How to make the most of a 1.15Gbps (Gig1) Virgin Media ISP

ChuckMountain

Nov 6, 2019
As a long time lurker I've often visited this thread in the past. I finally got my act together yesterday and replaced my Asus RT-AX5300 router with a Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ and 10GBE SFP+ transceiver. After a couple of minor teething issues I successfully got the new router to connect to my Superhub 4 in modem mode using the balance-rr config information supplied here. It's been giving me connections in excess of 1000Mbps reliably since I set it up last night.

So, thanks for posting this (but don't tell my wife! ;) )
Glad you got sorted, and don't worry just added another 10GB switch with more ports ...

Just wondering when the 2.2Gbps trial is going to roll out as I really want a better upload speed :)

Blueyonderer

Oct 13, 2020
Yeah - the upload/download speeds we get are pretty imbalanced. Hyperoptic are installing in our area (symmetric Gbit connection) but they seem to be concentrating on blocks of flats where they can recoup their costs quickly. I registered interest with them a couple of years ago but have heard nothing back.

With regard to the original subject of this thread: after reading more about using link aggregation with a SuperHub 4 elsewhere, I've tweaked my original config to bond the router using four lanes rather than two (ether1..4 in my case) since this is meant to be more reliable and gives more headroom if download speeds do increase in future. I can confirm that this method works well and I'm getting download speeds of 1000Mbps+ at all times of day now, which is great given the current working from home situation. I've still got the superhub running in 'modem' mode so there's no double-NATting, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckMountain

carbon60

Dec 17, 2018
Glad you got sorted, and don't worry just added another 10GB switch with more ports ...

Just wondering when the 2.2Gbps trial is going to roll out as I really want a better upload speed :)
They're supposed to be going to 100Mbit upload speed on the Gig1 service 'at some point' but who knows when that might be.

a5ian300zx

Aug 26, 2012
My friend just got the Virgin 1gig service and got a Dream Machine Pro which has 10gig WAN port (SFP+) + 1gig WAN RJ45 and 8x1 gig ports he gets 950Mbps on his connection.

Pfsense, untangle it will depend on what you have enabled and the hardware spec eg if you have IDS IPS protection it will affect the performance.

Last edited:

Blueyonderer

Oct 13, 2020
950Mbps is the maximum speed achievable via a single cable to a VM Superhub since its 4 LAN ports are gigabit only. Your friend would need to bond two or more ports (as above) to achieve speeds higher than this, assuming its possible on his Dream Machine. The next iteration of the hub will surely need to have at least one multigig output on it, which would negate the need for this, since VM are actively testing 2.2Gbit downloads in some areas just now and very few will have the hardware/knowledge necessary to take advantage of the extra bandwith.

Reactions: a5ian300zx