Info on LSI SAS3408? Got myself a 530-8i on eBay...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ollie2001

Mar 31, 2019
Indeed, nthu9280. Does anyone have a copy of Storclio to complete that? And maybe even have the correct values to set them all to? Not sure if anyone has a retail 9460 card handy?

Ollie2001

Mar 31, 2019
Great thanks, it's got an EFI version too :)

Anyone got the "show all" output from a retail 9460-8i so I can try and Frankenstein my Lenovo 930-8i?

bikeboy24

Apr 7, 2019
Can someone clarify if there is a IT Mode firmware that works on these Lenovo cards? I'm looking through the firmware list for 9400/9440 and I don't see any IT mode specific firmware.

bikeboy24

Apr 7, 2019
I'm getting an error "Failed to validate Image file HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin" when I try to flash using storcli. Any ideas?

bikeboy24

Apr 7, 2019
Did you short J4 jumper and are you running the command in UEFI?
I was trying to flash in Windows. I can't seem to boot into UEFI. I also have no option to boot into the config menu. There's some BETA firmware on the card. There's no option to get into the webbios.

Last edited:

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
I was trying to flash in Windows. I can't seem to boot into UEFI. I also have no option to boot into the config menu. There's some BETA firmware on the card. There's no option to get into the webbios.
Windows is not going to work. You need to short J4 jumper and once you do that Windows will not see the card, so you need to be in UEFI. Beta software is not a problem, they all seem to come with that.

bikeboy24

Apr 7, 2019
Hm...any ideas why I wouldn't see any prompt for Ctrl-H? I've actually tried a few different motherboards.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
Hm...any ideas why I wouldn't see any prompt for Ctrl-H? I've actually tried a few different motherboards.
Most likely because you are booting on UEFI motherboard. Read thru this thread since we discussed similar issue already.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
just wanted to verify:

So there is still no known way to get a Lenovo 530-8i (or it seems a 930-8i for that matter) , to accept NVMe drives (ie like a 9440-8i will)?

Ive read all the posts since i was active here, but just wanted to check in , incase someone has made some progress on that front.
(for now ive been using my 530-8i , with lenovo FW, as a test card when i need a fast sas ssd raid0 array - and my 90$ lsi nvme cable is crying , unused, in the corner lol).

(so weird that Lenovo would allow it on their mezz. card version of the 530-8i , but not on either of their pcie versions... maybe they did it for reasons such as this exact thread, and ppl like us!)
tks

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
@james23 no luck yet on flashing LSI firmware to 530-8i, but I am making progress. See the technical discussion thread that I started.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Here are a bit more detailed flashing instructions for people brand new to this + some additional information.

Avago Tri-Mode cards support UEFI HII (Human Interface Infrastructure) configuration utility. What that means is that you might not have an option to hit CTRL+... during boot process and enter configuration screen like with older cards. The configuration options will instead appear somewhere inside your regular UEFI configuration screen. If and where exactly it appears will depend on your UEFI. This is how it looks in MSI's UEFI.

If you want to use HII config utility and you are using Secure Boot you need to flash signed rom file. If you flash regular file config utility will not appear. If you don't use Secure Boot then it does not matter if you flash signed or unsigned file.

These cards also no longer have IR firmware as such.
9400-8i firmware archive has two files HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin and HBA_9400-8i_Mixed_Profile.bin. I am assuming SAS_SATA allows you to use SAS/SATA drives and Mixed_Profile allows SAS/SATA/NVMe drives, but I am not 100% sure about this.
9440-8i firmware archive has a single MegaRAID file 9440-8i_nopad.rom

Now onto flashing:
  • Download required files:
    • Go to HBA 9400-8i Tri-Mode Storage Adapter
    • Click on 'Firmware' and get latest fimware file: 9400_8i_Pkg_P10_SAS_SATA_NVMe_FW_BIOS_UEFI.zip
    • Click on 'Management Software and Tools' and download latest STORCLI utility: STORCLI_SAS3.5_P10.zip
  • Create a backup. You can do this in EFI shell or Windows/Linux. In Linux you need to run these commands as root, in Windows as administrator.
    • #storcli show all
      lists all available adapters; note the controller index, you will need to use it in all subsequent commands (/cx - specifies the controller where X is the controller index)
    • #storcli /c0 show all
      dumps all information about the controller. I recommend saving the whole output, at a minimum write down the SAS Address
    • Backup misc flash regions to files. Just in case you need them later.
      #storcli /c0 get bios file=backup_bios
      #storcli /c0 get firmware file=backup_firmware
      #storcli /c0 get mpb file=backup_mpb
      #storcli /c0 get fwbackup file=backup_fwbackup
      #storcli /c0 get nvdata file=backup_nvdata
      #storcli /c0 get flash file=backup_flash
  • If you are flashing from MegaRAID firmware to IT firmware:
    • Copy below files to USB drive:
      • ..\EFI\storcli.efi
      • ..\Firmware\HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin
      • ..\SAS35BIOS_Rel\mpt35sas_legacy.rom (optional)
      • ..\UEFI_BSD_HII_SAS3.5_IT_X64\mpt35sas_x64.rom (optional) if secure boot is not used
        or
        ..\UEFI_BSD_HII_SAS3.5_IT_X64\Signed\mpt35sas_x64.rom (optional) if secure boot is used
    • Place jumper on J4 SBR (Serial Boot Rom) header.
    • Boot into EFI shell.
    • Flash firmware:
      #storcli /c0 download file=HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin
      once complete it will show: Description = CRITICAL! Flash successful. Please power cycle the system for the changes to take effect
    • Power off.
    • Remove jumper from J4 header.
    • Boot into EFI shell or OS.
    • Flash legacy BIOS. This step is optional, if you are not sure what this is do not flash it. There is no easy way to remove this, but this can be added later.
      #storcli /c0 download bios file=mpt35sas_legacy.rom
    • Flash UEFI BSD - UEFI HII config utility. This step is also optional. There is no easy way to remove this, but this can be added later. Again, flash signed/unsigned file depending if you use Secure Boot.
      #storcli /c0 download efibios file=mpt35sas_x64.rom
  • If you are flashing from IT firmware to IT firmware. Upgrading or switching from SAS_SATA to Mixed profile. Run this from EFI shell or OS (no need to set J4 jumper):
    • #storcli /c0 download file=HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin
Finally got around to trying th is, got as far as storcli /c0 download file=HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin

REBOOTED, tried the other steps, but no controller showed up. Powered off, removed power for 20 seconds, tried again, and again, and again, even tried other 2 slots, tried jumper back on, nothing. I think the first step bricked the card, the green led on the board just flashes rapidly, and storcli.efi show shows zero adapters. The first part was 100% successful though.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
Finally got around to trying th is, got as far as storcli /c0 download file=HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin

REBOOTED, tried the other steps, but no controller showed up. Powered off, removed power for 20 seconds, tried again, and again, and again, even tried other 2 slots, tried jumper back on, nothing. I think the first step bricked the card, the green led on the board just flashes rapidly, and storcli.efi show shows zero adapters. The first part was 100% successful though.
From my experience can't brick it that easily.

Are you in efi shell or os? Also, do you have it installed in x8 PCIe slot?

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
From my experience can't brick it that easily.

Are you in efi shell or os? Also, do you have it installed in x8 PCIe slot?

Yup, tried both the x8 slots and the x16 slot on my X10SRM-F board, both with the jumper on j4 installed and not, I dont even get the bios message when it starts up, the message that goes like "Avago 530-8i...JBOD...blah blah"

I've got it powered down, will try again tonight, but in all 3 slots + jumper on/off, i can't even do
Code:
storcli.efi show
, it comes back saying zero adapters found.

I'll try it again tonight in all three slots to see if i can get it to come back

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Yup, tried both the x8 slots and the x16 slot on my X10SRM-F board, both with the jumper on j4 installed and not, I dont even get the bios message when it starts up, the message that goes like "Avago 530-8i...JBOD...blah blah"

I've got it powered down, will try again tonight, but in all 3 slots + jumper on/off, i can't even do
Code:
storcli.efi show
, it comes back saying zero adapters found.

I'll try it again tonight in all three slots to see if i can get it to come back

Tried again today when I got home. Was slightly promising when storcli.efi show showed one adapter, however it showed unknown
storcli.JPG

I tried flashing both the bios images with the jumper off, as well as re-flashing the firmware (.bin) with the jumper on, no dice
storcli2.JPG

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
@SPCRich your card is in inoperable mode, but it should be possible to recover it. Look at my post #91 in this thread and try that command.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
@SPCRich your card is in inoperable mode, but it should be possible to recover it. Look at my post #91 in this thread and try that command.

lemmie give that a whirl.

storcli /c0 download completeflash fileone=vtboot01.rom filetwo=9440-8i_nopad.rom
would i use the mptsas35_legacy.rom file in place of the 8440-8i nopad.rom?

or would it be more like

storcli /c0 download completeflash fileone=mpt35sas_legacy.rom filetwo=mpt35sas_x64.rom
Edit: did what #91 said, still got an error:
lsi3.JPG

Last edited:

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
@SPCRich, 9440-8i_nopad.rom is MegaRAID firmware, not IT firmware. You can get it by downloading Lenovo firmware for 530-8i.