Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
@JimPhreak i was thinking to use the Ncase M1 for my Xeon-D build and just having the 120mm fan on the side of the case blow directly onto the motherboard.
Ideal would have been a case like a 1u server that has all blow through cooling but none to be found that done have holes in all the side panels rendering the blow through cooling mostly useless.
One option I can exercise prior to purchase is simply to go with the active cooled version but I think the passive is better.
I'm very interested to see what your temperature results are in the M1.

I'm on the hunt for a 1U case myself for whatever D-1541 case I settle on. Problem is finding one that will cool well enough that doesn't sound like a jet taking off.

Last edited:

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I can't recall seeing any video transcoding benchmarks on the recent reviews. Given the use case of these (Plex etc) it would be really handy to include a few? I'm thinking about the following use cases:

1. A multithread test by transcoding something like a GoPro video to a lower bitrate x264
2. A singlethread test transcoding the audio track (with the video stream being a straight copy between versions)
3. A load test showing how much load is generated by a single HD Plex stream.

For the first two I'd 'be happy' with either HandBrake, avconv or vanilla ffmpeg. I haven't used Plex, so I don't know how difficult it would be to generate the third...

Regarding the discussion on GPU video acceleration, I've only ever gotten a boost in the past using NVidia solutions such as DGDecNV, but lately I've just stuck to plain avconv to fiddle with my video content (converting edited GoPro clips to various web-friendly bitrates/formats).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I'm very interested to see what your temperature results are in the M1.

I'm on the hunt for a 1U case myself for whatever D-1541 case I settle on. Problem is finding one that will cool well enough that doesn't sound like a jet taking off.
I think it should work ok since would have decent airflow directly at the board...
Case can't be delivered until May !

Yet to order the board as I was sort of hoping somebody will have tried a cooling setup like I want to run (in case I would need to order the active cooled version), I would not have the case so I can take a little time and pick up the board on my next trip to the US and save some $$ (hopefully with some 2tb ssd's at the same time)

1u case won't work for me at all... Too big and I don't have a rack to use anyway. Not sure how you can really cool in one without a lot of airflow through the restricted space causing lots of noise..

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I think it should work ok since would have decent airflow directly at the board...
Case can't be delivered until May !

Yet to order the board as I was sort of hoping somebody will have tried a cooling setup like I want to run (in case I would need to order the active cooled version), I would not have the case so I can take a little time and pick up the board on my next trip to the US and save some $$ (hopefully with some 2tb ssd's at the same time)

1u case won't work for me at all... Too big and I don't have a rack to use anyway. Not sure how you can really cool in one without a lot of airflow through the restricted space causing lots of noise..
Yea I was lucky that when I got interested in the M1 in Januray that the next ship date was 3 weeks away.

As for my case, I'm looking at 2U and 3U options as well. Just hard to find ones that focus on CPU cooling because most have lots of bays for HDDs which I don't need (this will be a VM host).

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
You can get a small cube case with a big slow fan, or a 1U with a small high rpm (loud) fan. There aren't many solutions for moving a lot of air in 1U silently. That's why racks aren't placed where people are. :)

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
Any chance you could run it with some load and just a larger case fan pointing at the board and see what the temps are ?
Yes it works. I oriented a 80mm fan to the MB
The MB needs a minimum airflow. Hot elements: CPU heatsink, 10GB Heatsink and power heatsink.

Patrick> I can't obtain the same power consumption that in your test, specially at idle:
My test configuration:
- MB: X10SDV-4C-TLN4F + 1 CPU 60mm fan (1W)
- RAM: 16 GB (2x 8GB Kingston KVR21R15S4-8HA)
- one SATA SSD (Intel X25-V 40 GB) (1~2W)
- one active network (1 GB)
- and an old 250W power supply without any 80+ certification (230V)

Values displayed on my APC UPS:
Power off (BMC active): 10W
Idle in Debian 8.3 "Jessie" with kernel 4.3: 41W
Unixbench single thread: 50W
Unixbench multi thread: 59W

I think that my idle power consumption is too high. For the moment, i have not other power supply to test.
Have you enabled/modified some options in the bios ? Disabled 10GB lan ?

thanks

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
As far as I know @Patrick has all interfaces connected but idle during power testing ?
But he certainly made no mention of disabling 10g.

I did read somewhere that somebody disabled the 10g in bios and saves 3.5w in idle usage, so if your not using it maybe disabling is worth doing.

Thanks for the info about using the fan.
Looking at the 1u prebuilt supermicro cases they only have 1 fan filling air from behind the CPU so does seem it just needs some airflow but not a huge amount. A single large fan straigh at the board hopefully will cool everything as I expect.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yes it works. I oriented a 80mm fan to the MB
The MB needs a minimum airflow. Hot elements: CPU heatsink, 10GB Heatsink and power heatsink.

Patrick> I can't obtain the same power consumption that in your test, specially at idle:
My test configuration:
- MB: X10SDV-4C-TLN4F + 1 CPU 60mm fan (1W)
- RAM: 16 GB (2x 8GB Kingston KVR21R15S4-8HA)
- one SATA SSD (Intel X25-V 40 GB) (1~2W)
- one active network (1 GB)
- and an old 250W power supply without any 80+ certification (230V)

Values displayed on my APC UPS:
Power off (BMC active): 10W
Idle in Debian 8.3 "Jessie" with kernel 4.3: 41W
Unixbench single thread: 50W
Unixbench multi thread: 59W

I think that my idle power consumption is too high. For the moment, i have not other power supply to test.
Have you enabled/modified some options in the bios ? Disabled 10GB lan ?

thanks
Your power off BMC active looks high to me (by a lot), perhaps the PSU?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Your power off BMC active looks high to me (by a lot), perhaps the PSU?
He was only using 250w so even a non rated one should not be that bad but when you tested with a picopsu it was bmc only at ~4w so it does look like a psu problem.

There is almost no info on good low wattage psu available and the lowest titanium 80+ rated I think is 450w !
Picopsu is a bit of a mixed bag but the brick you just look for a class 'V' efficient one.

I liked the look of the HDPlex psu but don't know if it's really any better than the picopsu (looks better, but no idea about tested better)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick when you next test some SM boards would you mind checking the delta with 10g ports disabled.

I found the reference to 3.5w
The Intel Xeon D Review: Performance Per Watt Server SoC Champion?

I would assume the SFP+ versions it's less since fiber needs less power.
I will try to remember next time but what you are seeing seems too high.

BTW you made me look at: The Intel Xeon D Review: Performance Per Watt Server SoC Champion? and I have been scripting a similar compile.

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
I tried with my computer PSU (Seasonic G-450 80+Gold 450W). It's a little better. New measures:
Power off (BMC active): 7W
Idle in Debian 8.3 "Jessie" with kernel 4.3: 33W
Unixbench single thread: 43W
Unixbench multi thread: 54W

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is getting closer. Probably still an impact of running a big PSU on a low power system.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Does anyone have any contact with Gigabyte to find out an updated ETA for release (a few weeks ago they claimed end of this month) on the MB10-DS3 or an estimated cost? I've been sending my rep emails and they at this point just ignore me. Unfortunately its the only mini-itx board I have found that has SFP+ so I may not have many options other than them - unless I forgot about another board?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Does anyone have any contact with Gigabyte to find out an updated ETA for release (a few weeks ago they claimed end of this month) on the MB10-DS3 or an estimated cost? I've been sending my rep emails and they at this point just ignore me. Unfortunately its the only mini-itx board I have found that has SFP+ so I may not have many options other than them - unless I forgot about another board?
I am not sure about your rep but I have been under the impression of mid-March.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
40mm fan is I assume not so quiet.... But it otherwise should be a good option.
And it's meant for a 1u server not a desktop case.