Info on LSI SAS3408? Got myself a 530-8i on eBay...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
yup :) just tried that, edited my previous post with the results of the command.
I see, it is rather interesting. I suppose there is something it does not like about the SBR.

Did you have J4 shorted or not, when running completedowload command? If it was shorted try with J4 open.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I see, it is rather interesting. I suppose there is something it does not like about the SBR.

Did you have J4 shorted or not, when running completedowload command? If it was shorted try with J4 open.
Tried with jumper on and off, no difference in result, fails with ERRCD 33110 on SBR

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
Tried with jumper on and off, no difference in result, fails with ERRCD 33110 on SBR
Can you confirm that you got file 9440-8i_nopad.rom from Lenovo update package and not from LSI's website.

I tried writing MR firmware to 530-8i card that is already running IT firmware using
Code:
storcli /c0 download completeflash fileone=vtboot01.rom filetwo=9440-8i_nopad.rom
and as expected card became inoperable, but at least the writing process did not fail as it did for you.

I was then able to recover the card back to working IT mode by writing flash backup that I had using this command:
Code:
storcli /c0 download completeflash fileone=vtboot01.rom filetwo=adp_ctl_dump_flash.rom
Can you try this second command and see if that works for you or not. I uploaded backup file here: IT firmware backup

labo

Jan 21, 2015
Folks, I just bought PERC H740p and trying to crossflash it to Broadcom 9460-8i
Could someone please help me with the StorCLI command to change the VID stuff so I can flash the firmware: 9460-8i_nopad.rom
I did this long time ago for the older cards like IBM ServeRAID, but completely forgot now :)

I see the following for the Braodcom card 9460-8i card:

VID: 1000 DID: 0016 SUB_IDS: 94611000

Thanks in advance
Labo

aing

Jan 9, 2020
Just join the ride to flashing 530-8i into IT mode, but the card can't detect by storcli.... via Ubuntu or CentOS... any clue why?

mysy

Apr 2, 2020
CHINA
Just join the ride to flashing 530-8i into IT mode, but the card can't detect by storcli.... via Ubuntu or CentOS... any clue why?
I suggest your make usb boot disk for UEFI shell , and run it in newer MB support UEFI shell . and user storcli.efi to run update FW operation.
I just update lenovo 430-8i card to LSI 9400 IT FW P14 , it work with Asus Z370-E MB.

vl86m

Jul 15, 2020
So there is still no known way to get a Lenovo 530-8i (or it seems a 930-8i for that matter) , to accept NVMe drives (ie like a 9440-8i will)?

Ive read all the posts since i was active here, but just wanted to check in , incase someone has made some progress on that front.
Hi all.

I have a few of these cards and I've read this thread thru at least 4-5 times (brain isn't what it once was :-/)

Was any conclusion/consensus ever reached on these points:

→ Was it ever determined if there is an IT firmware that can be flashed to →→ enable NVME ←← ?​
→ Was a method ever found to flash LSI/Broadcom 9440-8i MR FW ?
  • ...and if so, do we know what effect, if any, that has on NVME ?

If someone has even a partial answer to any of these please lmk, Thanks!

→ BTW, I have two cards still on native Lenovo MR if anyone (@nezach @james23 @FMA1394 @nthu9280 @BLinux @111alan ?) needs anything off of them e.g., tracernumber, vpd, etc.

For some reason, the latest Lenovo driver I found by googling was the fairly old one mentioned in this thread from Jan 2019 (530-50.5.0-1678)​
...and type "530-x" in the search box to filter you can get a much newer release.​
The latest release as of this post is from Nov 12, 2020​
Version 51.13.0-3624​
BIOS:7.13.00.0​
UEFI Driver:0x070D0301​
HII: 07.13.06.06​
IMR FW: 5.130.01-3318​

Please excuse if it's a breach of etiquette to '@' you out of the blue like this, but since this thread is so old I figured people might not still be following it.

little_big_b

Jun 8, 2021
Dear vl86m

First of all..sorry for the bad grammar and if it sounds direct.:p I'm german and English is not my native language. :D

I think I can give you a few answers but have more questions...:eek:

→ Was it ever determined if there is an IT firmware that can be flashed to →→ enable NVME ←← ?​
  • I used P19 firmware from Broadcom website and successfully transformed a 530-8i to an HBA 9400-8i using HBA_9400-8i_mixed_Profile.bin
  • it recognized my two PM983 (U.2) NVMe SSD, attached via the (f***ing expensive) u.2 enable cable from LSI
  • did not test performance yet, cause I would like to hardware RAID them to RAID1. That's why I would need an answer to your 2nd question, too... :confused:
→ Was a method ever found to flash LSI/Broadcom 9440-8i MR FW ?
  • need to know this too...
  • I tried to erase the entire flash with the erase (excludemfg) command. After that, storcli /cx show told me this adapter is in an invalid state and I have to flash the firmware. Unfortunately, it did not accept 9440-8i_nopad.rom (v 51.17.0-3971), giving me back "invalid checksum" (with and without J4 jumpered). Only get it back to life with the firmware backup (storcli /cx get firmware file=xxx)
  • I also extracted the Firmware Updates from Lenovo using 7zip. Did anyone notice, that Lenovos 9440-8i_nopad.rom is 7MB and Broadcoms is 8MB? At least it is in Lenovos Firmware package from 2017... Lenovos v51.13.0 (I think released in 2020) has 8MB *_nopad.rom.
    I tried to exchange Lenovos 9440-8i_nopad.rom with the latest Broadcom version and execute the "install.bat", but unfortunately it just told me, my Firmware is already up to date and don't need to be flashed. Maybe there is a way to edit the install.bat to skip this check..? I don't know enough about batch to see what needs to be changed, but what I noticed is, it only calls lsiStoreUpdateWin.exe instead of storcli.exe... o_O

for those who would like to have a look at the batch...(I hope, this is not a violation of any forum rule)
Maby someone knows what needs to be changed within the batch file, to turn a 530-8i into a 9440-8i and use NVMe and have Raid capabilities...

@echo off
call vcredist_x86.exe /passive /quiet /install
SET VERSION=50.2.1-0598 #changed the version number higher and lower...made no difference.
SET USERPATH=""
SET FORCE=0 #changed it to 1, also no change in behavior
if not exist %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Lenovo_Support\ (
mkdir %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Lenovo_Support\
)
REM check for command line arguments
if not ["%~1"]==[""] (
if ["%~1"]==["-l"] (
if not "%~2"==[""] (
set USERPATH=%~2
if not ["%~3"]==[""] (
if ["%~3"]==["-f"] (
SET FORCE=1
)
)
)
) else if ["%~1"]==["-f"] (
SET FORCE=1
)
)
echo.
REM Validate the user path
if not [%USERPATH%]==[""] (
echo USERPATH %USERPATH%
ArgValidate "%USERPATH%" "\:"
set rc=%ERRORLEVEL%
if not ["%rc%"]==["0"] exit 1
)
ECHO Update may take several minutes to complete.
if %FORCE% == 1 (
call lsiStorUpdateWin.exe ctlr-info.txt -t MR -pn pn.txt -f
) else (
call lsiStorUpdateWin.exe ctlr-info.txt -t MR -pn pn.txt
)
SET iRC=%ERRORLEVEL%
if %iRC% == 0 (
SET STATUS=Success
ECHO If can any adapters were flashed, a system reboot is required to complete the firmware update process.
ECHO Reboot does not have to occur immediately.
) else (
SET STATUS=Failed
)
if ["%~1"]==[""] goto DEFAULT
if not exist %~1 (
REM Check if hour is less than 10
if %TIME:~0,2% LSS 10 (
echo %DATE:~4,2%:%date:~7,2%:%DATE:~10,4% 0%TIME:~1,1%:%TIME:~3,2%:%TIME:~6,2%,Update=Firmware,New=%VERSION%,Status=%STATUS%,ReturnCode=%iRC% > %~1
) else (
echo %DATE:~4,2%:%date:~7,2%:%DATE:~10,4% %TIME:~1,1%:%TIME:~3,2%:%TIME:~6,2%,Update=Firmware,New=%VERSION%,Status=%STATUS%,ReturnCode=%iRC% > %~1
)
) else (
echo %DATE:~4,2%:%date:~7,2%:%DATE:~10,4% 0%TIME:~1,1%:%TIME:~3,2%:%TIME:~6,2%,Update=Firmware,New=%VERSION%,Status=%STATUS%,ReturnCode=%iRC% >> %~1
) else (
echo %DATE:~4,2%:%date:~7,2%:%DATE:~10,4% %TIME:~1,1%:%TIME:~3,2%:%TIME:~6,2%,Update=Firmware,New=%VERSION%,Status=%STATUS%,ReturnCode=%iRC% >> %~1
)
)
GOTO EXIT
:DEFAULT
REM Set log path
REM logDate Year Mon Day Hour Min
REM Check if hour is less than 10
SET logDate=%DATE:~10,4%%DATE:~4,2%%date:~7,2%0%TIME:~1,1%%TIME:~3,2%%TIME:~6,2%
) else (
SET logDate=%DATE:~10,4%%DATE:~4,2%%date:~7,2%%TIME:~0,2%%TIME:~3,2%%TIME:~6,2%
)
SET logPath=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Lenovo_Support\sraidmr35-530_%logDate%.log
REM 08:18:2004 16:43:46,Update=BIOS,New=1.14,Status=Success,ReturnCode=0
%DATE:~4,2%:%date:~7,2%:%DATE:~10,4% 0%TIME:~1,1%:%TIME:~3,2%:%TIME:~6,2%,Update=Firmware,New=%VERSION%,Status=%STATUS%,ReturnCode=%iRC% > %logPath% 2>&1
) else (
echo %DATE:~4,2%:%date:~7,2%:%DATE:~10,4% %TIME:~1,1%:%TIME:~3,2%:%TIME:~6,2%,Update=Firmware,New=%VERSION%,Status=%STATUS%,ReturnCode=%iRC% > %logPath% 2>&1
)
:EXIT
exit %iRC%

best regards,
Ben

Kim Bjoern

Feb 26, 2020
Denmark
Here are a bit more detailed flashing instructions for people brand new to this + some additional information.

Avago Tri-Mode cards support UEFI HII (Human Interface Infrastructure) configuration utility. What that means is that you might not have an option to hit CTRL+... during boot process and enter configuration screen like with older cards. The configuration options will instead appear somewhere inside your regular UEFI configuration screen. If and where exactly it appears will depend on your UEFI. This is how it looks in MSI's UEFI.

If you want to use HII config utility and you are using Secure Boot you need to flash signed rom file. If you flash regular file config utility will not appear. If you don't use Secure Boot then it does not matter if you flash signed or unsigned file.

These cards also no longer have IR firmware as such.
9400-8i firmware archive has two files HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin and HBA_9400-8i_Mixed_Profile.bin. I am assuming SAS_SATA allows you to use SAS/SATA drives and Mixed_Profile allows SAS/SATA/NVMe drives, but I am not 100% sure about this.
9440-8i firmware archive has a single MegaRAID file 9440-8i_nopad.rom

Now onto flashing:
  • Download required files:
    • Go to HBA 9400-8i Tri-Mode Storage Adapter
    • Click on 'Firmware' and get latest fimware file: 9400_8i_Pkg_P10_SAS_SATA_NVMe_FW_BIOS_UEFI.zip
    • Click on 'Management Software and Tools' and download latest STORCLI utility: STORCLI_SAS3.5_P10.zip
  • Create a backup. You can do this in EFI shell or Windows/Linux. In Linux you need to run these commands as root, in Windows as administrator.
    • #storcli show all
      lists all available adapters; note the controller index, you will need to use it in all subsequent commands (/cx - specifies the controller where X is the controller index)
    • #storcli /c0 show all
      dumps all information about the controller. I recommend saving the whole output, at a minimum write down the SAS Address
    • Backup misc flash regions to files. Just in case you need them later.
      #storcli /c0 get bios file=backup_bios
      #storcli /c0 get firmware file=backup_firmware
      #storcli /c0 get mpb file=backup_mpb
      #storcli /c0 get fwbackup file=backup_fwbackup
      #storcli /c0 get nvdata file=backup_nvdata
      #storcli /c0 get flash file=backup_flash
  • If you are flashing from MegaRAID firmware to IT firmware:
    • Copy below files to USB drive:
      • ..\EFI\storcli.efi
      • ..\Firmware\HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin
      • ..\SAS35BIOS_Rel\mpt35sas_legacy.rom (optional)
      • ..\UEFI_BSD_HII_SAS3.5_IT_X64\mpt35sas_x64.rom (optional) if secure boot is not used
        or
        ..\UEFI_BSD_HII_SAS3.5_IT_X64\Signed\mpt35sas_x64.rom (optional) if secure boot is used
    • Place jumper on J4 SBR (Serial Boot Rom) header.
    • Boot into EFI shell.
    • Flash firmware:
      #storcli /c0 download file=HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin
      once complete it will show: Description = CRITICAL! Flash successful. Please power cycle the system for the changes to take effect
    • Power off.
    • Remove jumper from J4 header.
    • Boot into EFI shell or OS.
    • Flash legacy BIOS. This step is optional, if you are not sure what this is do not flash it. There is no easy way to remove this, but this can be added later.
      #storcli /c0 download bios file=mpt35sas_legacy.rom
    • Flash UEFI BSD - UEFI HII config utility. This step is also optional. There is no easy way to remove this, but this can be added later. Again, flash signed/unsigned file depending if you use Secure Boot.
      #storcli /c0 download efibios file=mpt35sas_x64.rom
    • Set SAS address
      #storcli /c0 set sasadd=500...
    • Set assembly number
      #storcli /c0 set assemblynumber=03-5000...
    • Set tracer number/serial number
      #storcli /c0 set tracernumber=SP...
  • If you are flashing from IT firmware to IT firmware. Upgrading or switching from SAS_SATA to Mixed profile. Run this from EFI shell or OS (no need to set J4 jumper):
    • #storcli /c0 download file=HBA_9400-8i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin
Perfect! Worked like a charm for me!

esses

Mar 12, 2018
Broadcom have apparently shuffled their website around, and many of the links in this thread now appear to be broken.

I've been attempting to troubleshoot some performance issues on what should be some fairly fast drive arrays, and think my 9400-8i might be running a truly ancient firmware;

Code:
Basics :
======
Controller = 0
Adapter Type =   SAS3408(B0)
Model = HBA 9400-8i
Serial Number = SP*******6
Current System Date/time = 04/24/2023 **:21:08
Concurrent commands supported = 8704
SAS Address =  500605b00cfb1850
PCI Address = 00:43:00:00

Version :
=======
Firmware Package Build = 02.00.05.02
Firmware Version = 02.00.05.00
Bios Version = 09.03.00.00_02.00.00.00
NVDATA Version = 02.08.00.10
PSOC Version = 00000000
Driver Name = mpt3sas
Driver Version = 43.100.00.00
It's running a SuperMicro SC846 SAS3 expander backplane. I've ensured both cables are connected to the correct ports on the backplane as per SuperMicro's documentation.

Are there any surviving and kosher links to a newer firmware? The FTP site listed has some firmwares from 2019, and a suspiciously typo'd and broken .zip "Dupliate_Mid_Files_July_2020.zip"

vl86m

Jul 15, 2020
Broadcom have apparently shuffled their website around, and many of the links in this thread now appear to be broken.

I've been attempting to troubleshoot some performance issues on what should be some fairly fast drive arrays, and think my 9400-8i might be running a truly ancient firmware;

It's running a SuperMicro SC846 SAS3 expander backplane. I've ensured both cables are connected to the correct ports on the backplane as per SuperMicro's documentation.

Are there any surviving and kosher links to a newer firmware? The FTP site listed has some firmwares from 2019, and a suspiciously typo'd and broken .zip "Dupliate_Mid_Files_July_2020.zip"
Most recent one I can find:

[zip] 9400_8i_Pkg_P24_SAS_SATA_NVMe_FW_BIOS_UEFI
Phase 24SAS3.5Package Firmware, BIOS and UEFI
DATE: 08/09/2022 SIZE: 3088 KB

Reactions: esses

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
this set of steps worked on my Lenovo branded Avago 530-16i on a UEFI board.
ALSO, if you plan to use these as a RAW HBA, don't bother with step 5 and 6.
NOTE: GET YOUR SAS ADDRESS! it will be blank and step 7 is required.

Hi,
I have the knowledge of the 530-8i HBA 9400-8i

download FW:
HBA 9400-8i Tri-Mode Storage Adapter

1. We have jumper J4 - ON. And boot to efi

2. storcli / cx download firmware file = HBA_9405W-16i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin

3. We have jumper J4 - OFF.

4. boot to efi

5. storcli / cx download efibios file = mpt35sas_x64.rom

6. storcli.efi / cx download bios file = mpt35sas_legacy.rom

7. storcli.efi / cx set sasadd= (sas asdress)

Boubou30

Feb 8, 2024
Hi, has someone managed to flash the Lenovo RAID 530-8i card with Broadcom firmware (HBA_9400...), it would be great if someone had this solution, because every time I try with the procedures described here, Storcli displays invalid checksum for the firmware, Thank you

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
Hi, has someone managed to flash the Lenovo RAID 530-8i card with Broadcom firmware (HBA_9400...), it would be great if someone had this solution, because every time I try with the procedures described here, Storcli displays invalid checksum for the firmware, Thank you

the jumper goes on J11 on these (the pins that are almost touching the heatsink on the PCIE bracket side of the card.
the SAS address is on the label on the SAS connector.

i have done a few of these lenovo 530 cards now and they all convert to LSI 9400 HBA correctly.

Reactions: Boubou30