Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
The only reason for the 2630L comparison is TDP. The 1620 V3 is a 140w TDP processor , the 2630L is a 55w which makes it closer to the D1540. If heat/power is not a concern then of course there are other alternatives :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The only reason for the 2630L comparison is TDP. The 1620 V3 is a 140w TDP processor , the 2630L is a 55w which makes it closer to the D1540. If heat/power is not a concern then of course there are other alternatives :)
And that TDP does not include the PCH nor a dual port NIC so even that is a bit off.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Intel has so little competition right now that this is likely the new normal.

At least SSD prices are dropping like a rock this year to keep things amusing.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I don't know really. I mean, this is taking a dual L5520 system, improving performance/ features, adding a dual port 10g nic and cutting power so it can be powered, with over 6GB/s storage bandwidth all on a PicoPSU for $800.

If you look at E5 motherboards those are $300 and a E5-1630 v3 is $375. $175 premium for the NIC and 1/3 power consumption is worth it.

To me it's amazing that Intel is putting out these chips when half the ARM guys are still struggling. That AT piece on the APM X-Gene and C2750 had me scratching my head. The C2750 is a 2013 part. Intel didn't even need to release something like this in the first place.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
"Just confirmed with both SYS and MBD Part Manager. ETA are all for MBD and SYS are all delayed by Intel until End of Oct. Xeon-D SOC processor will not be available prior to end of September for us to start building MBD for them. None will be released in April/May timeframe."

Uhhh, wahhhh??

@Patrick - you hear anything about this?
Mind sharing where that came from (I can guess but wanted to confirm)? PM if needed. I can dig from there. Will have a touchpoint with Intel early next week also to discuss.
Any news concerning the release date?
Tomorrow I will receive a new Supermicro A1SAM 2750 (RMA exchange) and I would like to decide if it is better to sell it on eBay unopended with the 32 GB RAM and use the Money to pay down my CC.
But if release Dates are in Octobre I will use it during the meantime...

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
To me it's amazing that Intel is putting out these chips when half the ARM guys are still struggling. That AT piece on the APM X-Gene and C2750 had me scratching my head. The C2750 is a 2013 part. Intel didn't even need to release something like this in the first place.
I would agree but this is hardly a surprise, Intel has great R&D talent and a huge lead in process technology over all rivals. When they do feel behind in terms of performance its usually a business/marketing issue like Pentium 4 where going for clocks was the end all be all and blindly pursued. As soon as they realize the error of their ways, doesn't take long to recover and leap frog, Core series

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was with the Intel folks yesterday talking about another matter. It is less of a "release date" issue and more of the fact that companies like Facebook/ HP are buying a lot of these for the big cloud installations. Demand > Supply right now so the biggest customers seem to be getting chips first. That is normal since these are the same companies likely already using Broadwell-EP too (which is unreleased.)

I think we will start seeing some more options come out in 3-4 weeks. Unknown what the availability will be like at this point.

I have a slide showing this practice at work but cannot share for about 5-6 weeks.

Reactions: Kristian

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
probably easier for intel too, large scale but small user base for initial product release issues/quirks

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Tomorrow I will receive a new Supermicro A1SAM 2750 (RMA exchange) and I would like to decide if it is better to sell it on eBay unopended with the 32 GB RAM and use the Money to pay down my CC.
But if release Dates are in Octobre I will use it during the meantime...
Could I grab a price and shipping to 3168, Australia?

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
With a pineapple in the name was sure the code would started wit a 4....!!
Nah, and the hilarious part is that I'm a dual citizen with the UK.

I'm quite happy down south with the non heat-affected people who don't need 15 mins to get a single sentence out. :p

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Pretty sure you're right - I guess it'll be entire system boards falling off Google's truck.
I bet we couldn't even use Google's boards!!

Hey I was thinking more. If I were going to have a single server colo... the 8C one with gbe only is all I'd need. More than gigabit monthly bandwidth costs so much compared to the hardware.

Reactions: T_Minus