.

The 4U HSF is literally silent though, one in my desktop/workstation 1' away with side panel off even gaming no sound issues at all.

Now, what REALLY BUGS ME is the damn Synology case rattle and the Silverstone case rattle that both my NAS systems are in right now... when they both get going and are both running at once (rare) it's like stereo metal jitter that drives me up the wall!!

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
No offense to anyone since all our hearing preferences are different but there's really no such thing as a quiet 2U HSF. Most all have a different pitch/wine sound too... maybe try an Intel unit, or Dynatron and they may be better pitched/hiss/wine for your environment. I personally don't have any issues with my Dynatron 2U HSF or my SuperMicro units, the Intel units on the other hand I didn't like due to the single ILM and wine.
You are right ... I have a rack in the garage, but my AIO is going in my media closet because that is where the coax terminates (NextPVR). I bought this heatsink with the idea that I might want to use it in a racked server instead. I don't currently have an LGA2011 racked server, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I have no desire to listen to the whine of the cooler over whatever I'm watching, or as I'm hanging out with the kids (media room doubles as their playroom).

The 4U HSF is literally silent though, one in my desktop/workstation 1' away with side panel off even gaming no sound issues at all.
I'm going to order one of these ... is SNK-P0050AP4 the unit you are using?

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
The X9SRL uses a narrow ILM, so that narrows the field a little. The Intel STS200C is a 2U unit (and a good balance between cooling efficiency and noise) but is square ILM only.

The SNK-P0050AP4 is excellent as long as you have a 4U chassis / tower. It has brackets for both narrow and square ILM and is my favorite 2011 cooler.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You are right ... I have a rack in the garage, but my AIO is going in my media closet because that is where the coax terminates (NextPVR). I bought this heatsink with the idea that I might want to use it in a racked server instead. I don't currently have an LGA2011 racked server, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I have no desire to listen to the whine of the cooler over whatever I'm watching, or as I'm hanging out with the kids (media room doubles as their playroom).

I'm going to order one of these ... is SNK-P0050AP4 the unit you are using?
Yep! My fav. 2011 HSF :)

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Just a heads up. My 2670 arrived today, Popped it into a Generation 1 HP-Z420 (Not officially on the supported list)

This workstation also unofficially supports Registered memory. I went from 32GB Unbuffered ECC to 64GB Registered ECC, only downside is it takes longer to boot with it, but passed all memtests.

Can be found loaded with a E5-1620 on ebay for roughly $299. Sometimes lower.

Reactions: talsit