Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
@miraculix that does make some sense about supported vs actual config that would be used (ie fan added), having said that I did not see anywhere the required fan / fan mount to do it. Does not seem to be mentioned in the manual either.
Got me thinking I should change my idea now ... I still can since the board I want is still not yet in stock but actually the active cooled version is.
Sounds like the right choice. They were really scarce last Summer and I was happy to get a passive board.

For anyone dealing with a similar situation... I added a drop of high temp epoxy between each heatsink screw head (which are rimmed and have a shallow cup shape) and the anti vibration pads on a 60mm Noctua. Easy jury rigging and it works great even with the board's vertical mounting.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
Last edited:

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
@Patrick, Can you explain the correlation of the last digit again within the Xeon D-1500 series? 8 = networking optimized. 0 = first batch? 1 = second batch? What is 7 then? The charts rules out higher TDP chip.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
More to the point is do the actual chips (storage,network,regular?) have any actual differences in features or is it all marketing ?

Sort of interested to see the fiber 10g phy boards power consumption.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick, Can you explain the correlation of the last digit again within the Xeon D-1500 series? 8 = networking optimized. 0 = first batch? 1 = second batch? What is 7 then? The charts rules out higher TDP chip.
Mostly marketing/ market segmentation.

I gave the feedback to the Intel marketing team that it is very confusing.

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@Remko, this could be very interesting. I do think you need to fill in some more details before you could get a reasonable critique of what you are building. What OpenStack roles do you see on each "controller". Why are all of the controllers exposed to the public network (which you can't answer until you fill in the first part). Why the use of bonds (are your network 10Gbe?). What storage technology are you using on the storage nodes? If Ceph (which most OpenStack users are coalescing on these days) then do you plan a separate storage network for clustering? Etc.

Frankly, this is not a D-series discussion. It probably should get its own thread rather than hijacking this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Andyreas

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
I am sort of surprised that I can find no one else asking (or just terrible at finding stuff) but is there any releasedates for these? I so want to throw out all old servers at main office and replace with a few of these at 128GB Ram. Probably going for 1567.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am sort of surprised that I can find no one else asking (or just terrible at finding stuff) but is there any releasedates for these? I so want to throw out all old servers at main office and replace with a few of these at 128GB Ram. Probably going for 1567.
These should be hitting much wider availability over the next few weeks.

Reactions: Andyreas

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
These should be hitting much wider availability over the next few weeks.
Patrick, is there a store/vendor list of where to actually get one?

Where would you normally get one of the upper tier ones? (1567/1587)

All I sadly see over here in EU are 1540s if that, on SoC boards. No vendors or even B2B seems to carry them openly (like if I wanted a microblade). I found a single vendor that sold blades rather than just a HW shop that sold the boards on orders (ie no stock but they'd take it home on an order).

I realize these boards are brand new and that FB etc will take 10k+ of them right off the bat, but if I wanted a legit chance of getting a D-1567 before July, where should I look? (I almost don't care about the shipping costs :) )

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick, is there a store/vendor list of where to actually get one?

Where would you normally get one of the upper tier ones? (1567/1587)

All I sadly see over here in EU are 1540s if that, on SoC boards. No vendors or even B2B seems to carry them openly (like if I wanted a microblade). I found a single vendor that sold blades rather than just a HW shop that sold the boards on orders (ie no stock but they'd take it home on an order).

I realize these boards are brand new and that FB etc will take 10k+ of them right off the bat, but if I wanted a legit chance of getting a D-1567 before July, where should I look? (I almost don't care about the shipping costs :) )
Want to shoot me a PM with your e-mail? I can see what I can do.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Have a 1541 on hand now. The passmark numbers are good. Around 1565 single thread and almost 12k overall. The 1567 likely kicks ass. These are serious chips.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I was put into these guys by a fellow member.
They probably should have the new boards if there is any chance.

Search

Wired zone .com (if the search link does not work)

Reactions: Ramos

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Question for those who may know. What kind of performance hit if you don't occupy each channel with a DIMM? E.g. 3 DIMMS instead of 4.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have never tried 3 DIMMs! Are you trying to get 96GB or something?

I actually had 2x 16GB Samsung DDR4 modules fail on me today. Very bummed.