Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Anyone find any good 1U or 2U dual mitx chassis to use yet for this stuff? Obviously a 1U is going to be quite a bit louder than the 2U due to the 40mm fans. The only decently specced dual 1U I found was the Travla T1200 or T1220, where it looks like for 2U is an iStarUSA (Industrial Chassis | iStarUSA Products | D-218M2-ITX - Build-to-Order - 2U Compact Dual Mini-ITX Rackmount Chassis).

I do need to keep noise as a consideration which is why I decided to reconsider only looking at 1U. Any good options for a 2U like the above example but that has at least *one* hot swap drive bay (2.5 preferably)?

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Anyone find any good 1U or 2U dual mitx chassis to use yet for this stuff? Obviously a 1U is going to be quite a bit louder than the 2U due to the 40mm fans. The only decently specced dual 1U I found was the Travla T1200 or T1220, where it looks like for 2U is an iStarUSA (Industrial Chassis | iStarUSA Products | D-218M2-ITX - Build-to-Order - 2U Compact Dual Mini-ITX Rackmount Chassis).

I do need to keep noise as a consideration which is why I decided to reconsider only looking at 1U. Any good options for a 2U like the above example but that has at least *one* hot swap drive bay (2.5 preferably)?
What's your plan for the dual mini-itx systems? Just curious.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
What's your plan for the dual mini-itx systems? Just curious.
I've got two racks mounted that I will be using to store a variety of equipment. A large file server, a small file server, and a few servers for virtualization as well as other purposes. Sure I could mount each mini-itx by itself in a 1U but I have a feeling that doing that will have a higher noise output vs a dual 2U chassis.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I've got two racks mounted that I will be using to store a variety of equipment. A large file server, a small file server, and a few servers for virtualization as well as other purposes. Sure I could mount each mini-itx by itself in a 1U but I have a feeling that doing that will have a higher noise output vs a dual 2U chassis.
Ahhh I see. I'm considering something similar myself. I have a huge bulk media storage server and I'm thinking of throwing all those drives into a JBOD case and putting both my storage server and VM server into the same dual mini-itx chassis. Unfortunately the Travla and that iStarUSA case you linked are the only two I've found as well that are 2U since I'm also concerned about noise.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Ahhh I see. I'm considering something similar myself. I have a huge bulk media storage server and I'm thinking of throwing all those drives into a JBOD case and putting both my storage server and VM server into the same dual mini-itx chassis. Unfortunately the Travla and that iStarUSA case you linked are the only two I've found as well that are 2U since I'm also concerned about noise.
Right. Same general idea. I have an older slim mitx Intel board/cpu that I have in use right now that I was planning on installing on one side and then picking up probably one of the new Gigabyte boards once they are available to go in the other side. ESX can install on a flash drive that I would put into USB but I would prefer at least the addition of a single hot swappable drive per board. Unfortunately that means I am looking back at the Travla as the iStarUSA does not have any.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
@Patrick, FYI just heard back from my Gigabyte rep with updated information (which aligns with your info) that mid march is the estimated release. They are working on sku'ing the boards at the distributors now for the MB10-DS3 and MB10-DS4

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
Is it safe to assume that if I put the Supermicro board with either the D-1520 (45W) or D-1518 (35W) in a Fractal Node 304 case that the 120mm case fans would provide the board sufficient airflow?

Primarily the use would just be a NAS/file server, with occasionally a single Plex transcode

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Is it safe to assume that if I put the Supermicro board with either the D-1520 (45W) or D-1518 (35W) in a Fractal Node 304 case that the 120mm case fans would provide the board sufficient airflow?

Primarily the use would just be a NAS/file server, with occasionally a single Plex transcode
Well SM use the passive model (no cpu fan) in their own mini tower cases so maybe...
I assume if you use both the fans at the front and back you may get enough through airflow to cool it.... Want to test for us ?? :)

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Well SM use the passive model (no cpu fan) in their own mini tower cases so maybe...
I assume if you use both the fans at the front and back you may get enough through airflow to cool it.... Want to test for us ?? :)
I don't think this is valid information. SM does use a CPU fan on their mini server 5028D-TNT4. I would believe you need the CPU fan in the Node 304 for sure unless the lower TDP makes that much of a difference. The 1541/1540 needs it for sure.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am on the plane but will take some pictures of my setup for passive boards and post either tomorrow or Monday.

Reactions: Hank C

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don't think this is valid information. SM does use a CPU fan on their mini server 5028D-TNT4. I would believe you need the CPU fan in the Node 304 for sure unless the lower TDP makes that much of a difference. The 1541/1540 needs it for sure.
SC721TQ-250B
Supermicro | Products | Chassis |Mini-Tower| CSE-721TQ-250B
Take a look at at the supported boards, some are the passive versons.
I was alluding to my doubt it would work that well hence the idea to try it.

My plan is just to have a 120mm fan directly opposite or should I say sitting right above the motherboard and use the passive model. It's not blowing 'through' like a 1u but it will have airflow over all components so hopefully it will work fine.

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
smitty2k1> Passive cooling is only acceptable if your tower have enough airflow (like a rack). If not, cpu heatsink, 10gb heatsink and power heatsing are very hot and you can expect to have the red led lighted up (that means overheat).

For those who have a Xeon-D Supermicro board with fan, what is the reference of the accessory where the fan is attached ?

I want to put a 60mm CPU fan on my X10SDV-4C-TLN4F, but I can't attach it on the heatsink. I think, I need to buy this accessory.
Thanks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
When we say passive, we do mean which fans in the case, not complete passive. The question is how much airflow is really needed and what if it's not 'forced' through the heatsink by shrouds or the tight confines of 1u cases.

My guess one reason supermicro have the 2 versions is that it's not that easy to just attach a fan to th passive version.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
SC721TQ-250B
Supermicro | Products | Chassis |Mini-Tower| CSE-721TQ-250B
Take a look at at the supported boards, some are the passive versons.
Careful, this can be a misleading conclusion. "Supported" doesn't preclude the need to add a fan on top of the HS. Note that the only SuperServer for the chassis that doesn't have an integrated HSF, or one included in the parts list, is Avoton based.

I was alluding to my doubt it would work that well hence the idea to try it.
Better to reference people who have tried it.

Supermicro X10SDV-F Build; Datacenter in a Box | b3n.org
Q: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F cooling?
BUILD - First build of FreeNAS box - X10SDV-4C-TLN2F | FreeNAS Community

My plan is just to have a 120mm fan directly opposite or should I say sitting right above the motherboard and use the passive model. It's not blowing 'through' like a 1u but it will have airflow over all components so hopefully it will work fine.
Maybe someone else will chime in that is running fine without additional cooling or ducting. From my own experiences... I have a passive 4C X10SDV in a Silverstone DS380. Despite a 120mm fan already pulling (not blowing) air across the board, I still had to add a HSF for stability.

I suppose a shroud could've been jury rigged to duct some of that chassis fan air through the heatsink, but why bother.

My guess one reason supermicro have the 2 versions is that it's not that easy to just attach a fan to th passive version.
Nope, the fanless version is meant to be used with chassis fan air adequately ducted through a shroud, for example www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5018/SYS-5018D-FN4T.cfm

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@miraculix that does make some sense about supported vs actual config that would be used (ie fan added), having said that I did not see anywhere the required fan / fan mount to do it. Does not seem to be mentioned in the manual either.
Got me thinking I should change my idea now ... I still can since the board I want is still not yet in stock but actually the active cooled version is.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I have the case with just the passive for HD and fan at the back. HD is 36-40C, SSD is 27C.

Maybe I should add a front intake? This still wouldn't cool the HDs. System temp is 43c, CPU is around 51.