Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
As far as I know there is only ASRock, gigabyte, supermicro options...
Was about to say no Tyan etc but just checking the have 4 but this one may be interesting..

TYAN - Motherboards_S5539_S5539GM4NR-D41-2T(BTO)
Has an OCP slot for SAS / network options..
First off I must say, cudos to Tyan for using such high quality photos of their boards. MAN do I wish SuperMicro would take a cue from them and do that, it's so badly needed.

Secondly, I'm not familiar with OCP slots. What add-on cards specifically can be used with them?

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
Secondly, I'm not familiar with OCP slots. What add-on cards specifically can be used with them?
The OCP slot is designed to handle the Open Compute Project mezzanine cards such as the Intel X520DA2OCP.

Specifications are available here.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
The OCP slot is designed to handle the Open Compute Project mezzanine cards such as the Intel X520DA2OCP.

Specifications are available here.
Very interesting. I had never heard of them before. I've never used any Tyan boards before, I wonder how their support is.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Very interesting. I had never heard of them before. I've never used any Tyan boards before, I wonder how their support is.
They used to be on top in regards to SMP, I think that's really where their main market is anymore for the big E7 stuff and some OEM stuff can't say much on support but it certainly isn't easy to buy.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea, getting the Tyan boards might be interesting.

BTW on the OCP cards: ASUS RS520-E8-RS8 2U Server Review we have some in our ASUS servers in the Sunnyvale lab.

And @Deslok they bet big on AMD in the G34 era. They were doing really well, then AMD basically stopped making chips and the market went away from Tyan's offerings.

balamit

Jan 25, 2016
Well I've got Asrocks D1540D4U-2T8R pretty solid board except the x540 heating up to the point of you can boil eggs on it and failing to boot with ddr4-2400, altought the exact same memory is in their qvl list :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well I've got Asrocks D1540D4U-2T8R pretty solid board except the x540 heating up to the point of you can boil eggs on it and failing to boot with ddr4-2400, altought the exact same memory is in their qvl list :)
Where did you get the board at? Makes sense on the NIC. All of the 10Gbase-T implementations right now seem to require airflow over their heatsinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
That is a fantastic looking board if might be what @JimPhreak is looking for with native support for 14 drives(although I wonder what a SAS12 port multipler costs for that LSI3008 chip)

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
This one here ASRock Rack > D1540D4U-2T8R
6 sata native plus a SAS3008 chip from lsi not sure on moving past 14 drives though some of the expanders I saw on a cursory glance cost as much as another HBA
Oh yup, I commented on that board a page back. Looks ideal. I'm not big on ASRock though I wish SM would put a similar board out. I might be tempted to get that ASRock board once it's available for sale though. I'd be a little concerned about CPU Temps though with that passive heatsink.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Oh yup, I commented on that board a page back. Looks ideal. I'm not big on ASRock though I wish SM would put a similar board out. I might be tempted to get that ASRock board once it's available for sale though. I'd be a little concerned about CPU Temps though with that passive heatsink.
This is listed as coming soon, no idea on price off hand Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP4F

Scratch that it's listed a few places in the ~900 dollar price range so soon must be a few weeks at most. one place (who i've never used "compusource") even lists it as drop ship for purchase today

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
The one thing holding me back on that SM board is the CPU. I don't want to downgrade my 1540. If anything I'd like a bump in CPU power for transcoding. I'd love if SM put out one of those boards with a 1541.

Reactions: _alex

balamit

Jan 25, 2016
@Patrick, from ASI Partners, seems like no one had them in stock so they did drop shipment from ASrock directly. One thing kind a pissed me off a bit that only 1 mini-sas to sata cable is included. Considering I just paid over grand for it, saving $20 on the cable on ASrock part looks... Well cheap. Since it was sas 12gb I end wasting almost a week hunting down a cable that actually works. Avagos seems to work without a glitch, the rest for me were hit and miss.

For the NIC, I just McGyvered 40mm on top of it and smooth sailing at 40c average.

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
I think '-O' is the retail version, i.e. In a regular retail box. Hopefully somebody else here can confirm I am correct.
The single ones at a guess would be single boards repackaged from a multi pack.
Of course could also just be the way it's been added to the web shop.
Thanks for your answer.

That's it ! I bought, this morning, my "X10SDV-4C-TLN4F" (D-1518) from Sona.de after they confirmed they have some boards in stock (limited). Price: 555€ without shipping
UPS transit now !
I think, it's very difficult to have Xeon D boards (Supermicro or others) in Europe. Hard to find resellers who have stock.

Other Info: all Xeon D "wave 2" (1541/1528/1518/etc) boards from Supermicro have PCB 2.0 (1.0x for 1520/1540).

Last edited:

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
that appears to be the truth unfortunately it seems ffmpeg needs to support quick sync first, it's a shame since that seems to be something quick sync would be perfect for and it's in just about everything with an intel IGP even the new atoms (x5-z8300 product brief) seem to have it I couldn't imagine a compute stick as my plex server even with it though...
Plex doesn't but emby does with ffmpeg compiled with quicksync functions. But I like plex way to much to make the switch.too much time and energy spent with my current arrangement. Plex just works and works well.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Plex doesn't but emby does with ffmpeg compiled with quicksync functions. But I like plex way to much to make the switch.too much time and energy spent with my current arrangement. Plex just works and works well.
Agreed. All my users (family members and very close friends) are familiar with Plex and it took some time to get them up to speed. No way I can change course now even though there are indeed some features in Emby that are attractive.

My current Xeon D-1540 does a great job transcoding but I could always use a little more processing power :).

Reactions: Chuntzu