GPU Passthrough ESXi 6.5 - nVidia Quadro 2000

How should i proceed ?

• Buy an AMD Radeon/Vega, you cheap bastard!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Buy an nVidia 1070Ti (or equivalent), you cheap bastard!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give up, this is hopeless.

• Learn some VMware, n00b.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Join the Discord server for help.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
So i'm now roughly half a week into my second attempts at troubleshooting GPU passthrough. I've researched information on VMware's site, as well as this great thread: Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5

Unfortunately, i just cannot seem to figure out where i'm going wrong and was wondering if someone with a bit more experience (i.e. everyone here) could chime in and nudge me in the proper direction. I understand this can be entirely dependent upon your hardware, so please do clue me in if i'm barking up the wrong tree, but my meager comprehension suggests difficulties with nVidia cards in general, but the fact i'm not working with consumer grade cards would hopefully be a boon to my efforts. Thank you in advance for any advice or information.

Let's start with some system specs and information:
Cisco UCSC-C240-M3S server single node compute host
16 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2665 0 @ 2.40GHz (x2)
192 GB RAM
nVidia GF106GL [Quadro 2000] (x3) GPUs
Vmware-ESXi-6.5d.0-5310538-Custom-Cisco-6.5.0.3 (CISCO)

I began attempting to pass through all three GPUs to a single Win10 VM, but quickly realized that was a mistake. This caused some brief panic the very first time it brought the entire system to its knees, i was terrified seeing: [F0174][critical][equipment-inoperable][sys/rack-unit-1/board] P_CATERR_N: A catastrophic fault has occurred on one of the processors: Please check the processors' status.

Quickly researching this told me my hardware was fried and i thought i had really messed up. Thankfully, a quick power cycle via CIMC gets us back to where we began. After life getting in the way, i've finally found time to toy with this a bit more, albeit with not much success, however this time only attempting a single GPU and a new Win10 VM. Should i be trying Windows 7? I was hoping to set up some disposable Windows VM workstations that can be accessed via RDP across the LAN/VPN. I'm obviously lost.

Have i neglected to include any pertinent information? Is this hopeless? Welcome all suggestions at this point if you've managed to read this far. Thank you for your time and attention to my little wannabe homelab matter.

EDIT: Perhaps i'm lacking the proper order of operations. The Windows 10 VM boots fine with no PCI devices passed through. I worked through the memory reservation errors i experienced. I believe the hardware has finally been properly configured.
Capture1.PNG

Last edited: